1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zerg seem worse in SC2.

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Redlazer, Jul 10, 2009.

Zerg seem worse in SC2.

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Redlazer, Jul 10, 2009.

1. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I never said you can't have that opinion, nor did I say it was wrong. All I said was Blizzard has officially replied to the lore behind Infested Marines.

As for replacing it, in my opinion, spellcasters are a huge part of the changes between the two games, and seeing how true Zerg already is to the original, replacing the Infestor with the Defiler would be huge, especially when it would deny them access to Infested Marines, which, although people may think they're silly, do play a fairly major role in Zerg's Ground-to-Air.

The Defiler will most likely be in the editor. They've implied that most units will be available there, and the Defiler is definitely one of the more important Zerg units. The abilities themselves will be easy to make, too, if not already included.

2. VeljkoM

VeljkoM New Member

Serbia,KG
    But kind was overreaction from me. Since WoW I kinda started hate new lore. It just makes no sense anymore. But I think that infestor should maybe have more unique abilities so It wouldn't be like improved defiler. The marine ability can be vital.

In starcraft 2 I also noticed that protoss have change their tactics. In first they were hard attackers wile now they are more "careful". Their units now depend more on hiding and running. Stalkers are best example. Colossus is kinda strange because it has great attack but lacks defense which is something protoss had no problem before (reaver was only exception) . I am not saying that all this bad it is just weird to me.

3. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Well the way I see it, if a Barracks can be made from scratch and just start pumping out humans from nowhere, I don't see anything too terrible about an organism containing the eggs of another organism. As for the Infestor having more unique abilities, it only shares Plague, and that was only a recent change.

As for Protoss, I more think of Blink as being an advanced version of dancing Dragoons. I reckon they're still hard attackers, they've just had their ability to get out of danger upgraded. Protoss are, generally, focused around fewer, more powerful units, so, unlike the Zerg, single losses are much more significant to them, and as a result, they need ways to preserve their troops. Otherwise, a good ambush could spell the end for them. Now, the 'Dark' Protoss units generally don't follow the Protoss philosophy as closely, and as a result they aren't always as direct in combat, as seen with the Stalker and Dark Templar. Again, that's not really a good thing or a bad thing, as it just depends on how you like playing.

I will say, however, that the addition of Immortals and reduction to the amount of shields from EMP allowing the Archon to not be so vulnerable to a single attack definitely does provide for more direct combat play.

4. Redlazer

Redlazer New Member

I'm not against there being a new unit to replace the Defiler. I'm against the unit they want to replace it with. When I first saw the Infestor, back when they could infest structures, I thought that was cool. It made sense, it's new, it's interesting, whatever. It was a good idea. It was, "Alright, this thing is the Infestor I guess and it infests sh*t; cool."

Now it's like, "Alright, this is the Infestor... It shoots out mushrooms, has mind controlling powers, and can give birth to Marines at will... what?" The Zerg 'casters' just don't make sense anymore like they did in Starcraft I. Now, alright, people are going to say "WELL IT'S ABOUT GAMEPLAY!" Alright, well what if they replaced the nuclear missile model with a massive horse d*ck. It does the same thing, just the lore and whatnot isn't there.

5. VeljkoM

VeljkoM New Member

Serbia,KG
    Well I didn't see Archons at action only stalkers. I also forgot the new role of Imortals because they no longer attack air. (Is it strange how protoss can't make dragoons but can upgrade them to better versions? And don't even dare to say it is lore). Even in starcraft 1 dark protoss were more better at surprising then in direct assault.

To bad there isn't no more infesting buildings. Yes it look overpowered but it was cool to see infested barracks that train marines.

6. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    i think they could put the infested buildings in again. just make it that you had to infest a building with say 6 defilers at once other wise it just is useless for the player for a short time (say 10-15 seconds) that would be enought to ensure they dont have instant help while you attack, there for saving units and anoying the enemy.

but im not against the new marine puke idea. i think it will be cool now that you dont need to infest anything anymore and go throught the trouble of a not that usful unit. now since they dont cost supply you could just run into the enemys base when they dont have detection and spew units everywhere with a ton of infesters. and then attack at the entrance since everything this pulled back. plus this could help with mid game defence since if your suprised attacked at your base then u have at least a small amount of units along with your mini army of queens to help hold them off.

7. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    @ Redlazer. Dude, seriously, you've got to read what's written. The Infestor does not have Fungal Infestation any more. It has Plague. Other than that, its abilities are quite explainable, and, if not self explanatory, have already been explained. Please understand what's being discussed before trying to discuss it. This site might help if you're after the latest of what we know: http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Infestor

Frankly, if Marines can come from an empty building, I don't see anything wrong with one organism coming from inside another. It's as simple as that, really.

8. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    Yea but people are having a hard time the consept of how did they get there in the first place. I mean the barracks is like housing for the troops, you feed then there and arm them for battle when the need arises. It's h putting on the suit that is why it takes time to make marines or else you could just run out with as many as it could hold. The infester is just a concept a lot of people don't like and won't except. I'm pretty much fine with the explaination that blizz have given. Of course then people say you have to coupture them then but just like every units (except reavers and carriers) the units have infinity amo, so why can't it have invinity marine to. Would people b happy if they could mutate marines before you could use the ability like the reaver/carriers?

9. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Yes, but how do people actually get into the Barracks in the first place when it's built from the ground up by a lone SCV? With the Protoss, it's obvious, as all their units are Warped In from another location, and with Zerg, again, it's just them producing eggs, or Larvae. But with Terran, how do the people get into the Barracks in order to be produced?

It's the same problem as the Infested Marines.

10. Ballistixz

Ballistixz New Member

well i can probaly explain the barracks thing somewhat. we obviously cant have troops from nowhere out in the battlefield come in and go inside the barracks because they will be easy bullseye targets for the enemy. so they must be transferred by a indirect means... what im thinking is that all the troops come from the cc where they are housed and such. i beleive i read somewhere that the cc is a 3 or 4 story structure with a underground basement facility aswell. so if thats true the cc can easiy hold 200 or more humans all ready for battle or assisting in other things. so i believe that when the time has come to go out on the battlefield, the troops are organized into the underground basement lvl of the cc. they then move underground and then arrive under any barracks that were built through a underground elevator or something.

the marines are thus suited and geared up for battle. the factory is self explanatory since its a "factory". the goliaths tanks and such are built inside the factory. the starports are hangers for the ships. so theres this underground network that the terrans work from. which makes alot of sense seeing as how underground is the safest way to actually transfer troops into a building especially during the heat of battle. even some real life military bases do this. and remember. the supply depot also can go underground now which somewhat supports this idea.

the spawn infested marine thing doesnt make sense to alot of ppl because of the fact that in completly ignores and contradicts the infest terran command center ability of the queen in sc1. in order to make infested anything you have to INFEST something. even if marines are spawned from the infestor they should not be called "infested" marines. they should be called something else.

also remember that the "infested" marines HATCHES from eggs. the infestor spawns 5 eggs on the field and they hatch at a extremely fast rate. so how can anything thats been infested hatch from a egg? that kills the entire point...

also, i kinda see the other guys point on the defiler vs the infestor. almost all the zerg units got some kind of buff compared to sc1. ultras with there HUGE HP boost and there HUGE dmg boost against buildings. the hydras with there HP boost and bonus dmg boost. and even overlords got a boost with there excrete creep and overseer morph. the defiler got the low end of the stick. the nerf on plauge, dark swarm removed for a 10 second mc, consume removed for a very contraversial spawn infested marine gimmick, and a overall lower ammount of skills to use. the only thing good about the infestor vs the old defiler is that it can move while burrowed. almost every single zerg unit is stronger then its original counterpart except for the infestor which is weaker then its original counterpart.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  11. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    The underground network doesn't work for Terran buildings, as all unit-producing buildings can Lift Off. Terran unit production works in the exact same way as the Infestor's Spawn Infested Marines ability does.

As for Infested Marines actually needing to be infested, they are. Blizzard has said themselves that the Infestor doesn't create the Infested Marines, it just transports them around in the eggs, or sacs. They merely hatch from the eggs because that's the way they're transported. It wouldn't make sense for them to just have the Infested Marines floating inside of them, so they're simply stored. It's relatable to how Kerrigan was transported in a chrysalis. She wasn't created, or hatched, it was just a means of transporting her.

As for the abilities, again, Plague has not been nerfed, it's been balanced. It deals whatever is suitable for it to deal in StarCraft2, just as it deals whatever was suitable for it to deal in StarCraft1. Blizzard's said that stats are no longer comparable between the games. If anything, due to improved pathing resulting in more clumping of units and the Infestor being able to move while Burrowed, Plague has been buffed, not nerfed.

With Dark Swarm, again, you've basically answered your own problem. The Zerg, as a whole, are much stronger in StarCraft2. Seeing as Dark Swarm was there to protect them because they were weak, it's no longer needed. And again, and for the last time before I simply start quoting what I've already said;

Dark Swarm is no longer a viable spell for StarCraft2.

As for Neural Parasite, if you want to count it as being weak for no logical reason, fine. Keep kidding yourself. Lastly, as for Spawning Infested Marines, as I've already stated numerous times, being controversial or thought of as a gimmick does not make it weak. Being weak makes it weak. If I remember correctly, you previously said it was overpowered.

12. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    IHG it just looks wierd that the Zealot has been buffed, Marines have been buffed, and Zerglings have lost there dark-swarm. But you are completly right, Zerg got many other factors to make that non important.

13. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Zerglings also get their Baneling Morth, remember. Morphing into Banelings can allow them to take out targets they otherwise wouldn't have been able to, such as Colossi, or even Hellions, granted they Burrow.

ON the topic of Zerglings, I'll just quote this from a recent article.

So in terms of the raw Zergling, this is the upgrade. While it does lead itself to certain disadvantages as well, it will all be balanced in the end. Even if Zergling's don't have any upgrades like the Zealot or Marine, it will still all be balanced in the end.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  14. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Ofcourse, I completly forgot that!

stupid me...

15. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    @IHG yes thats true. plus im not the greatest player ever so i suk with micro (im just sorta learning it) but ive seen the pros and they use spells like Hell (and i don't) mostly because i play with a friend that used to pwn me when i didnt know anything but now he suks because he doesnt play much. (plus it used to take both of us a half an hour to set up no it still takes him that long and me 10 or so.)

i also think that the ling has been one of the most buffed units in the game. think now with awesome pathing they will bunch up and attack as one. plus with banelings since there morphed from lings there very plentaful especialy when they only cost minerals.
    lings also get a speed increase on creep (like almost all units) but it makes it that much easyer to catch up to an anemy in your base so you can defend well.

Personaly i can't wait till SC2 comes out, mostly because my friend will know nothing and be a total noob at it. ill probly have like infesters sitting around his base for a while and have giant baneling drops that he wouldnt have thought could happen because he will be way to noob.

but anyway enought of what happens with me and Bnet/friends

16. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Im gonna enjoy playing 2v2's (perhaps with some of you guys). Just imagine baneling + dropships and marines.
    Probably going to be much more fun then scbw 2v2.

17. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    thats true but i think that the zerg will have one of the most destructive drops ever.

basicly zerg brings a few ovies stuffed with banes. they spread creep everywhere and u brind an overseer along for the ride to morph some nudys worms. you could do this at two locations to fool the enemy. just think the zerg might be the drop race if you like thos strats.

plus also you could have a ZT v (what ever other races) Terran works on pure defence and the Zerg prepare to drop like mad. and even helping the defence.

that could be an extreemly leathal combo!

18. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Yeah but with dropships (terran) you could have faster drops then if Zerg has to tech for transport. Thats why im suggesting Dropships + Banelings. Terran techrushes with bunker on ramp, Zerg goes lings and techs for banelings.
    BOOM!

19. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    wouldnt the Terran have to wait longer to tech to drops??

the Zerg get there lair (and if the upgrades stayed were they were) they would get ovie speed/drop pretty quickly. and they would have plunty of banes out and they would be Muta harrasing by then.

the Terran have to make a racks/ plus defence crap then make a fac and then make starport and build the stupid add-on and by then mutas are harrasing you and if you attack his base all the Zerg do is burrow there drones and explode all (or some) of the hidden banes burrowed in the ground (whitch have an explode button) plus he would then just rush in with lings to clean up (or use the drones) if you're rines are insta killed then that prettly much defeats the purpose.

20. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Erhm I dont think so. For the first the Techlab will already be avaible (build at at the racks), and taking that into account a dropship should be out around the time mutalisks arive. Your allied Zerg player would also be able to pressure the oppsing Zerg player, forcing him to go for more Zerglings (unless your other enemy defends him), slowing him down. Remember that one hatch Mutalisks arent a lot of Mutalisks ;)
    The problem with my strategy I think is the fact that a fast push on the Zerg player would kill him :(
    Its not sure that the Zerg player has upgraded burrow, thats additional gas. And 8 banelings can blow up a lot of tech.

But yeah the game looks very complicated, and we can first try to think about builds when we arrive at beta I think.