1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zerg Seeker Colony

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by BnechbReaker, Aug 17, 2007.

Zerg Seeker Colony

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by BnechbReaker, Aug 17, 2007.

1. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

a little less, some people don't play starcraft

2. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    there is no freaking way man! Starcraft is too good to be missed!

3. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

well i certainly hope for ultras and firebats to be back

4. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

the reaver was removed because it didnt survive the testing, blizzard didnt run tests about firebats yet, if they fail the testing they will be removed too

5. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

at the moment the firebat is very much in, i hope this don't change

6. Overling

Overling New Member

I think it's too hard for Ultras. They would require such a remodeling that calling them Ultras would be exaggerated. However, depending on what else is with the Zerg now, they might have a role still.

But you know what would be cool to see back? Wraith's pilots on Cobras! "standing by..." "Unemployment sent me here..."

And Dropship lady on Banshees! "In the five... five five five!" "Promotion got me here..."

But somehow I get the feeling that the demo campaign chars will be on those pics.

7. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I don't think that it's a very good idea. Firstly Protoss have just created a way to move their static defenses, so Zerg also being able to acquire movable defenses would kind of nullify the Protoss' new specialty. All the defenses of each team work differently.
    Protoss have a two-in-one Anti-Ground and Anti-Infantry turret, which are now able to be relocated.
    Terran, to a lesser extent, have movable turrets (Siege Tank), but I feel that their defenses already work differently enough, what with the Bunker needing to be filled with other units, and the Siege Tank being able to be used for defensive and offensive purposes.
    Zerg are the only ones that have one turret for Anti-Ground, and a separate turret for Anti-Air, although they are a tad different due to their evolution from Creep Colony and their Creep production. If Zerg were to get a movable Colony (even if it did only attack air), then it would be too similar to the Protoss Phase Cannon.
    Also, if they did get this new mechanic then they would need to have some kind of an 'Uproot' similar to the one in WarCraft3, except they shouldn't have any attack while uprooted. Remember when a Zerg Building is destroyed you can see an assortment of roots where it was destroyed, so if it didn't uproot first, it'd be like watching a tree walk across your backyard with its roots still in the ground.

8. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

this is a unit, not a building, it can move anywhere ground units can, and it's meant to be anti-capital-ship only. it could turn into a building if you wish, in case you want to spread creep

9. The Watcher

The Watcher Guest

This would be cool on the condition that if you morph it into a building it is stuck as such

10. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    An anti capital ship needed to be mobile because the Battle Cruiser can yamato base defenses from out of range and the carrier can sit just outside of range while the interceptors fly in for the kill

11. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

it is mobile, it can move anywhere a ground unit can. it has very long range(siege tank), but the projectiles travel quite slowly and dissipates when it reaches 1.5 times max shooting range so fast air units can dodge it. but capital ships can't. it fires very slowly but each shot can kill a small air unit if it hits

12. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    WHOA siege tank range. That sort of negates the whole range advantage capital ships have. They should still outrange aa units just make the seeker colony fat enough with enough HP to get close enough to unleash its spores

13. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

that would work too, what i imagine when a came up with is idea was a "giant anti-air mega cannon" kind of unit.

14. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Just out of curiosity, what would the projectile be and where would it come from? You need to keep it natural looking and Zergular. By the way, in my opinion it would be better to be some kind of building thing than a unit. Ultralisk should be the largest Zerg unit, able to dwarf all other Zerg units by a fair way.

15. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

this is a semi building/unit, the projectile would be some kind of volatile chemical secreted by this creature, as it flies through the air, the chemical decomposes and eventually fizzles out

16. Larvitar

Larvitar New Member

If this colony is to be used against Capital ships, this is probably what is going to happen

Colony finds target. Prebuild scourge like objects fly out. They can only hit the target and nothing else. Then, the cooldown is very long. This colony's AI is to find the highest value target and smash it down. The range is siege tank. Many capital ships would smash this down, but this one takes down one capital ship fast. If you tried to use this against small flyers the enemy would be laughing his head off at seeing you kill one flyer every 10 secs.

17. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Personally I'd prefer to keep my one flyer each 10 seconds. Also, what would happen if you just mass these in your base, with Sunken Colonies as well, but no Spore Colonies for air defense. You'd be able to take out a whole half of an attack force in one wave of attacks, and the other half 10 seconds later. Unless they all hit the same target, that would be funny!

18. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

fast fliers can dodge the attack, capital ships won't be killed in one attack, more like 5

19. Larvitar

Larvitar New Member

These things will all target capital ships.
    If not, they all target the same, highest hp flyer.
    Or better still, they cannot hit small flyers.
    (Think WC3 steam engines. Can't hit land units right?)

20. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

i think only be able to hit capital ships too limiting, although small fliers can dodge the attack, it would still require micro on the enemie's part, and while dodging they cannot attack. if the enemy is careless and simply send in his small flyers, they they will be slaughtered, which makes the seeker colony generally more useful, otherwise no one would used it unless the enemy has capital ships.