1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zergling and cliffs

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by manaplague, Aug 29, 2007.

Zergling and cliffs

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by manaplague, Aug 29, 2007.

1. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

banelings should be able to roll down cliffs but not up.

2. beetlelisk

beetlelisk New Member

In late game there would be lots of zerglings some chance of falling off would balance their number in scaling cliffs coz it would be imba:p

3. The Vision

The Vision New Member

Not really. Who is saying that they cant hold off a zerglig attack when you have the support of firebats and marines in bunkers AND siege tanks. The fact that they would lose a part of their army over something so insignificant seems rediculous. It is like saying that reapers need to return to base and refill their jet tanks or they will lose health or something not soo great as that

4. beetlelisk

beetlelisk New Member

Well maybe falling wouldn't kill them but force to climb from the beginning? Otherwise this could be really dangerous (I like Zerg too but... ;))

5. moobox

moobox Member

Being able to upgrade Zerglings to scale walls and cliffs is a decent idea for the Zergs. It would definitely have to be an upgrade or you are right that it would be terribly imbalanced on some maps for early game.

A general idea for cliff jumping/climbing is that if a unit (upgraded Zergling, for example) is climbing up or down a cliff and there is a missile turret or other ground-to-air only unit on the lower elevation of terrain, it should be able to shoot at the Zergling that is climbing up or down. A Turret, for example, that is firing at a Zergling climbing up/down a cliff might have a reduced attack damage, but a small amount of splash damage (since a missile is exploding against a cliff wall).

6. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

why not have missile turrets below a cliff being able to shoot at units on top of a cliff full stop, not just when they are climbing down the cliff

7. moobox

moobox Member

Depending on the technology of course, because if I am standing at the bottom of a cliff looking up at the top, unless you are standing right on the edge I can't see you. Same would apply to a Missile Turret. A very complex design could be programmed to make it work, such as the further back from the cliff the easier it is to see whats on top (dependent on height), but even that only works with cliffs/walls/structures that are within a certain difference height restraint.

8. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I don't see what everyone is complaining about.
    The wings do look good on the Zergling, if they're created with them, or if it's upgraded. It makes the Zerg seem like more like an infestation which is what I've always thought of them to be.
    Secondly, it wouldn't be too unbalanced for Zerglings to scale cliffs, because it's not the same as just charging them over flat terrain. It would slow them down and spread them out over a longer distance , because they cannot just all jump over at once. It would also make it hard for the Zerg player to keep them as a group for that initial charge of overwhelming numbers, but easier for them to be used as ambushes or raids from the back while your main force is attacking the front.
    I think this is a fine image and ability for the Zergling. Making them more tactical so they aren't just used with "mass" tactics.