1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zerg Omnidiscussion

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by BirdofPrey, Aug 31, 2008.

?

What is your overall level of satisfaction with the Zerg?

Poll closed Sep 27, 2008.
  1. *****

13.6%
  2. ****

45.5%
  3. ***

27.3%
  4. **

9.1%
  5. *

4.5%

Zerg Omnidiscussion

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by BirdofPrey, Aug 31, 2008.

1. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Larva: Not much to be said, but they've got an awesome new model. Awesome.

Drone: Drones have lost a lot of their visual StarCraft1 dynamics. Right now they look like either something you'd get in a box of cereal or a squeaky-toy for your dog. Far too plastic-y, bright, and plain. From what I remember they had a pretty awesome portrait, but their model definitely needs improvement. I don't see why they aren't effected by the speed bonus while on Creep though. I mean, sure, they're seldom travelling off the Creep, but it doesn't make sense to exclude them. They wouldn't need to be made faster, their base speed could simply be lowered so that their total speed on Creep, with bonus, is the same as their old without. It'd basically result in a penalty when off Creep, but would discourage long distance mineral chains, promoting more Hatcheries to be made, resulting in a greater potential in unit production. Not vital, but it works and I just don't see why Drone should be excluded from this mechanic. Overall, decent, though their model's really letting them down. It's a simple problem to fix, and apart from that not much can be done with them, so I don't see why they'd be left with the current model they have.

Queen: Fantastic model, though suspiciously humanoid. I've got my suspicions that Kerrigan may be using a unique Queen model, but I've already talked about that in another thread. Anyway, I preferred the Queen when she had a melee attack, especially when that melee attack could target Air units. Something about a beasty Hive warden literally tearing ships out of the skies speaks pure awesomeness to me. In game, she could easily reach, and lore-wise she could just make use of Warp Space, just as Nydus Wyrms, Overlords, Mutalisks, or any Zerg Air unit for that matter, etc, do. I also preferred it when her evolutions had proper names, being Lair Watcher and Hive Matriarch. 'Large Queen and 'Huge' Queen are just... Lame. Another thing I loved about the new Queen was how it was in control of the Zerg's defences. Along with Deep Tunnel she could be anywhere you need, much faster than any Drone could, then she could just simply drop a few 'Colonies' and move on, simply waiting for them to hatch, just as all Zerg units do. I definitely don't see why everyone had a problem with it. It'd've been quicker to place them, you'd've been able to place more and you wouldn't've needed to expend a Drone for each one, hence cutting down on cost, production time, as well as the effort you need to put into your own defences. Overall, it's a good unit, but I believe it started out better than it is now.

Queen Abilities: I reckon she needs Deep Tunnel right from the get go. You've only got one, and you don't want to be wasting any minerals at the start. If she gets surrounded or something, you've got to be able to get her out. I also don't see a point for Transfusion so early on, not to mention that it's not a very Zergy ability. As for make Morphalisks, I've got mixed feelings. Seems a little weird. Good for massing and acquiring quick defences, but it looks like something that the Hatchery, Lair or Hive should have instead. After all, that's where the Larvae will always be, and that's the control centre for all unit production, so why not? Hatcheries are much more durable than Queens and it could easily be put on a global trigger to stop every Hatchery using it at once. Swarm Infestation's pretty nifty, but I reckon they're going about it the wrong way. Magically transforming all nearby buildings into defences? It's not even as though they're morphing, mutation or evolving into anything, as they 'evolve' back after a few seconds. Even if it was just something as simple as a swarm of thing-lings, perhaps the Swarms, which'd been cancelled, were to emerge from under each building. Overall, her abilities seem way to magical and not Zergy enough. They should be abilities and not spells. Most of them, apart from Transfusion which doesn't suit Zerg at all, and Morphalisks, which's just been given to the wrong unit, they work, it's just that they need an overhaul, regardless of whether it's graphic or based on their position in her own tech tree.​

Morphalisk: I've spoken about these a bit. Mainly I reckon they need t be moved to the Hatchery, Lair or Hive. It'd be more usable due to Hatcheries being stronger and could be given a global trigger to stop instant masses. Overall, decent idea, wrong place.​

Zergling: Awesome unit, awesome model, awesome portrait. Better pathing and more compact swarms will make these even more deadly. We can finally say goodbye to over ten control groups of Zerglings all marching single file into your opponent's base, stopping every so often to wait for the ones in front to continue. Overall, awesome.

Baneling: Pretty sweet unit, though I'm still completely against the rolling. It's just insane. When you compare it to what it could potentially have, as a fat, engorged tick hefting its weight as it almost literally drags itself forwards, lugging its massive sacks of acid... I don't see how it can compare. I reckon they may benefit more from having a bonus against Armoured units instead of Light, as it would appear to suit them more, but it would also drastically change their role, so I guess they better remain. Overall, awesome if it weren't for their rolling.​

Roach: Spectacular. The looks, the regeneration... Spectacular. Favourite new unit for the Zerg, possibly even my favourite overall. The way they create a unit that's fragile yet durable is just awesome. It keeps the Zerg as a swarmed army while giving them something that's virtually immune to standard Anti-Zerg attacks. Overall, spectacular.

Hydralisk: Absolutely hideous model. The Hydralisk really hasn't had much luck in the in-game looks department since StarCraft1. In StarCraft:Ghost it looked like a kids toy and now it's pathetically fragile and over-the-top model ever conceived. It's got mammoth tusks, foglight eyes, echidna spines, and anorexic wrists and elbows supporting overly large and numerous scythes, not to mention that it's looks as though it's been painted to hang as a Christmas tree bauble, and I won't even mention what it looks like when burrowed. The newfound avatar's pretty sweet, hopefully hinting that it's been redesigned, and genuinely does look pretty good. The second pair of mandibles have been changed fairly drastically but could definitely work. Hopefully they won't overcompensate after designing it with its current novelty-sized dentures and make them ridiculously small, but I reckon it'll work out. As for the unit itself, not much has changed. It has got a new bonus now, which's pretty spiffy. From the looks of its current damage (thirteen against Ground, with a bonus three against Armoured targets and twelve against Air with a bonus five against Armoured), it's either pretty precisely balanced or they don't know what to do with it. I'm hoping for the former. Overall, still a great unit, but its model is just.... Eugh.

Lurker: Pretty awesome unit still. Obviously now out there to counter Siege Tanks, Thors, Hellions, Colossi, Stalkers, etc, obviously through an ambush, but still easily effective against other Ground units in small groups. I liked the old model, through we haven't seen the new one, despite them saying they'll try to show us one soon a fair few months back. Overall, still awesome.​

Infester: I know it's been remodelled, but it's gotta be said again, this thing has a hideous model. Needs something much more serpentine (like the Defiler), or maybe even like a horseshoe crab if they didn't want to completely redesign it. Dark Swarm, Disease and Infestation are shaping up well as well, though I hope they think of a new approach to its method. Not only should it be a permanent infestation, perhaps only usable on production units but that's all up to balance, but there's just something about the diarrhoea fountain that's not particularly appetising. Overall, depending on its new model, it's pretty sweet. Infestation could do with an overhaul though.

Infested Marine: Firstly, I love how there're no Infested Protoss. That would've just screwed things up lore-wise. As for the Infested Marines themselves, the model's spot on, and as for their new ability to make use of the weapons they're holding, they're awesome. Overall, they're fantastic, only they need to be purchasable, permanent, or at least more permanent if you get what I mean, and not just all pop out at once.​

Ultralisk: I've always disliked the Ultralisk's model. Far too rigid, far too cramped, and it just doesn't work as an animal. Perhaps a mix between the current model and the original StarCraft1 concept would work. It'd look more buggy, promoting the Zerg as a swarm, and wouldn't look as... Fake. As a unit it's great though. Small area of effect and devastating against buildings. What more could you ask for from an Ultralisk? Overall, pretty good, needs a more refined model though.

Continued...

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  2. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    ...Continued:

Mutalisk: Firstly, I love the model. A few people tended to disagree, but it works for me. As for the unit itself, it's good to see they're trying to keep it along the lines of the StarCraft1 Mutalisk, which would have been tricky with the new engine, etc, and it seems to have worked. They can cluster up and they can attack on the go. It'll be a bit more tricky than in StarCraft1, but at least it's true to the unit. Otherwise it's just a regular flyer with a bouncing attack.

Swarm Guardian: Interesting model. People were always talking about having a centipede-like creature for the Zerg, and I always tended to disagree. Not only did this go along the lines of a centipedal creature, but also, when I first saw it, it didn't really get that same reaction as most of the returning, remodelled units did. It just seemed to work so well for it. In short, great model. Seems to be a very strong unit, just as it was in StarCraft1, perhaps even stronger now that it's faster, or at least it appears to be faster, but that might just be its new animation. Overall, Broodlings aside, it's basically just the old Guardian, which is indeed awesome.​

Broodling: These will need to be done well in order for them to work, especially seeing as they spawn on attack. If they're too weak, then they're just plain useless, if they're too strong, they're overpowered. Can't really say much more at the moment, I just wish Blizzard would tell us a bit more about their use. They don't appear to be too useful at the moment, so if they aren't, why are they there?​

Corrupter
    : Awesome. Fairly interesting model, namely because it doesn't identify with any of the other Zerg units at all, but still works as a Zerg unit. Great model, great debuff mechanic, great unit. Overall, it fits in with the Zerg army very well. Again, great unit.

Overlord: Spectacular model! Absolute perfection. Same goes for its portrait. As for the unit itself, pretty standard, Excrete Creep could be interesting, but it suits the Infester more. As I'll explain further with the Overseer, the Overseer does nothing to complement the Overlord, and, in fact, harms it. Overall, for what Blizzard wants it for, it's perfect, but when compared to what it could potentially be, it's simply been ruined.

Overseer: Ugly model. It looks like some kind of beholder that got caught in a garbage compactor. Doesn't fit in with the Zerg at all and ruins the Overlord's fantastic model. As for its abilities, both Spawn Changeling and Excrete Creep, again, seem to suit the Infester better. Blizzard said that the Overseer split was introduced to make Cloaking more useful to Zerg opponents, as StarCraft1 Overlords were simply too good at detecting. Why not just make a Detection upgrade instead? Or a slower movement speed so they can't be everywhere at once? After all, Zerg can still have the Nydus Wyrm for transporting. As for the sight range increasing while idle, but the Detection range staying the same, I reckon that's just stupid. Just keep the Overlord as it was. Perhaps some Detection or speed changes to allow opponent to use Cloak more effectively. Overall, horrible. Just horrible.​

Changeling: This is just a weird concept. I reckon it should just be scrapped, replaced with a new Parasite ability, and given to the Infester, or possibly the Queen. Simple as that.​

Nydus Wyrm: Firstly, the model's a bit weird. Like a sideways goat skull with seemingly random tendrils coming out one side. It would be so much more efficient to allow them to emerge anywhere, like in the Protoss gameplay video. If it was changed because it could deploy units too quickly, what with being able to carry something like two hundred and fifty five, why not just limit that number instead? For this to be effective, it needs to be able to emerge anywhere, and possibly for it to redeploy as well. Perhaps even if instead of having one entire network, they have networks of up to three or four entrances and exits? Similar to the StarCraft1 Nydus Canal, where you had to build a new Nydus Canal for each pair, but there could be more. So long as they're not all linked into one. Anyway, so long as it's not restricted to Creep, as that severely limits its capabilities.

Crawlers and Creep Tumours: I definitely preferred the original system of one-by-one sized Swarm Clutches, Shriekers (though perhaps without Detection), etc, which were all deployed by the Queen. It was so much more beneficial to the Zerg and was unique to the other races, which I've already spoken about with the Queen. Crawlers are alright, but definitely not as good. They're just standard defences now, only they have the Protoss' old ability to move about.

Overall: Zerg units seem to either be absolutely awesome or unimaginably horrific. There's hardly any middle ground. A lot of abilities seem to have been given to the wrong units as well. Most problems seem to lie with the graphics, but there are definitely other issues as well. Many units have progressed nicely, but there are also others, namely the Queen, who have definitely fallen back. Overall, a strong team, unfortunately with a fair few fairly minor issues holding them back.

3. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Holy megapost batman

4. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    One explanation is that they float a good bit above the creep.

5. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    I am revising this topic to make it into a article.
    As such this topic is reopened for another week for new comments