1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zerg Melee Flyer

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Psionicz, Feb 18, 2008.

?

Melee air attacker?

1. Make the Scourge into AtA melee

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Have an exclusive GtA Zerg attacker

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Scourge suicide is better

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. [sub]<Insert Innovative Creative Balanced Idea Here>[/sub]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Zerg Melee Flyer

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Psionicz, Feb 18, 2008.

1. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I think that they still have the Glaive Wurm attack, at least according to sc2armory.com they do, but that doesn't make this suggestion invalid.The Mutalisk would have to lay an egg or cocoon or something for the Glaive Wurm to evolve in, but that's definitely doable. Like how a Hydralisk has to evolve into a Lurker through the egg, but this time the Mutalisk would have to give birth to it. Seeing as we've witnessed that some Zerg creatures can create others, like the Hatchery and Queen, and also seeing as similar mechanics have been used with the Nomad, where the Nomad can create Auto-Turrets (except the Glaive Wurms would have to take some time to evolve unlike the Turrets), I think this idea would fit in extremely well.

2. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    i like this idea but I'm an little confused.
    Would the mutalisks just spawn the glaiveworms with their attacks or would they have to build the egg and then let it grow outside the body?

3. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Depends on which would work better. So far we have ideas of:
    Glavie Wurm being a seperate unit all together
    Mutalisks spawning them
    How about if a Mutalisk dies it's Glaive Wurm stays alive and continuous to fight. Very fast melee air attacker.

4. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    I liked the third one a bit, the best idea so far. Let the mutalisk stay like in SC1 but when it dies its glaive wurms continue to fight. GENIUS!

5. biglittlezergling

biglittlezergling New Member

but how many little worms would pop out??

6. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    How about, the less kills then the more Glaive Wurms come out. Cuz its like it didn't create any so the unit has more Glaive Wurms.
    This would balance its self out by allowing players to loose a few Mutalisks just to get Glaive wurms lets say a limit of 5-10 per Mutalisk. And of course if the Mutalisk has made 10 kills no Glaive Wurms come out but that need a big re-though. Just had to get it out.
    This also brings many tactics wherw a player would favour only Glavie Wurms for a certain situations so he kills a Mutalisk of his own. (Scouting)

But not staying on the idea, give each Mutalisk 5 Glaive Wurms when it dies. Will the Glaive Wurms be controled or will they run free? Or will they be controled like Critters. I'd say Critters cuz a player could effectivly have an unlimited army of Glavie Wurms if he/she decided to kill all their Mutalisks but thats a waste of money so...

7. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    i think the player should be able to control the glave worms but only for a limited amount of time, which makes sense because they evolved to be shot at enemies, so their lifespan shouldn't be long outside of the mutalisks body.

8. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    You kind of control the glaive wurm by choosing what to attack with the Mutalisk in the first place.
    But to actually control the glaive wurm... Too hard. They're small and fast and you would never have enough time to do anything with one if you manage to select one.

9. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    what you can do with the glave worm really depends on how long it lives,
    but I do see your point and i understand why you wouldn't want people to be able to control them.
    If they cant be controlled glave worms should act like creeps that attack the nearest enemy.
    Also would glave worms be able to attack ground, or would they be air to air only?

10. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    The Glaive Wurm would actually have to evolve in and egg or something. It shouldn't just be able to be fired out and is instantly in the control of the player.
    An idea I did like from this discussion was that when the Mutalisk dies, some (about five or so) Glaive Wurms are released. However, again, the player shouldn't have control over them. They should just head for one of the closest targets, kinda like a single round from a Phoenix's Overload.

11. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    wasn't that what we were talking about?
    i know i was
    i like the idea of dead mutalisks launching glave worms in all directions when they die, but i think the glave worms should only live for a limited time, or a defensive player could kill several mutalisks for a carpet of glave worms above his game.

12. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    What do you mean 'wasn't that what we were talking about'? I said that it was 'an idea I did like from this discussion'.
    Glave Wurms explode on impact. They wouldn't live longer than the time it takes for them to react their opponent. If there aren't any opponents to hit, then they would just die. Or maybe they just wouldn't be released in the first place and just die in the death of the Mutalisk.

13. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    I am not talking about controlnig it once it has been fired. It stays as a projectile until the Mutalisk dies. It then releases lets say, advanced Glaive Wurms. Something along those lines.

14. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    ok
    I think your idea was that glave worms would pop out of the Mutalisks and attack the nearest enemy, i think you didn't mentioned how long they stayed alive, so I was just wondering on that point. Other than that I love this idea, and the tactics that could evolve from this.

15. biglittlezergling

biglittlezergling New Member

it would be cool if the mutalisk died and then the worms popped out and just went and attacked the nearest target. You cannot control them though. They would also do more damage then a regular attack since there are not as many of them

it should be an upgrade at the spire

16. ShoGun

ShoGun Guest

I don't think a melee flyer would be as effective as a ranged flyer with an AtA attack since all flyers have a ranged attack and would make short work of this melee flyer before it closed the distance to initiate an attack. I like the concept though and it would sure be unique among other flyers.

These are my opinions on it can be effectively utilized:
    - it would need to be light, cheap, and super massable.
    - it would be more effective against larger flying units.
    - needs fast movement or an ability similar to the zeolots charge to close the gap between itself and the enemy.

These are the most important things I think.

Another path to take would be make it a larger unit that can take a few hits before it dies, allowing it dish out some damage before it buys the farm. It would need to be somewhat speedy, and a little bit cheap so you can afford a fair number of these.

17. nEveR_LifT

nEveR_LifT New Member

I think that the scourge is good but instead of having it explode it should melee attack. But it would have an ability like suicide bomb or something were it just explodes and does area damage.