1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zerglings into Roaches?

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by lurkers_lurk, Jun 26, 2008.

?

Zerglings into Roaches?

Poll closed Jul 6, 2008.
  1. yes, i like the idea. make it so.

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  2. no, i dont like it. throw it away.

16 vote(s)
    76.2%

Zerglings into Roaches?

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by lurkers_lurk, Jun 26, 2008.

1. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    This's different to the Roach being used as a tank. Just because two units tank, it doesn't mean they're similar, and if you are going to use the Roach as a tank, then it's just a clear example of them not being similar.

2. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    Psi, do you have a different version of SC? :D I agree with nothing in your post, and gassy points it out well. And I don't really see how differences between two units can rule out them coming from one strain. You have here the caterpillar which becomes a butterfly, the moquito larva which becomes a mosquito, and the same goes for dragonflies. If you showed these pairs to a child/silly person he would never guess they're related. The point is, mutation can cause all sorts of changes.

Come to think of it, I think it'd be cool to have the zergling mutate into suicide units on ground or air (strengthening its wings). That way the mutations would funcionally be closer and restore the scourge lots of people miss. But this is for another topic.

3. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Walling with eggs isn't macro and by mutation you don't actually produce new units only trade them. And since you have to order units on the battlefield then it's micro in my book

kuvasz do you have the CD?
    Macro is producing units which is MAKING EGGS
    And ordering units to the battlefield is macro too, its the use of a unit in the battle that is micro.

4. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    I'd reply to GMG but since he said I don't know what I'm talking about I'll let him keep thinking that :D

@Itza
    To me they seem the most similar of any Zerg units to compare to the Roach, and I related the change from primary unit to secondary and the Ultralisk would act right coming from a Roach due to the fact they both can take quite a a bit of direct firepower except the Roach will die if that firepower is too strong; the Ultralisk wouldn't. I also matched them up in relation to the Hydralisk and Lurker, Hydra is more agile and speedy, the Lurker has a chance to hit more targets at once but it is slow and tough, just like the Ultralisk.
    Its hard to explain so I hope you get it.

I'm sorry but I still think the Zergling turning into the Roach is a horrible idea, although I've said my self at a time it would be cool if the Zergling had a later tier mutation where it strengthened its wings and become a hard hitting melee air attacker.

5. kuvasz

Hungary
    Don't copy-paste my post - use quote. It's much easier plus it gives the true meaning of the post, which is a sarcastic tone in this case.
    If you use a unit on the battlefield to mutate then I don't see how it isn't micro, especially if you wall off zealots from your hydras.

/OT

6. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Your lack of arguments strengthens that believe. But hey, I don't see how you could possibly defend outrageous claims such as Lurkers having fast attacks and Hydras having AoE(?!).

You even compared Lurkers with Guardians at one point! If you've played Zerg you'd know that Lurkers are basically used as melee units which is in stark contrast to the long ranged Guardian.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  7. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Ohh didnt i quote, I normally always do, my bad. And why are you talking to me like Im a completly tard (the quoting part), I think I have been here longer than you.

Its macro, ask Ma Jae-Yoon if you dont trust me. The prinsiple of macro:
    Building units and buildings (you said yourself that there is no difference in building and evolving)
    (Expanding
    Taking tactical and straigical dessisons)1

Micro:
    Controling your units so they kill or harvest etc. as good as possible

1: some think this should have its own category (including me, just added it because then its easier to understand)

Use wikipedia if you dont know why Ma Jae-Yoon is.

Edit: And about the walling part: How often does that happen? Its a very big risk, espeically later in the game when protoss/terran has a big army, and easily can kill for expample the high gas costing lurker egg.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  8. kuvasz

Hungary
    So controlling your units to deny a scouting worker up a ramp isn't micro? Or unsieging tanks isn't micro, since they're not killing anything. Or getting off a few hits with your zerglings on zealots to distract the player so you can attack elsewhere isn't micro because you're not killing anything?

I'm sure you know all the pro players and have done your homework, but you should sometimes use common sense.

And I was no more mistreating you than you were mistreating my post which you didn't quote properly and explicitly. And what has join date got to do with knowing how to quote properly? It's just common sense... you know, the same thing you'd use to check my join date before claiming you were here before me :wacko:

9. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    I said I think, not that I was. And did you read my post? how often do you block a ramp with eggs? Perhaps 1/1000 of all games.
    Yeah, sometimes I dont use common-sense, but its the same with you. And I said I didnt quote because I forgot, can you find any other post then that one where I dont quote? Its because Ive been posting on an other forum (that has nothing to do with gaming/starcraft), where you cant quote.
    But shouldnt we not just settle back and stay friends, I think we both have an abbility to make little discussens into some non important angry ones!

10. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    If you read it properly or used slight imagination, you'd know when I said the AoE it applied to Lurkers obviously, since Hydralisks hit single targets. To me it was obvious so I thought it would be obvious to others, I guess I was wrong.

I related Guardians and Lurkers in comparison of mutations. Every unit we know of that mutates becomes slower, higher damage, stronger armor, more hitpoints.

Where the Aoe is concerned with Lurkers and Guardians, their attack spawns Broodlings which are basically part of the attack, and those spread around once theres a lot, meaning the initial attack spreads more damage around just like an AoE attack.

11. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Psi I dont agree with the the Gaurdian AoE part because:
    - Broodlings can be microed, so you can choose to deal high dmg to one unit
    - AoE is usefull only against mass low hp units, but there attack can be focused (broodling micro), so that it owns all kind of units

12. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    When you said that, you were talking about similarities between the Hydra and the Lurker.

Hey, you know what, maybe you're right. Let's see... If a Roach evolved from a Zergling.... Yup! Just about everything would be true, because the Roach is slower, does more damage (not counting timewise but attackwise), has stronger armor and more hitpoints.

That's NOT an AoE attack. an AoE attack is an attack that can hit several targets in one shot, not an attack that summons a unit. Lol.

13. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Yes, the Zergling turning into a Roach complies with my mutation relations, but the Zerglings function is basically to suicide just like Banelings. A Roach is a valued unit since it regenerates so fast meaning it has other uses other than suicide attacks.

I never said it was an AoE, I said the concept is the same. So, when a Guardian spawns some Broodlings, that single attack hits more than one unit, giving rise to a AoE concept.

Roach is an individual unit, its a new individual strain, that is it's lore. Whats the excuse to have a Zergling turn into a Roach, WHY have it turn into a Roach?

But seriously, its all down to opinion, I think a Roach evolving from a Zergling is horrible and pointless, the mutation achieves nothing. You seem to like it, so be it. I cannot change your opinion so...

14. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Making the zergling mutate in to a roach would just limit choices, not create new. Thats the reason im against it. Thats also how the lurker was balanced, but the Roach needs no balance IMO.

15. kuvasz

Hungary
    To make the zerg fit into the 3x3 command panel :p And I don't know its lore... could you post a link to it?

16. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    But really, wouldnt it just be making the zerg weaker?

17. kuvasz

Hungary
    It's all down to how strong roaches are, really.

And I'm glad the thread finally steered back to its original topic.

18. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    :)
    I can see if its done for balanced reason, but everything else would be plain stupid IMO.

19. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    No, it would make them flexible! Being able to morph wherever you want to is a +.
    If the Zerglings are no longer needed, you don't have to just suicide them, you can actually morph them into something more useful.

20. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Zerglings cant be morphed into banelings (ohhh, thats also suiciding them :) )
    But GMG, when you produce a unit you are taking a decision, and if you want the morph just for that part, than its like the 100 % selling of Terran buildings, and who liked that?
    And have you ever had to few zerglings? IMO lings was the most important unit of starcraft, and if you have a few left you can just scout with them, thats another important thing.