1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zerg seem worse in SC2.

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Redlazer, Jul 10, 2009.

Zerg seem worse in SC2.

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Redlazer, Jul 10, 2009.

1. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    4 seems to be a lot? both of the Terrans casters have 4 abilities.

Raven : 1. Detector. 2. Heat Seeking Missile(sounds better than HSM=Hunter-Seeker Missile, i believe.). 3. Auto-Turret. 4. Defensive Drone(a drone which intercepts missiles and shots).

Ghost : 1. Cloak. 2. Snipe. 3. EMP. 4. Nuke. (in fact the Ghost used to have 5 abilities, with its 5th ability being the Energy Radar, it detect units with energy within a range of 30. the other 4 it had is the ones it have now except that the EMP back then was like the EMP from SC1)

And the Protoss Mothership almost always had 4 abilities to it.

Mothership : 1. Cloaking Field. 2. Wormhole Transit(The mothership can instantly travel to a player controlled building). 3. Black Hole/Vortex. 4. Planet Cracker.

2. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Erm read my post again!?

Overseer has 5 abillities if it gains Transfusion - Passive Detector, Sight Range Increase when not moving, Spawn Changeling, Spore Cloud (a line of sight blocker similar to smoke on platforms. Thats a lot, especially that it was never meant to be much more than a detector, or am I missunderstanding something there?

3. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    ... Doh! + *faceplam* + *writes a note telling self to get more sleep* stupid lack of sleep...

anyway lets get back on topic......

I dont really have anything to say, the Zerg might be weak now, but maybe its because we dont know how to play with the improved zerg of SC2, or maybe its because right now Blizzard is more concern about testing ability ideas rather then balancing the game, as Beta would be a lot more helpful for that.

4. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    "but maybe its because we dont know how to play with the improved zerg of SC2" that and a little bit balance is what Im thinking right now. I dont see any problems with the Zerg (but i miss dark swarm), so please - for gods sake - dont whine so Blizzard changes anything major now. Im really awaiting to play with this super flexible Zerg.

5. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

I think the overseers spore cloud sounds intresting. A line of sightblocker. Remember blizzard said you cant shoot back if you dont have a air unit or units on that side to see there. Given that the overseer is obvously around to creat a spore cloud then sight is avalible. Zerg kinda do have Darkswarm in just a very different form. This makes things so much more intresting.

6. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    so basicly you're attacking with your tanks, (one coud thingy later) now u cant see me'h and dont know when i might strike throught the cloud.

i could see a lot of different uses for that.

SC2 will still no matter what be an epic game!

7. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    As you say its a LOS-blocker, so in some situations it can work as a dark-swarm. But it will never be a darkswarm. No more cracklings killing protoss-expansions togehter with one defiler... No more Zerg vs Terran -> can you kill my defilers before they kill you...
    A lot of strategies are removed.
    But with spore cloud I can see new strategies. Broodlords siege with LOS blocked by spore clouds :) (changeling in base scouting for them :D

LOS-blockers are normally not very usefull for Zerg though, because its not buffing their bread and butter unit(s).

8. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    thats the gist of it, except if the enemy has an Air unit or Colossus around, they will be able to see in and beyond the cloud, negating its use in the first place.

9. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    Kk thx. I think this is one thing blizz is trying to do. Remove some loved mech and add new so that you can love them even more when the uses are found out.

SC2 will be nothing like the original, it will be awesomeness on a disk! With your name on it.

10. ShoGun

ShoGun Guest

The infestor seems kind of weak. I proposed in another topic that the neural parasite (mind control) give the target unit being controlled an infested art make over. In addition, instead of giving control back to the previous owner after the effect ends, make the unit die or the effect permanent. The spawn infested marine should be removed and replaced with a new ability, it doesn't make very much sense.

The overseer and queen are looking good. =D

11. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Omg lol, an instant mind control costing 100 energy that MC's a unit for 10 secs and after that it dies. Scream imba?
    But I agree with the infested marines, I also think it will be removed when we hit beta.

12. ShoGun

ShoGun Guest

Scream imba? I don't think so. All I said was how the ability would work, you didn't take into consideration of there being any possible changes in statistics for the ability to accomidate the changes made. You just assumed that the stats would remain the same, that is some bad judgement on your part. On the subject of the infested marines, I hope so too.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2009
  13. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Yes, thats not bad judgement on my part. You suggest an idea: Suggesting some changes. You cant just suggest some changes and then think we naturally will balance the other factors in my head. So you just want a much stronger more energy costing abbility, that probably wont be as usefull in those sitiuations we were shown (middle of battle), but is good at sniping some strong units?

14. ShoGun

ShoGun Guest

Yes perhaps. My emphasis on the primary purpose of the ability is a way to introduce infested units of other races into the game, by morphing the target unit of neural parasite into its infested counter part. So not only would you have infested marines, but infested ghosts, maurauders, zeolots, etc. But I guess that would make it an entirely different ability all together now wouldn't it?

15. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    I cant follow you. You want to fusion the two abillities?

16. ShoGun

ShoGun Guest

Kind of. I really don't care about stats and other effects with the exception that the unit being mind controlled looks like it has been infested. This way we wouldn't have to worry about having the spawn infested marine ability because marines being mind controlled will become something that looks like infested marines.

Thinking about it, I think it would be best if the effect was permanent or the unit dies after the effect duration ends. To balance that out, instead of high energy cost, make it limited to only certain units. Massive units would be excluded, as well as fully robotic units. Or better yet, make the energy cost determined by the power of the unit being infested.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2009
  17. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Yeah but you have to understand the mechanism and what role it has in the Zerg gameplay right now... ...

1. Lorewise your idea is even worser than the infested marines abillity. Right now the mind control abillity is genius lorewise.
    2. The idea of the MC abillity was that you could turn the battle around, for example mind controling two collosus, thereby giving your zergligns free reign.
    3. What is the idea behind your idea? That it looks cool? :p

18. ShoGun

ShoGun Guest

It looks cool, and is better suited for the zerg much more so then just a mind controlling bug. And it doesn't change much, collosus could still be effected ... only now they wouldn't return to the enemies hands, they are either permanently given to you or destroyed.

19. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    "To balance that out, instead of high energy cost, make it limited to only certain units. Massive units would be excluded, as well as fully robotic units"

Read your own post lol :) No collosus'es. And I cant simply take that one of your main points is "it looks cool". And please reason your "and is better suited for the zerg much more so then just a mind controlling bug". I cant see how it would benefit the Zerg more than the MC they have now.

20. ShoGun

ShoGun Guest

I understand my posts, you don't though. I am just throwing other ideas around the core idea, but the primary purpose is what is stated in the quote. Also the removal of the spawn infested marine ability would make room for a new ability that could compensate for the infestor's lost.