1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zerg Ultimate Unit Idea

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by concreteasflesh, Jun 28, 2007.

Zerg Ultimate Unit Idea

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by concreteasflesh, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Eye_Carumba

Eye_Carumba New Member

Because Zerg ain't about numbers: they're about diversity! Take Mutalisks for example, and their attacks will never be trully predicted, their outcome is always diferent, because it bounces off randomly into other adjacent targets.

Same with Devourer: every hit the enemy attacks less fast, and has less armor. You can't predict in-game the exact outcome just by seeing the unit numbers and types. Not easily at least. If you have a planned defense and comes a zerg hit and run attack, but then the zerg queen hits your units with goo: not only their invisibility is ruined, but they can't run after you, and interceptors are vulnerable.

Hidralisk for example, is one of the most classic zerg units toghether with the zerglings, and they simply have more HP/dmg than all terran units of the same tier.Not a cheap spendable unit that you have to make in huge numbers to count. It does work even better in high numbers, beeing ultimate in it's tier because not only they're stronger, but you make'em easier for beeing zergs. But the point is they're better units. And so is Lurker, Overlord, and even Mutalisk. Mutalisks in group can do a lot of extra dmg with the bouncing things. It's a very good raiding unit for anti-ground, which can destroy turrets and the units that pop nearby in just one move. It can destroy a comand center and it's SCVs trying to fix it in one move too. If protoss hadn't Psy storm, I woul beat them every time with mutas-raids.

So don't mistake yourself thinking Zergs are an economically/costly favored race. There's much more than meets the eye on them.

2. Indigent

Indigent New Member

You forgot that mutualisks are also clasic units in Starcraft I. And I usually win with mutualisks sometimes too, depends how you use it. You send a buch of zerglings on land (Hopefully there is a choke off point then while they are all at the entrance, you raid there base by blowing up all there SCvs!! MUHAHA!... Ehmmhh
    *Choke*
    *Hack*
    *Cough*
    *Hack*
    *Dies*

3. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    omg did Indigent just die?

4. Indigent

Indigent New Member

Send me 823475.2893457 minerals if you want me to feel beter.

And yes I am dead.

5. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    So giving you a huuuge amount of cash would make you feel better...?

-okay!:D

I will send you 823475.2893457 minerals as fast as i get it all.

My calculations tells me that you´ll get it 2012. cya:D

6. Indigent

Indigent New Member

*Lays on floor.*

I'll be waiting!

7. grrrr...

grrrr... New Member

enough hero units from w3,,,if there were hero units from sc2, itd be a big big mistake

8. Mikosz

Mikosz New Member

Yeah... tidal wave of Lings or nothing :] Numbers are teh roxxor :p

9. Indigent

Indigent New Member

Zerg> Quality

10. Lt.Flob

Lt.Flob New Member

UK
    hmmmm

i think an ultimate zerg unit with be bad idea because if you think about starcraft 1 the zergs didnt have any big units like battlecruisers or carriers there were just medium sized powerful air or ground unit attacker

and plus zergs are my favorite race :D

11. Indigent

Indigent New Member

The super unit should be the last evolution of the hatchery. It's basically just like a hive with sunken collony spines shooting out at enemies that have a max capacity of fifteen larvae and 738564 health and can make an ultralisk in 10 seconds.

12. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    you forgot 5 on that hp. it should be 738569.

13. Indigent

Indigent New Member

My mistake, accidentaly put 4 instead of 9, please don't eat me.

14. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    i cant, my stupid gasmask won´t come off! I am starving God dammit! I can only eat really thin noodles that fit in the filter!

15. opm

opm New Member

NYC
    so this is my idea. instead of having a unit that necessarily kills better or is harder to kill, how about a unit that makes your current flock smarter. it's clear that with the terran focusing on splash to such a level, that zerg will really feel the effects of it more than any other race. It would be nice if there was a unit with the automatic ability to organize units to space a bit so as to decrease splash. basically have an overmind type unit that delegates units to move into smarter formations, or maybe has a dark swarm area under it. something like that... just a thought

16. Eye_Carumba

Eye_Carumba New Member

Well, it seems as if the development team decided to help the Races with their old frailties. Arbiter's vulnerability, and lack of firepower, as it was the main target when casting others invisible, was helped by it's replacement by the Mothership. The Zealots deficiency in rearranging themselves (which left them greatly underprivileged against some effort on micro by other races) was fixed through charge. Dragoons' lack of mobility was fixed by stalkers' smaller size and blink.

Terran's unit flexibility was added, and now you don't have to build a whole new set of supply depots/units to become airborne with Viking. Supply-depots immobility was somewhat compensated by the underground thing. And their lack of skill to deal with the zerg was supressed by Banshees, that can combine the invisibility of Wraith and a ground AoE, to own zerg masses like no other. Even the new Ghost would deal much easier with an Ultra if he met one (not sure if will happen).

So, in order to figure what is about to come for the zerg, I would try and think of all the weaknesses the zerg have, and how would it be possible to overcome these. For once, I think their units die too fast for them to enjoy any regeneration. Whats the point in having them slowly regenerating if they'll be replaced shortly and aren't so expected to come back?

Perhaps if the zergs had a fast regen technique, that would heal them pretty fast when not moving or under fire. But back on topic: an ultimate unit should have the ability to keep the zerg from getting killed. And the dark swarm skill idea is not so bad.

To think which ultimate unit for the zerg would be best, we have to think what is lacking for them. What is their most troublematic weakness?

17. Indigent

Indigent New Member

It is too hard to controll 400 zerglings or more depending if they want more zerglings to come out of one egg.

18. Eye_Carumba

Eye_Carumba New Member

What if each hydralisk killed would spawn 2 others to take it's place? That's what the mythical Hydra was about, you know? o_O Or even, if zergs left their blood wherever they died, and it corroded other terrans that walked across it.

19. Indigent

Indigent New Member

How would you kill a hydralisk in the first place then?

20. opm

opm New Member

NYC
    yeah i like that a lot, or at least only affects shields. blood is acidic kind of thing. it is obvious that zerg will be the toughest race to build for.