1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zerg's deevolution -- or so i see it.

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by deth moad ue, May 24, 2010.

Zerg's deevolution -- or so i see it.

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by deth moad ue, May 24, 2010.

1. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

It's only 5 hp per second (10 hp per second with Tunneling Claws).

I used to agree with this, but changed my mind.

Corruptors are AtA only. If you can't transform them into brood lords, they can become useless. Just think of all that wasted money!

Too much work. Just set burrow to auto-cast. (Yes, you can do that now!) Any zerg unit with an attack will automatically unburrow and attack approaching enemies when you do this.

2. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

I still have high hopes of Lurkers being in the campaign.

3. Gandromidar

Gandromidar New Member

Queensland, Australia
    I thought the Lurker was still in the game?! :O Totally. Ruined. The. Game. :(

4. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

I don't get the popularity of the lurker. The zerg were great to play with before Brood war as well, and bacck then they didnt have lurkers

5. Mattbaumann777

Mattbaumann777 New Member

I posted two videos to this thread showing how you can use Lurkers in multiplayer to defend your base againt assaults of about 40 zealots without losing many units. You weren't able to to do that before Broodwar came out. Broodwar really helped Terran and Protoss with their medics and Dark Templar/Archon. I still have no idea why Lurkers were in the alpha build of Sc2 and now they are gone. The Protoss still have Dark Templars and the Terran still have Medics, so I would think the Zerg should keep Lurkers.

Like I said before, without the Lurker, the Zerg have no unit that can attack while cloaked. The Baneling is close, but it's solely suicide damage like an Infested Terran. Lurkers have a way better range and are the Zerg equivalent of a tank. Basically, if you can get them into position, you have an advantage against ground units just like tanks do. Lurkers are great defense early game and stop all sorts of things like mass marines, zergling rush, and zealot rush. Late, game, I use them like I do in the video, to seal my base from ground attack while I'm off attacking somewhere else, or setting a trap around my minerals in case there's a drop on me. Also, I would bring Lurkers when I attack through a Nydus canal so they defend the canal while the lings and Hydras attack the enemy's base.

I'll post my videos again.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gYwawXrWAY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm3sYLFVtfE

6. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

actually, the terrans no longer have medics and the protoss no longer have dark archons

7. Mattbaumann777

It doesn't matter that the Protoss don't have dark Archons anymore, the dark templars are the ones that attack while cloaked. I personally think they should have kept the dark archons though.
    The Terrans have the Medivac Dropship which heals infantry, so is that really much different than a medic? The Protoss and Terran still are the only races with a unit that can attack while cloaked. You can say Banelings do this but it's suicide damange and they have no range so they are no replacement for seige units.

8. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

Why would every race need something that can attack while cloaked? Trying to keep the races apart and all that.

9. Mattbaumann777

I'm not sure why all races need a cloaked attacker, but it worked in the original Starcraft for the reasons I outlined before, so why would it be a bad thing in Sc2? Defending your base from mass Zerglings and seeing them all die from the Lurker's spikes is much more satisfying than leaving your base open to any stampede that comes along. The range was also nice too, it helped you push your forces toward your enemy, or screw him over where he doesn't have observers.

10. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

Thing is... every race lost cool units. They had to, in order to make room for cool new units.

Blizzard nerfed stealth, which is one reason lurkers got moved to tier 3. (The other being the increase in tier for hydralisks.) It didn't work out well.

11. Mattbaumann777

I have no problem with Lurkers being Tier 3. I think it makes the game more dynamic when every race has a cloaking unit. It forces the other player to actually use detection properly. I know every race lost something, but Lurkers were my favourite unit, I only hope they don't nerf the roaches too much. I think they should buff their range or regeneration if they're going to be 2 supply.

12. snowden0908

snowden0908 New Member

Chicago
    Honestly, the reason the Lurker isn't in the game is probably because Blizzard tested it and it didn't work well in any of their tests.

Despite Blizzard being fairly money-hungry these days (the Activision influence probably), they still have to make the game up to quality standards, so if something is done a certain way despite a vocal group of protesters... it is probably that way for a certain reason.

Also, there is more beta to come. So since Blizzard probably sees people clamoring for Lurkers, they may be included in the next phase or the final game. Like chat rooms, hopefully...

If it works, it will probably be included sooner or later, maybe even in an expansion (3 expan$ions, maybe units will be thrown in there...)

13. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    I seem to remember reading somewhere that the reason for not including the lurker and changing the attack animation of the spine crawler is that with 3D models the protruding tentacles were hard to implement in a visually pleasing way.

14. snowden0908

snowden0908 New Member

Chicago
    "visually pleasing way."

since when have zerg been visually pleasing? haha

15. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

than read 'a way that does not induce psychotic laughing'

16. Mattbaumann777

That's kinda funny they removed Lurkers because they didn't look cool enough. I'd rather have Lurkers than Roaches. I hope they at least buff the roaches before releasing the game. I'm surprised how many units from the original game are in Starcraft 2 actually. I was expecting them to be more creative with the units, especially for the Zerg. Think of all the weird stuff you could do with insects/creatures, especially in a Science Fiction setting.

17. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    Yea, I think they need to at least have lurkers as a last teir thing like the broodlords. And they could be like expensive and high damage and very low HP, like DT's. And you'd probly see them less then DTs.

18. Mattbaumann777

Yeah, that would be nice. Every time I play the original Starcraft, Lurkers save my *** whenever a mass of ground units is making a run for my base. The Zerg need a seige type of unit like this that has decent range.
    The other unit I believe they are missing is a good anti-air unit. The corrupters just do conventional damage as far as I know, as opposed to Devourers that softened up targets for the Mutas with their special damage. Plus you had scourges capable of taking out Carriers.

19. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    don't currupters have an ability that makes the unit targeted with the abiltiy take more damage or something?
    but I agree that lurkers should be added at least for a little bit, besides higher cost and teir level will make them avalible for when you are in that later game when the terran has a massive ball of bio/mech where the lurkers would allow the zerg to have some sort of defence or way of slowing down the terran army while the zerg endlessly pump units to kill the terran army. I do also think that going air with zerg dosen't seem very strong at this point in time but I think if we saw a game were someone took the map control, kept the enemy in there base/expansion, and macro'd a huge air we would then be like "oh, maybe zerg have a very liable air force. But I think for a zerg player you need to get the early game map control and mass expand to just overrun your oponent with the plain units that they have, I think that for the most part when you play zerg you feel that you don't know what to make cuz there isn't quite as much to choose from where other races seem to have a lot of units that give them a lot of choices. However watching pro matches on YouTube *Cough* with HDstarcraft and Husky *Cough* it doesn't seem that way.

BRING BACK DA LURKERS!!! (even if the reason is that there simply an awesome unit.)

20. Mattbaumann777

I'm not sure if Corruptors have any special attack, I thought it was all conventional damage. I haven't played the beta so I'm curious if Nydus worms can go anywhere or only to specific locations. If so, how do you do a drop now? Also, do the hydras ever get a speed upgrade?