1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zerglings - General

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by ZelashOculah, Apr 16, 2009.

Zerglings - General

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by ZelashOculah, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    ****OFF TOPIC****
    i think that u were refurring to my signiture
    and i changed it,
    ****OFF TOPIC****

so i guess that rumor was wrong that not EVERY unit can burrow

2. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    pulling this out of my database:

ALL Zerg Ground units can use the ability Burrow(except the Larva, Broodling, Infested Terran, and the Changeling) once the ability has been researched.

also here are the stats for burrow:

Ability : Burrow
    Minerals : 50
    Gas : 50
    Research Time : 35
    Researched From : Hatchery / Lair / Hive
    Description : Allows the Zerg(s) unit to burrow underground. While burrowed you are invisible to the enemy unless spotted by a detector. Cannot attack while burrowed (Lurker exception). Cannot move while burrowed (Infester exception).

3. ShoGun

ShoGun Guest

I think the zerglings are fine how they are, they play just as good as they did in the original; even better now they can morph into banelings.

4. ekulio

ekulio New Member

true, although a late-game upgrade that allowed zerglings to hop cliffs would be INCREDIBLY cool. Can you imagine seeing them swarm over the cliff into your enemy's supply lines?

5. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    That could be really awesome

Someone talk to blizzard.

6. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Short posts without any addition to the topic is what keeps Blizzard away from these threads. Just saying --listen to us-- won't make them listen. When they are browsing through fansites, they wil obviously not return to forums where they encounter discussions filled with pointless posts. So for the sake of the site and Starcraft 2: please post constructively in threads such as this one.

To add to the topic: Zerglings are just fine as far as mechanics go at the moment. As long as the swarming element remains important for the unit, the stats need not be changes much. If they should also become effective in small groups, then they obtviously need further balancing. I do dislike the model, however. That can be discussed in: Zergling Wings: Jay Or Nay.

7. Zergling

Zergling Guest

I always thought Zerglings would be able to hop over terrain similar to Reapers, and it would be a nice upgrade for them. Other than that they're just as fine as they are.

8. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Zerglings as cliff jumpers? That would be pretty overpowered. I hate using that word, but this just is overpowered without any means of balancing it. Al least not without severely changing the mechanic behind the unit, and its production rate.

A normal Zergling rush has about 50 or more Zerglings at the moment. The main way in which this is counterable, is by lining them up, or by leading them through a choke point in the map. If they would be able to easily evade these situations by jumping cliffs, they would be unstoppable. Not really an idea I would want to recommend to the Blizzard balance team...

9. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

i think zerglings should be able to jump DOWN only from higher ground but not back up. Like gliding.

10. ShoGun

ShoGun Guest

Umm ... 50? What are you smoking and where can I get some?

11. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    Zerglings are still a problem late game, and if they're buffed just a little that would be fine. Even if it was merely health.

Example, even if it's from Starcraft 1.

I had a force of Siege Tanks, Marines, and Medics supplied with Firebats late game. I managed to clear the skies of all the Devourers and Guardians, but the computer quickly replaced the losses with Mutalisks. As I was building some Valkyries to deal with them...

Bam. Almost 20 Mutalisks and somewhere in the hundreds of Zerglings race into my base, and flatten it in less than five minutes.

Seriously.

I owned a good chunk of the map, and had like... a civilization going. There wasn't really a spot I owned without a few buildings on it.

12. necromas

necromas New Member

Minneapolis, MN
    Late game zerglings are great for forcing your enemy to really stay on their toes and mauling any expansions that aren't well defended. Even small groups of zerglings can be a cheap way to cover against flanking and scout all over the map, and in a head on fight they can still tear down buildings.

13. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    Sry for the usless post but I didn't have anything come to mind.

And yes zerglings are one of the most agile units in the game. And in numbers they can easily terr anything down in a matter of seconds. I had on match where my aponent had @%#*+ loads of mutas and they attacked but I was prepared because of sneaky scouting and my aponent had all of his overlords in a corner of the map. So I killed all of his mutas and wasn't sure what was next, but he got wise and spread out his overlords killed all of my observers so I didn't know what was next. Then a minute or two later I had a base with extreemly nice air defence and no ground. So he demalished my base in about 1-1 1/2 minutes. Was a really sad match.

Sry about the rambling but I think this really shows how fast zerglings can destroy stuff. (this was on the fastest posible map) and plus I had my entire base filled with structures, so zerglings are still a powerful unit. and I don't think letting them jump off of cliffs would be over powering.

14. ekulio

ekulio New Member

I kind of mentioned the cliff jumping thing in a "that would be really awesome" kind of way, not a "that should end up in the game" kind of way.
    I think the zerglings are perfect (I even like the wings) they're not going to change any before release.

15. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

DOes anyone else think certant units should be able to jump DOWN only in certant areas? i dont see why if a zergling were to hop off the side of a cliff that was high enough to eaither kill it or break its legs why it couldnt glide down insted?

16. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    That would limit making funny maps. No more lost temple with the base "down" and the natural "up".

17. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    What furrer said, and furthermore it would just reduce the power and privileges held by transports and cliff jumpers.

18. ekulio

ekulio New Member

Because then they might accidentally jump down somewhere and get stuck.

19. necromas

necromas New Member

Minneapolis, MN
    I agree.

20. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

Only upgrade I can see them getting is like a 5 hp buff because the marines get their combat shields but maybe this could come into play when they get their speed upgrades.

Also their hoping animation could be toned down a bit or changed to running.