1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zergling Wings - Yay or Nay

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Gasmaskguy, Mar 20, 2009.

?

Which one looks better - Zerglings with or without wings?

1. With wings

32 vote(s)
    64.0%
  2. without wings

18 vote(s)
    36.0%

Zergling Wings - Yay or Nay

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Gasmaskguy, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Sorry Itza, but that's nonsense in my opinion.

Wings aren't the same as spoilers. However, you talk about them as if they have the same effect. They most certainly do not.

A spoiler is designed to create a downward force. Wings are supposed to make stuff fly. How can you use both terms as if they have the same effect?

Let me explain:
    Zerglings hop to get around. You can see that very clearly, although it was a bit more obvious in Brood War. Since they jump to get forward, jumping with less effort would probably increase their speed. (since more energy is left for pushing forward) A spoiler effect would hinder jumping, as it would force the Zergling down. Wings could do the opposite. It makes jumping and pushing forward more easy. So: spoilers and wings shouldn't be spoken of as if they have the same functionality.

Further, I would like to know how adding weight to such a small creature can make them faster. I think that the more easy jumping and the added weight should pretty much cancel each other out.

I have been against the whole wing thing ever since it was first introduced. My post is therefore quite biased. Still, nobody can apply any form of bias to basic physic laws. ;p

2. CreepEater

CreepEater Guest

Well reasoned.

However, the laws of physics in the SC universe don't seem to stop the mutalisk from flapping through space. xD

I say either go with the wings, or revert back to the SC 1 design. :p The new design seems too chunky for me, and the wings help slim it up, or at least look a little faster. Maybe they need racing stripes. :p

3. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    @ Aurora. I'll just quote what I said in the first place;

I'm perfectly aware of how a spoiler works. I said it could also act like a spoiler, meaning that's in addition, and completely separate to, my main point. I've also basically what forces are involved and when they are involved. Forcing the Zergling down could definitely have a positive effect on speed, especially in such variable conditions, such as low gravity situations, where they'd be kept closer to the ground, and be able to push off harder and longer.

As for the weight, the weight of a pair of wings would be fairly negligible.

On top of that, there's still the point of being streamlined, which was my main point from my previous post.

Lastly, back on the spoilers again, organisms can rotate their wings at will. So, if they're in a high gravity environment, or any environment where the spoiler effect would be undesirable, they could rotate them to being vertical, providing less resistance, and if in a low gravity environment, or any where the spoiler effect would be sought after, they could rotate them to be flat, providing more resistance.

Also, we're all assuming that the Zerglings don't make use of their wings' function. There's nothing to say that they couldn't be using them, to gain more propulsion much like insects themselves do, when half-running, half-flying across the ground.

Lastly, there's the fact that it offers a distinct gameplay purpose, to easily identify whether Zerglings have been upgraded or not.

Lastly again, talking about physics, how do you feel about the rolling Baneling, Aurora?

4. 1n5an1ty

1n5an1ty Member

Reality
    stop techinalitying me out

5. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    agree itza, it provides a very see'able change in wheather they are upgraded or not.

And the physics thing makes sense to.

In sc1 the speed was noticable in a zvz because if someone didn't have the upgrade then it was clear but unless you knew exactly how fast they were from waytl much play then it would be easy to figure out for those ppls, now it will be very easy, plus I think they look better (then there slug appearence at first) and look a lot more stream lined.

6. Ballistixz

Ballistixz New Member

does it seriously matter if they have wings or not? i thought lings get there speed from there powerful legs anyway and not from wings. there naturally fast and even faster with upgrades so i dont see why they would need wings since imo there speed is from the evolutions of there legs/jump/hop power. the way they move around is more like how rabits move around anyway. wings just seem to much like a novelty to make them look cool when its not the wings that help them move faster at all.

so ya i think its better if they dont have wings at all because its just more plausible that there speed comes from there back legs like a rabbit.

7. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    So you would say that a jet fighter gets it's speed exclusively from it's turbines? The aerodynamic shape does not have a significant effect?

8. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    What the smart one said.

9. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    The effects of aerodynamics is negligible at such low speeds at what a zergling would travel. If it weren't, you would see low-end cars with shapes of a Porsche or a Ferrrari. But you don't. And comparing a zergling to a jet fighter is just ludicrous because they travel in a completely different manner and were developed for different purposes.

Secondly, it's been established that the wings are there to allow zerglings to glide over each other, not to boost their speed. They don't need wings while unupgraded because at lower speeds they can easily evade each other, or worst case scenario suffer milder injuries than what they would upgraded.

10. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

Maybe somebody should test that out...

Two 60km/H Motorbike - same weight, same engine but different body types. One streamlined, and one standard shaped. If they would travel on a flat surface for 1 minute, and an average daily wind factor, will the result show a huge difference? (maybe also 2 A.I drivers that does the same exact timing for gear shifts)

11. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Even in nature animals have evolved to be streamlined, so it's definitely an adaptive advantage. Also, there's still the point of being able to adjust for the different atmospheric pressures and gravitational pull of different planets, etc. Combined with aesthetic appeal from the point of view of Zerg being a hive swarm and the apparently already established ability to glide over each other, I think that's a pretty convincing case in favour of the wings.

12. SOGEKING

SOGEKING New Member

Now I like the new zergling. they cut its wings. Good ! Same mind for the marine's bayonnet on his gun.

13. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    I have bad news for you: neither have been cut. Never were and most probably never will be. It's just that the most recent footages focussed on higher tier units to show them off and their abilities, which makes upgrading low-tier units unnecessary.

14. temper

temper New Member

to original post: It would seem like the next natural evolve point for the zerglings but the T and P would whine so much about it even the zerglings themselves would say "F it".

15. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    lol, they could at least make them be able to use them to climb cliffs. but that could be overpowered.

16. SOGEKING

SOGEKING New Member

Yes, too overpowered. An add-on as an upgrade probably.

17. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    you would need like craclings and alot of stuff so that it would take too long to be OP.

like full ground att and carapace for all units and same for air and lings speed... basicly the requirement would be everyother upgrade. so it would be even more rare then the nuke in Pro matches.

18. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

But naturally there is no question that zerglings have the possibility to wall climb considering how powerful their legs are. A game movie with this concept wouldn't look so bad.

19. encored

encored Guest

I think that's a pretty convincing case in favour of the wings.