1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zerg seem worse in SC2.

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Redlazer, Jul 10, 2009.

Zerg seem worse in SC2.

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Redlazer, Jul 10, 2009.

1. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

In mid-tier, zerg will have access to:
    *Overseers - line of sight blocker
    *Infestor - neural parasite anyone?
    *Mutalisks - mutas can be acquired in numbers faster than tanks.
    *Drop ins - I'm not yet sure if the Overlords still has loading but the Nydus worm is a promising mechanic

2. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    Yes the overlord has loading (was taken away for a while then given back)

And in the big game hunters you could put a broodlord there and the tank would be bye bye and then just repair/wait/regen for the building.

And over seer is a good idea, maybe they should just make all of the skills of the overseer and the kool other stuff it can do be upgrades for the overlord.

3. Phase

Phase New Member

- Changeling: Too gimmicky? Its got brilliant gimmicks.
    - Overlords: I concur. No sensor... just, what the?
    - Overseer: Its fail having two 'Overs', but I do like some of the abilities.
    - Hydralisks: Concur too. Combating a Thor without nerfed Hydras would be fun.

4. Mattbaumann777

Mattbaumann777 New Member

The Zerg in SC2 = epic phail

5. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    ^ coming from the 10 views that could have been fixed a thousand times by the time we get to see them. Yes looking at thoughs they suck, but I think Ima just go huge forces of hydras and lings and when there in a big battle sneak in there base and dump lots of marines on there workers and eat there workers as a desert during the main course (their army).

6. Mattbaumann777

After 11 years, they could have come up with some better units. I'm going to miss the queen with the one shot kill to take out tanks, ghosts, lurkers, and templar. And I'm going to miss dark swarm for anti carrier and battlecruisers. They might as well call the Zerg "The Useless Race".

7. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Because that's a completely rational and detached way of looking at things, isn't it Matt. I mean, not being able to one-shot some of the most powerful Ground units in the game or instantly become impervious to damage from the strongest Air flyers must mean that team's useless.

8. Mattbaumann777

Pretty much. How are you going to defend against mass carriers and mass battlecruisers? Zerg Air has always been useless. Mutas and Devourers get torn apart by terran and protoss air easily. The only way to save your base is to have defilers. I want to see a replay of you destroying mass carriers without defilers. How else are you going to defend against nukes when the terran player has a row of 20 tanks guarding his ghost?

9. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    You're speaking as though they're simply removing the Defiler and Queen from StarCraft1. StarCraft2 is a completely different game, dude.

An ability which renders an entire airborne fleet useless is not required to counter the fleet. It may have been in StarCraft1, but StarCraft1 was StarCraft1. StarCraft2 is StarCraft2. They're two different games, so you can't see how balanced not having Dark Swarm in StarCraft2 will be by playing StarCraft1 without Defilers. That's simply ridiculous.

The same goes for Tanks, Ghosts and Templar. By the way, I love how you included Lurkers as one of the reasons why Zerg need Spawn Broodlings. Because Zerg will be overpowered now that Zerg's so underpowered that they can't one-shot Lurkers? Regardless, Zerg have enough options to take out a single Ghost, or Templar, or Tank. Also you may wish to keep in mind that Terran do require a chance to be able to pull off Nuke's successfully. Complaining that Terran's may be able to Nuke you is like complaining that Protoss are using Zealots.

10. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    And try building a couple dozen curruptors and whatching the carrier of bc fleet tear them selves apart!
    Matt there is you're counter to any capital ship, especialy since every capital ship they lose the more dange there taking. =D

and you can sneak up on ghosts with roaches and pop up and down or infester and spawn marines or use mind control to garentee that the ghost and bomb are dead.

And you have spore cloud that can block the field of view of the enemy troops taking away the range advantage they once had.

Think a little more and don't complain Matt.

11. Arzgoth

Arzgoth New Member

The zerg are better in starcraft 2, one can feel the power of the swarm because controlling the zerg with great skill the commander can control the entire map, and the brute force of the zerg is very awesome, btw if you think there are some useless units then think again, because you have 5 zerg abilities that spawn units.

12. Mattbaumann777

I don't really think they're better in any way. The air force is going to be very weak. The corrurptor doesn't sound any better than the devourer, and I'd probably rather have the devourer to maket he mutas damange more effective and slow enemy fire, especially since there are no flying casters than can cast entangle to slow enemy air. The mutas aren't as fast as the original SC so hit and run tactic opportunities diminish. I think mutas should be given a speed upgrade or a chance to upgrade their attack or armor to make them useful against enemy fleets. Also, there is no scourge which was great against carriers.
    The lurkers can be seen while burrowed. This is pretty lame and worse than the original.
    The ultralisk does seem better than the original thankfully since it has good attack power and can burrow.
    I'm hoping for a zerg race that doesn't suck in the late game. The confirmed list of buildings doesn't even mention the sunken or spore colony. I personally think the spores should be improved to help defend against carriers and battlecruisers.

13. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Long story short, it's foolish to simply assume that a unit will be of any comparative strength to a completely different unit in StarCraft1. The Corrupter will be balanced to fill the role it needs in the Zerg Air-to-Air force, and assuming it will fail to properly fill that whole is merely that. An assumption.

What we can say about the Corrupter is that it will act very similarly to the Devourer, in that as the battle grows longer, its affects will increase. Just as the Devourer added Acid Spores over time in StarCraft1, the Corrupter will start to create Corrupted Units in StarCraft2, adding to the Zerg force and increasing the likelihood of creating even more Corrupted Units.

I've heard nothing to support this. While it's been said that pathing will make it harder for Mutalisks to clump together, it's definitely not going to be impossible. From what I've heard they've been designed so that they can, just not to the exploitative stage that they could in StarCraft1. They've also been designed to be able to attack on the move, in the same manner as in StarCraft1. I've heard nothing to say that they're any slower.

As for saying it needs an upgrade in terms of speed or damage and armour, you're blatantly assuming that the Mutalisk is already underpowered, and for no reason. Saying the Mutalisk needs any specialty upgrade to base stats, other than the standard Flyer Upgrades, is assuming that you, as an outside, disconnected, inexperienced and outdated observer, can balance Blizzard's game better than Blizzard employees themselves.

Lurkers cannot be seen while Burrowed.

The confirmed list of buildings doesn't mention Sunken of Spore Colonies because this is StarCraft2, not StarCraft1. The Creep, Sunken and Spore Colonies have been replaced with Creep Tumours, Spine Crawlers and Spore Crawlers, which are all definitely superior to the original Zerg defences in StarCraft1. But seriously, this is a sequel. Don't assume things are the same as the original.

14. Mattbaumann777

It says in the confirmed units list that the Lurker can be seen while burrowed.
    I'm not saying that I can balance the game better than the Blizzard team can, I'm just saying Mutas have been proven to be weak against big ships unless a devourer has softened them up with acid spores or a queen has slowed them down with ensnare. I use scourges to attack the ships while they are engaged with mutas and devourers. I'm just getting a sense than the Zerg air force is a bit weaker in Sc2.

15. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I don't know where you're looking for your list of confirmed units, but the whole Lurkers being seen while Burrowed thing was disproven a long time ago.

And Mutalisks are not designed to be the be-all-and-end-all for Zerg Air. They're not supposed to be able to take on anything, big or small. That's what other Anti-Air units are for, such as the Corrupter, Hydralisks, etc.

16. Mattbaumann777

I'm looking at the list of confirmed units seen here about the Lurker.
    http://www.starcraft2forum.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3109
    Mutalisks aren't supposed to take on anything big or small? What are they used for then? I find them more effective when targets are softened up by devourers, queens, and scourges. Without that support, they are way less useful in fighting air targets.

17. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Dude.

That list is so out-of-date it's not funny.

And Mutalisks aren't supposed to take on anything specific. As in, they're not designed to counter big units, like, say, Vikings, and they're not designed to counter small units, like Hellions. They're designed to be multi-purpose and versatile, and that's what makes them so effective.

Without the support of Devourers, Queens and Scourges, it may me true that they're way less useful in fighting Air targets, but that's why in StarCraft2, they have Corrupters, Corrupted Masses and Overseers to support them.

18. Higgs Boson

Higgs Boson New Member

Wait so you are complaining that Mutalisks can no longer solo the game for zergs? And thats a bad thing? Personally I am getting sick of muta micro in every single freaking zerg game out there.

19. AcidFiend

AcidFiend Guest

Why did Blizzard choose to work Zerg last? It was almost like a marketing gimmick, "we'll keep people interested by doing nothing for Zerg yet.. heh heh." And yet its backfired when the Zerg design and polish is completely lacking compared to the other races.

I'm not talking about balance I'm talking about style and design. Meh.

20. Mattbaumann777

After waiting this long, I could barely believe they didnt add a fourth race. They could have at least made the Zerg a little better with all the time they had. They're basically the same as sc1, except no scourge, no lurkers, spine crawlers are nerfed sunkens and their spells are all over the place.