1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zergling Wings - Yay or Nay

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Gasmaskguy, Mar 20, 2009.

?

Which one looks better - Zerglings with or without wings?

1. With wings

32 vote(s)
    64.0%
  2. without wings

18 vote(s)
    36.0%

Zergling Wings - Yay or Nay

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Gasmaskguy, Mar 20, 2009.

1. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Neither looks significantly more natural than the other to me. They each just have a different sort of theme or feel to them. It's almost as though it's a completely different model, depending on whether it's got the wings or not, but yeah, it's all preference.

2. ZelashOculah

ZelashOculah New Member

Over There
    well.. they're insect-like anyway so why not make them look the part even more than they already do? you could possibly add more abilities to it too like a long range jump ability to them, you know like the colossus (or whatever their plural is) but with a cool down.

3. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    That would be extremely overpowered, since there are so many of them. Also, they are the most simple, basic zerg units. They are so fast to build because of that. Their strength lies in swarming the enemy. If you let some of them jump out of formation by letting them jump further, then the whole essence of the zergling is lost. Just being able to burrow should be enough for a basic cannon fodder unit.

4. 1n5an1ty

1n5an1ty Member

Reality
    Aerodynamics man, aerodynamics
    :D

5. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    There are plenty of winged animals that never fly. Granted most of them are birds that have evolved like that due to not needing to fly but still.

6. JacobBlair1

JacobBlair1 New Member

Chandler, AZ
    I wonder if they have any special abillties

7. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    Burrow.

Unburrow.

8. JacobBlair1

JacobBlair1 New Member

Chandler, AZ
    Thats not unique or awesome at all thats why i like the Terran the best

9. PsiWarp

PsiWarp New Member

Aiur
    Better build Sensor Towers then, every Zerg ground unit can burrow :p

Yes, even Ultralisks.

-Psi

10. I do not like the wings personally. I never imagined the zerglings to be insectoid in nature. Adding wings just kills the vibe for me, and makes them seem more generic.

11. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    Wings on chittering little homicidal reptilian dogs is generic?

Man, you must've hated Zerg from the first video of SC2, introducing the Protoss.

12. I mean yeah I can live with it, but I just hate when designers add insect-like attributes to creatures just to make them seem more alien, when really it just makes them feel too much like another earth-inhabitant.

But then again, the majority of things and starcraft aren't too alien (although I always thought the hydralisk was a highly original design, ignoring the slight borrowing from alien), so I shouldn't be surprised.

13. Hodl pu

Hodl pu New Member

I prefer no wings. It's that I'm not against the insect look, but it was more of a distraction to me. For some reason when I saw a mob of lings, all I could see was a pile of wings.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  14. SOGEKING

SOGEKING New Member

better without wings of course !

that's like the marine : why the hell had the marine a shield and a bayonnet on his rifle ? now they are cut, and that's better

15. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Omg, lore.
    The Zerg were once regular insects and other weird creatures, those got mutated and put into the Zerg gene pool. The Zerg ARE mostly insects. -But I still hate the wings. What are they now, grasshoppers?-

16. Scorponox

Scorponox New Member

Earth
    Once you change the fleshy color of the Zerglings. Red, Brown, Green, Orange, and Yellow should have no wings. Purple, Cyan, Blue, and White. Should have Wings... Just my way of seeing it...

17. SOGEKING

SOGEKING New Member

Maybe zerglings will be like the DT ? When you create a DT there will be the two models, and the 2 portraits. Now zerglings will be randomly be with or without wings. OR maybe one melee (red, brown and orange) will have the wings because they are more evolved than the other melees (blue, yellow, teal, purple and white).

18. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Read my first post SOGEKING. There's no 'maybes' involved here, Karune told us what the wings / no wings are about.

19. SOGEKING

SOGEKING New Member

Okay, but what I just wrote could be another suggestion.
    So once you upgrade the speed of the zergling it gets wings. That's a good idea.
    Another one (mine) would be to get random zerglings with or without wings, like for the DT. But this idea, I confess, is not persuasive.
    So I have another suggestion : the strongest zerg melees (the red, orange and brown ones) could have zerglings with wings, and not the "weaker" ones.
    BUT the levels are the same for them, with or without wings.

BTW, remember the special hydralisks in SC1, the hunter killer. Should be the zergling with wings a special zergling, a "hero"? Yes, this is a stupid idea (maybe), but we're still not on the beta version, so anything is possible. I confess again, this third idea right now is foolish. I don't like it. But it can be a reality afterwards.

20. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    The hunter killer was exactly the same as the regular hydralisk. Only the attack was upgraded. The best solution would be to just increase the size -or change the colour- of hero units, in the campaign of course. No special units in melee maps. Just like in WC3, it worked there. Different stuff like wings just cause confusion in my opinion.