1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zergling's look

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by starcraft2iscoming, May 29, 2007.

Zergling's look

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by starcraft2iscoming, May 29, 2007.

1. millions

millions New Member

yeah even thou some people dont like the wings i like them .....what can make a mass of zerglings more devastating ......"flying" zerglings lol

2. Deadpool

Deadpool New Member

i agree they look a ton like the felhounds and wile were on the subject of units lookin like other units from W3 did u guys relize that the mutalisks kinda look like gargoyles from w3 and i liked the look of the zerglings from SC1 how they kinda looked like raptors i thought was aweasome but i do like the new model more and mayb its not wings were seeing look at this pic http://reps.ru/img/sc2_3.jpg i dont see any wings here and this clearly isnt an old model but mayb they decided not to use this one who knows

3. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

ZzZz This is getting really lame. Stop posting about units looking like other units. The new zerglings look much different from felhounds than the old ones. Insects FTW!

4. DontHate

DontHate New Member

I liked the reptile look from the first one more than this, but eh, i'm not complaining.

5. LJYLJ

LJYLJ New Member

i did read (or did i dream?) somewhere that the zergling could upgrade something that made it jump DOWN cliff... he couldnt jump UP it..but down.. kinda liked the idea, hope it wasent a dream 8)

6. GuiMontag

GuiMontag New Member

i think your dreaming :p

7. burkid

burkid New Member

in the thread "the fate of the ultralisk" somebody suggested that ultras could jump down cliffs, then someone else said that it could apply to lings. thats the only place ive seen what you are suggesting.

8. Patuljak

Patuljak New Member

Slovenia
    The new concept art for the ling is AWESOME!

9. Star-Crap

Star-Crap Guest

wheres it at homes?

10. Patuljak

Patuljak New Member

Slovenia

11. Deadpool

Deadpool New Member

12. burkid

burkid New Member

that is the zergling from SC:ghost. the zergling in SC2 is in the artwork trailer.

13. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    I like the winged zergling idea and I do see the possibility for the zergling to be similar to locusts, meaning they can glide down cliffs with their wings but they're not strong enough to actually lift them.
    But how would all this work if the bottom of the cliff was totally crowded I don't know.

14. Greenlord

Greenlord Guest

They look different because they evolved.

15. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    I personally prefer to look of the dino dog, it's more menacing. Locust goes well with the swarming theme, but just doesn't incite fear like dino dogs, it's an insect after all.

Korean people eat roasted locusts/grasshoppers as snacks. Although it was more common back in my parents' generation.

The new design just doesn't look good or badass. In all the screenshots the lings look like mole crickets, if you know what they are, and that's not a good thing. Here's a pic. [img width=670 height=670]http://www.animalpicturesarchive.com/Arch03/1133018085.jpg[/img]

I say, that unless the wings are there to serve a specific purpose that require it, such as flying(not hopping), they should get rid of it.

16. TheFearless

TheFearless New Member

zerglings as dinosaurs are cool

17. ShdwyTemplar

ShdwyTemplar New Member

Tacoma, Washington
    I think it's time to bring attention to something thats being overlooked here. One the Zergling DNA Strain is neither spawned from a Bird (Although I'm not sure if anyone mentioned them being from a Bird before)nor a Dinosaur it is as Blizzard has explained a Dune Runner, which, although it seems like may be a Small Lizard or Bird, is more likely to be an Insect that dwells on the land and more often than not in the water. I Imagine the most likely species of the Dune Runner is a Insect of sorts. The point being that the Zergling has evolved/adapted from its basic DNA as do all living things over a period of time I Will try to explain this by using basic evidence.

This Link will explain the Zergling a bit more. http://www.battle.net/scc/zerg/units/zergling.shtml

1. The Zergling can only be Morphed to by a Larvae once a Zerg Spawning Pool has been made. This would seek to believe that the Zergling comes from a animal that is or lives at Birth in the Water. Suspecting that it could still be an Insect or Lizard. This will be narrowed down soon as many Lizards and Insects nest in the Water or Nearby.

2. The Zergling in Sc2 Takes characteristics of its most basic Genealogy, an Insect as it seems, as it now has evolved from the four legged hound like insect (Much like a Water Bug and Cricket) into a Insect keeping the basic form now with wings for aerodynamic capabilities and what seems to be two less legs. (Faster movement) This evolution/adaption is what happens to all species when the need arises. The Zergling are being shot by guns/psi weaponry/ect. , therefore, they need to get to the weapons, and ect quicker. So, they evolve, not so surprising for the Zerg no? It also makes sense with the idea that they come from a insect that may have been from the water. ( A Miskito for example has wings and can glide on the waters surface.)

3. My final clue into this is the fact that the Zerglings DNA make-up is very simple and can spawn 2 at once from a single Egg. The Egg resembles a Insects egg and with that in mind considering the Zerg Swarm takes a good amount of its look from Insects as of this far. So it isn't all surprising that the Zerglings have evolved into a species of that resembles insects more than ever.

To Summarize the new look of the Zergling makes sense to the Evolution/Adaption the Zerg Swarm makes. That is also what keeps the Zerg unique they evolve at a much faster rate than any species known to us. As you can tell from Hydra concept art as well. I think we will see many Zerg units returning, but in a evolved/adapted style that will make them all useful to an extent beyond one main purpose. AkA Zerglings now can morph into Banelings, which seem to be Anti-Heavy Assault units.
    Dual Purpose Units for All! ;D
    Note* I will edit this post a bit in the morning to make more sense of some concepts in here. On yet another side note I'll include this second link to interesting information about some more intricate details on the Zergling. I take no credit for this information regarding the Zergling in the following link
    http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Zerglings Wiki's r are friends!

18. GuiMontag

GuiMontag New Member

good post ShdwyTemplar, id never thought about the spawning pool like that before lol

19. burkid

burkid New Member

@ShdwyTemplar, i like your post, but with the spawning pool, i think that its just called that because it is a 'pool' of genetic data and material, not because the dune runners used to like water, because dunes normally dont involve much water, and 'dune' normally refers to 'desert', not 'beach'.

20. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Zerg units in general were not insect-like. Perhaps only broodling, and maaaaybe filer and drone. All others were non-insect. However, you must submit to the constant realization that StarCraft is a made-up universe with made-up aliens that live on made-up planets in made-up worlds inhabited by made-up creatures.

But what's more important is, how a unit is designed graphically is not dictated by the lore. The lore is dictated by a unit's final design to unavoidably give some bare minimum explanation. Basically, "because Zerg is constantly evolving" is the reason behind everything Zerg. If the zergling keeps its wings it's because Zerg is constantly evolving, if it lose the wings and take on a different look upon the game's release, it's still because Zerg is constantly evolving. Everything is entirely fictional, it just doesn't matter.

This is a thread about a unit's look, its visual design. The wings can go because its ugly in design, and grasshopper zerglings look like flimsy earthly insects, when in fact they are man sized beasts that were bred to kill and know nothing else. The original dino dog design(SC1 and SC:Ghost) looks better and is more fitting.

Blizzard didn't change the marine shield and siege tank design because they suddenly realized it went against the canon SC lore. It's simply because enough Jeffs and Jims said it was ugly. People cried about the shield, but later the outrage died down because it served a purpose. The shield was a specific marine upgrade, the shield is worth 15 HP. Blizzard still at least took out the emblem design on the shields because most people thought that lended to the medieval crusader look.

I think the zergling wings are ugly. That's all the reason you need to get rid of them. I think the wings should only stay if and only if they have a specific purpose like the marine shield.