1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zergling's look

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by starcraft2iscoming, May 29, 2007.

Zergling's look

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by starcraft2iscoming, May 29, 2007.

1. GuiMontag

GuiMontag New Member

2. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Besides the wings, I hate how the zergling's back looks.  Although I dislike the wings, I hate their backs even more.

The way a ling's back is made up of segments make it look like the abdomen of a grasshopper or other insects with that similar type of segmented abdomen.  Makes it feel like you could should step on those soft bellies and pop them.

So far I'm not real happy with the zerg unit designs that I've seen, namely muta and zergling.  Zerglings should look like zerglings.

Classy and timeless zergling desgns:

[img width=50 height=50]http://static.last.fm/groupavatar_thumbnails/e36b3bb99595111a70a552f4a02feda7.gif[/img]
    [img width=423 height=396]http://polyphobia.de/nonpublic/muddles/blizz/zergling03.jpg[/img] [img width=408 height=491]http://www.siteduzero.com/uploads/fr/files/57001_58000/57493.jpg[/img]

3. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    Those claws sticking out of its back don't make sense to me. Are those used for attacking? I always thought the zergling sort of sits down when attacking and uses its forelegs.Those things look skinny and useless alltogether plus it would make running hard which is a logical reason to evolve: get rid of them and have wings instead :) It would make sense to me especially because when a zergling is hit in a cinematic trailer in SC it looks more like an invertebrate (bug) than a dog-like thing. It's legs also indicate that.

4. burkid

burkid New Member

it attacks with the claws on the back and moves using the claws on the legs. the ones with wings still have the claws on their backs.

5. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    The extra pair of limbs on the back of zerglings is one of the key points in zergling design, it's their trade mark.  I believe it has been in every single version of zerging design so far, including early SC1 concept sketch in the manual and the current SC2 zergling design.

Those wings sticking out of its back don't make sense to me.  Are those used for flying?

And what's this nonsense about zergling being insect-like in past designs?  The zergling has never been insect-like until the SC2 design.  Their build was muscular, their texture leathery, and they have had claws, sharp teeth, a tail, and proper jaw structures of animals.

Every part of their physical visual design indicate predatorial animal, not insect.  Even if you examine the hindleg alone, you can tell that is the leg structure of animals, you see the same kind of joints in dogs, rabits, mice, cats, horse, you name it, it goes on.  Insect-like legs would be in the shape of this
    _/\( ' ' )/\_ where the first section generally angles upward then the subsequent section angled back down.  It is because insects generally hug onto surfaces and they don't gallop, lings gallop like there's no tomorrow.

6. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Wow, I like those ling pictures you got there Remy. What're they from?

Back on topic: an insectoid ling don't make much sense. The zerg only absorb the strongest, toughest, and most useful creatures they could find, and an insect is neither. This dune runner is more likely to be a lizard, which are stronger and tougher than insects, not to mention more useful.

7. ShdwyTemplar

ShdwyTemplar New Member

Tacoma, Washington
    Well after rereading my post today I realize one thing. I totally forgot to state my actual position on the wings/look of Zerglings and simply stated that they looked like they do because of evolution. Well, best effort I've put into anything that late. Anyways Remy ty for making some of those facts a bit clearer to me.
    Well, in an effort to maybe help this a bit. I agree :p The Zergling look is gone from that ferocious beast that scared the crap outta me the first time I saw one. (I been playing SC too long) Though, just need to say don't expect the Lings to evolve to Zerg Dogs of War (Further Dog-like Appearance). The Zerg tried that once not so pretty. http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Roverlisk I would love to see them in a more creative form other than taking the path of Starship Troopers. In all actuality the Dune Runner could have been absorbed as an insect (My reasoning is in the Zerg experiment with all types of DNA at one point or another, it just isn't always used check the Roverlisk article) ,but as Remy said and I clearly forgot at around the time I made a few post last night. Lore does not make units. Units make Lore. Btw he's Remy he can get anything. ;D

8. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    I really hate this whole insect thing.

I don't really care what the hell a dune runner really is, but if my ass was overmind and I was in charge of things I would never assimilate any insect DNA into the Zerg.

If you had a choice, would you choose to be the food or the one who eat that food?  The burger or the mouth?  I don't know about you, but I'd be the mouth eating that burger.  Insect is at the bottom of the food chain, to go any lower you would have to be grass.  Zerg Grass: 50 minerals, 0.1 food, 0 attack, 0 sight, 0 speed, 0 armor, the ability to stay perfectly still and be eaten.

EDIT:  The Roverlisk piece is very amusing, I never knew about it, is it canon?

And yes I'm Remy, but no I can't just get anything.  My opinion carries the same weight as anyone else's, the opinion of every member is equally important.  But you'll see me really go at it because I personally enjoy meaningful discussions and debates, that's just how I am.  So I generally keep supporting my opinions/arguments unless I am genuinely convinced otherwise.

9. FLATL1NE

FLATL1NE New Member

Haha, I agree that I would like to see Lings in their previous form (and I love those models that Remy found).
    On a further note...I would definately be grass :good:.

10. ShdwyTemplar

ShdwyTemplar New Member

Tacoma, Washington
    Remy as an Overmind.... interesting choice. Remy and Hamburgers or Overmind and Grass. I choose Hamburgers! ;D
    All in all I think the Zergling should be remodeled as you said Remy. Btw I would try to ignore my Lore rants a lot. Its mostly speculation combined with knowledge from Blizzard giving an interesting backdrop to an interesting unit. One thing thats confused the hell outta me in this whole subject is why the Zergling appears to have lost its two lower limbs and replaced them with the blade arm removing the ones from there upper body. I think my whole evolution theory is throw out the window there. :p So the real question becomes should the Zergling get a Remodeling. Yes or No. I think Yes noting that the Zerg need to retrieve that Deadly Nature to them not this elongated insect. As looking on the Zergling Wiki Page Blizzard was considering giving them Bloodlust when in a pack for SC:G? Why go away from hound-like creatures to insects so rapidly in SC2? I may invest more time into this thread than I previously thought. ;)

11. SirBaron

SirBaron New Member

@Remy: I doubt the Roverlisk is canon.

Well, anyways... the wings gotta go. It's a big turn-off, really... not intimidating at all.
    Blizzard had best not wreck any more Zerg graphics, or i'm gonna cry blood :p

12. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    ShdwyTemplar I'm don't understand what you're saying about zergling losing two lower limbs that are replaced with blade arms instead.

Zergling has always been four-legged and ran on all four legs AFAIK.  And as I've said previously, every version of zergling has had the "blade arms."  This is true even with SC2 zergling.  The only difference with SC2 ling is insect wings and the segmented back that looks like insect abdomen in-game.

Here is the SC2 zergling shown in the artwork trailer, check it out for yourself.
    [img width=430 height=355]http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/6465/sc2artworktrailerzergliee5.jpg[/img]
    At first glance it might look like the zergling is at an angle facing away from you and flying away.  However, if you look carefully, you'll realize that the picture is a zergling viewed directly from the side at 90 degrees.  The wings, blade arm, and legs are not shown in pairs.  Only one of each is shown, the one closest to the viewer.

13. kehmdaddy

kehmdaddy New Member

Wow, I can't wait to see an awesome CG Zergling in a cinematic... that's a great drawing. They look much more evil and.. kind of demonic, actually, than what I was imagining. Those wings are beat though, haha.

14. slugonice

slugonice New Member

They have wings coz they're rapidly evolving!

15. Protosscommander

Protosscommander New Member

well those zerglings has a wings well good for them in order for them to moved quikly and it will add their self an agility. :)

16. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

IMO these winged-zerglings ("winglings") better be a non flying unit coz its really gonna mess up d game.. imagine zerglings in air ravaging motherships, BCs, or Carriers now wouldnt that be too hot to handle?? anyway if they will really pursuit on building that concept, i suggest that they just make it an upgrade for the zerglings to be able to cliff climb perhaps but not float in space???

So on the other hand about the roverlisks.... i really dont think that it will be present on the zerg faction coz to think of it we have too much mini-melee units now (zerglings,banelings,broodlings??) and we dont want to add another weak link on the chain right?? Maybe they rather just stay with the old concept for the zerglings but just giving them a new cliffing upgrade...

"Winglings" are definitely gonna rule air fights if they will ever be floating the skies, so if one really looks at the gravity of the situation, every other races are surely gonna have troubles against swarming air unit zerglings now do they?? ^_^ maybe we should just wait till we see them creeping this creepy season (holoween zerg-trick-or-treat!) ^_^

17. Protosscommander

Protosscommander New Member

well anyway the zerglings in starcraft 2 is much better than the zergling s in starcraft and starcraft broodwar because of their ability to evolved in baneling ohh becuase in Starcraft 1 and expansion these zerglings are useles when it comes to the seige tank, but not thay can fight those zealots even those mighty colossus :)

18. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    You never heard of darkswarm or lurkers?

19. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    I'm pretty sure cracklings could take down collosi very, very quickly.

20. venado

venado New Member

maybe with their wings they can jump cliff, like reapers...