1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zerg unit abilities

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Psionicz, Feb 3, 2008.

Zerg unit abilities

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Psionicz, Feb 3, 2008.

1. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    The reason I like the StarCraft2 Mutalisks so much is because they look so alien. Before I continue, please note the difference between looking alien and an alien. We're all aware that the Mutalisk is an alien, but previously, and in those cinematics, they just look like a worm creatures with wings. In StarCraft2 they are so much more defined. They look menacing and stand for so much more than the old Mutalisk did.
    Who's to say that they're too heavily armored to be able to fly? Being heavy definitely does not hinder the Mutalisk's ability to fly. If they're able to fly in the complete vacuum of space, why would weighing a lot stop them? It is already clear that just because they're classified as 'light' armored creatures, it doesn't mean that they hardly have any armor. Phoenixes are also classified as light, and their armor is made from solid metal.
    Also, just because they're more spiky, it doesn't mean that they can no longer swarm. Any other Zerg unit is proof of this. Zerglings have spines and sharp plating all over their body and are basically compact balls of claws and teeth. Hydralisks have spines down their back, huge claws on their arms and two sets of mandibles. The same goes for Lurkers and Ultralisks. All are extremely spiky and sharp, but are able to clamber over one another, without harm, just to get closer to the enemy.

2. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    All things which fly biologically are required to be light, thus having armor plates wouldn't allow them to be manouverable as Mutalisks are. The Phoenix uses boosters and anti gravity technology it doesn't need to be light.
    Also bulky Mutalisks lorewise wouldn't be able to fly very well as they are not aero-dynamic. Sleeker the better as the air goes past you faster and you can get closer to other Mutalisks to effectivly swarm.

Look at all swarmers in the natural word and tell me which are spikey and not sleek.
    Ants
    Locusts
    Termites
    Are all sleek as it favours them more.

Also on the spikes, none of them are that spikey, except for the Lurker which is supposed to be spikey and isn't a swarmer.
    http://www.starcraft2forum.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=47&topic=6035.15

But you can imagine lorewise how having spikes everywhere would not allow units to effectivly swarm as brushing past one another could cut them or the spikes could interlock, and in flight that is possible death.

Also you can be as heavy as you want in space since theres no air friction and gravity to slow you down. On a planet theres this thing called Gravity which pulls you down and the heavier you are the more you feel its effect, and if you want to fly and are heavy you won't lift up with your own strength.

But I do have faith in Blizzard and I'm sure they'll make the Mutalisk sexy like the art work in due time.

3. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Biological units should also logically not be able to survive in a vacuum, but that hasn't stopped the Mutalisk. If it can fly in a vacuum, I don't think being heavy will stop it. Besides, Zerg are specialized biological killers, who's to say they haven't developed light, but tough, armor plates?
    Neither does the Mutalisk. Zerg have obviously developed another way to move which doesn't require F=MA otherwise they wouldn't be able to move in space, and we've all seen that they are.
    No Zerg air units are aerodynamic (except Scourges). They must've evoled another way of being efficient flyers. Even if they haven't it's not like the Mutalisk has huge parachutes shaped armor plates slowing it down. Their armor plates are roughly aerodynamic, they're all pretty much triangular and angled into the wind.
    Yes, those might not be sleek, but those are not highly evolved, biological, bloodthirsty killers. If an ant were to start preying on larger organisms, they'd need more defense/weapons (i.e. spikes) at their disposal. Also, even if the Mutalisk wasn't spiky, they wouldn't be flying close enough together for it to matter anyway. If they're flying so close to each other that their spiky armor is interfering, I don't think the spikes are their greatest concern.
    Lurkers could be swarmed, and all the others are pretty spiky, just look at the models. Zerglings have clawed feet, bladed arms on their back and teeth to match. Hydralisks have blades, spiked backs and two sets of teeth. Ultralisks have whopping great blades and their feet look like some kind of barbed grappling hook. These might not be amazingly spiky, but neither are the Mutalisks.
    Do you realize how strong Mutalisks' hides are? They're able to withstand lazers, missiles, psychic energies, etc, etc. I don't think they'll be all too worried about spikes that aren't even designed as weapons.
    In space, there is nothing for you to propel against either, yet Mutalisks haven't had any trouble maneuvering their way through space. They've obviously developed an alienesque way of flying, otherwise they wouldn't be able to maneuver in space or have a great mass on planets. Again, their armor might not actually weigh that much, what makes you think it does? Also, these planets aren't Earth, what makes you think they have the same gravitational pull?
    I'd hope not. The cinematic and StarCraft1 Mutalisks were too undefined, too plain. The new one no longer looks like a maggot with wings. It looks distinctive and strong. Besides, artwork and cinematics aren't much to go by.

4. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Christ, is all that really necessary lol

I'm not gonna waste time on debating on something which doesn't matter tho, our points still stand but you are correct in some ways. :]
    If you want to discuss the Mutalisks lore make a topic :]

http://www.freakygaming.com/gallery/strategy_games/starcraft_2/mutalisk_attack.jpg
    [img width=500 height=375]http://www.freakygaming.com/gallery/strategy_games/starcraft_2/mutalisk_attack.jpg[/img]
    Although I do like how they have kept the Zerg design consistant so far, I mean the Mutalisk isn't that bad its just a bit too bulky IMO, also the spikes at the end of the tail are too large unless they are thinking of giving it an ability which I'd say isn't the best idea so far.

5. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    This is the thing I don't like when debating with you. Why does it suddenly not matter? It obviously mattered enough for you to bring it up in the first place, so why whenever I put a fair bit of effort into a post, do you suddenly decide it doesn't matter? Is it because you cannot argue your case or because you can't be bothered putting in that much effort. I don't see why you wouldn't want to retaliate. Forums are all about discussions, not one-to-two line responses of everyone agreeing to what you have to say.
    Also, the 'spikes' on the tail aren't spikes, they're supposed to be teeth. The Mutalisk has two heads, one at the top, and one at the bottom.

6. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    I have no case, naturally anything which flies has to be light. Need reference? look out your window, its simple. We don't need to venture off topic and dive into something which doesn't really matter. I want to discuss why the Mutalisk is so bulky and why it should or shouldn't be. I don't care if it has alien technology to help it float, Blizzard don't even know how to explain the Mutalisks flight they said it them selfs lol

Oh ok, being teeth I don't see what it needs them since it shoots, I'm sure most people would agree with me when I say a sleeker (not no spikes or carrapace, just a sleeker Mutalisk than the current would be better)
    It makes sense since its a swarming unit, and things which swarm and cluster up shouldn't be too big as its more effecient to be less bulky, refer to Zerglings.

7. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    to me...the gameplay mutalisk are coooool!!! seriously! the wings are huge, which i actually like. and the second mouth (where he shoots), those spikes are alright i guess.
    Actually!! THINK about it!!! how would the mutalisk look with small spikes in his shooting mouth? kinda gay right? RIGHT?!? cmon agree with me! LOL.
    maybe tahts y blizzard made em bigger.
    =]

i like the new mutas. but the concept art is really DAM sexy. it would be pretty hard to make the muta look exactly like the concept art. but yeah wateva i like both so it doesnt matter =D

8. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    If you don't care about weigh, and you just want to talk about bulkiness, then why did you bring it up in the first place?
    It's part of the mouth. The reason they need them is probably because they shoot, otherwise they'd just have claws. Having teeth would give some structure to the mouth meaning it can fire more accurately. Shooting without teeth might be like us throwing without fingers.
    Also, when you say not the spikes or the carapace, what are you referring to? The only thing that really leaves to be sleeker are the eyes and wings.
    Zerglings aren't the only swarmed unit. All of Zerg units can be swarmed and swarmed well, even Ultralisks. And if Ultralisks can do it, I'm sure a slightly bulkier Mutalisk would be able to.

9. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    What I meant is I'm not saying give it no carrapace or spikes, just decrease the bulkyness. But yea I see what you're saying on the accuracy thing thats valid.
    Also Zerglings are the main swarmer, which is why they are sleek and can hop over each other, their model doesn't have spikes pertruding everywhere and they do not have a thick carrapace.

Another thing I hope they give the Glave Wurm back cuz the acid bouncing around doesn't make sense and looks nub, Glave Wurm was unique and made sense.

10. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    yeah i also like the glave wurm....but how the hell is the animation gna look??

if they wanna put the glave wurm back...i rkn...it should be spiky AND slimy! like green slime...cuz it did come from their shooting mouth. so many it should like like a ball of spike with slime oozing on it..and it should keep spinning around to make it look cool... =]

bounce bounce bounce =D

11. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    The Zerglings are still very spiky. You say that aren't which is why they can swarm and hop over each other, etc, but they have their weapons on their backs. I'd hate to be a Zergling jumping over another Zergling and I'd assume you it wouldn't be a sleek ride.
    Also, all Zerg units are part of an advanced super-organism. They work as one, like ants or bees. They'd be able to co-ordinate to ensure that they never catch on each other's spikes or whatnot.

12. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    ^Agree!
    All zerg units have spikes etc.

13. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    @Furrer, duh?

@Itza, Its a tight balance between lore and gameplay so its hard to come to a conclusion as theres always two parts to the story.

14. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    You guys are debating aestetics which is solely opinion based, please realize that. I personally don't like the look of the Mutalisk I think it is to spiky and if it lost the spikes on its wings and back it would look a lot better. I don't care as much about the Zerglings because while I don't think they look great they do seem to have an insectoid balance to them, which I think is kinda cool.

15. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    I dont care about the spikes, but I think the mutalisk "form" or "design" is wrong...

16. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Show us what it should be then.

17. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    I paint very bad...
    But it should look more like this:
    [img width=180 height=135]http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/starcraft/images/thumb/e/e1/SC_Ghost_Mutalisk.jpg/180px-SC_Ghost_Mutalisk.jpg[/img]
    I would like that the body/mouth is in a C form like the mutalisk in the SC1 was...
    But it´s also hard to say how it looks right know, as we dont have any really good pictures of it (not artwork).

18. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Thats pretty much the concept/cinematic design/model but a lower quality version since Blizzard wasn't as good as they are now with modeling/rendernig

19. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Thats from Ghost, and the unit ingame in SC2 does not have the C form (Im not sure, but its hard to see), and thats what i dont like.

20. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    In the still from the cinematic, the Mutalisk is flying hi speed meaning it wouldn't initiate the C stance.