1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zerg Melee Flyer

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Psionicz, Feb 18, 2008.

?

Melee air attacker?

1. Make the Scourge into AtA melee

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Have an exclusive GtA Zerg attacker

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Scourge suicide is better

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. [sub]<Insert Innovative Creative Balanced Idea Here>[/sub]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Zerg Melee Flyer

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Psionicz, Feb 18, 2008.

1. don_bocci

don_bocci New Member

Well I don't know if anyone remembers the rumors of SC2 that came about the second year after teh expansion (false rumors of course) but in those rumors there were ideas of a Zerg king. It would basically do what the templar and dt did for the protoss. Meaning that there would be the Queen and King, the Queen being the caster and the King being all ata melee. Personally I only used the queen when I felt especially mircoish or especially bored, anyway. The idea behid the king was to be a fast moving air to air tank that could take a couple good hits and still get in a few lashes.

The only problem I have ever had with scourge is when I go up against terran and there bc, those bc shot scourge out of the sky like no other taking full advantage of the low health of the scourge. With the new bc scourge would be even worse because the bc fires several shots at once. That is unless the separate shots from the bc did less damage than the scourges health. But still scourge are only really advantageous against protoss carriers and scouts, and I suppose terran wraith, but no one used those late game anyway. Scourge are only semi useful against zerg.

On that note if scourge were to be employed in SC2 they would do well against the protoss phase prism and carriers, when facing terran they would obviously do well against banshees and viking. The phoenix and the BC would counter scourge nicely depending on bc attack as I mentioned earlier.

2. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    ninerman13,I think its to weak, IMO enemy fighters should not be able to attack it, but then its to strong...!
    don_bocci, thats right (BC part), but against the phoenix the scourge would easily win...
    THe phoenix uses its abbility (overload right?), the scourges fly away, come back, KABOOM!

3. don_bocci

don_bocci New Member

I was referring to the phoenix's attack speed, its instant damage like that of then, but then again it depends on the health of the scourge and the attack of the phoenix

as for the mothership, it would take a bunch of scourge to down one and likely the ms would kill enough to keep itself alive plus a smart player would make sure to have some kind of counter measures against the scourge attack.

4. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Protoss players might even be able to alternate the Phoenixes Overloads so that when one's down, the other is Overloading. Also, the Mothership can't attack air, can't it? It wouldn't be able to attack the Scourges in the first place.
    The unit that I see being worst against a Scourge-like unit would be the Warp-Ray. This does damage over time and even though it would probably kill a Scourge within the first few ticks, it takes a lot of focus to do so. Lastly, I doubt the Scourge will be implemented. The Zerg already have one small and massable suicider, so I don't think they'd get another. Then again, they also had Infested Terran in StarCraft1, however those were much less convenient.

5. don_bocci

don_bocci New Member

Does the ms only hit ground? weird

Well you can't really say for sure that they are going got keep the banlings and besides that still leaves the gap where the zerg ata unit of some sort. Personally I never really liked devourers and always ended up with muta and guardian as my air army, or just a butt load of hydralisks if the conditions were right

6. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Devourers were the most damaging of all Brood War's Air-to-Air units, but it had an incredibly long cooldown. The best thing about it was the spores that slowed the attack of, and revealed, all affected units. I wouldn't particularly like to see the Devourer in StarCraft2 though. Also, not including the Scourge won't leave the Zerg vulnerable in the Air-to-Air department, because they'll just be replaced with other Air-to-Air fighters.
    I know this isn't flawless logic to use, but if both the Terran and Protoss retained about five original units each, then I'd say that the Zerg will definitely retain the Zergling, Hydralisk, Mutalisk, Ultralisk and another. I doubt that other will be the Scourge. It'll most likely be one of the casters (Queen I hope).

7. don_bocci

don_bocci New Member

Well personally I would hate to see the guardian go but a lot has changed so far in sc2 so the gaurdian may be out of style now, and if the queen comes back into play their infest ability needs to be changed around a bit, or shot and maybe some other ability. Anyway the only unit i really need with the zerg is the hydralisk so I'm happy as long as they are around

8. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I'd be stunned if Blizzard removed the Hydralisk. There are only two things worse than that. One would be if they removed the Zergling, the other would be if they removed Zerg.
    But seriously, it wouldn't be a wise move for them to remove the Hydralisk. Not only is it already a classic unit, but the replacement could hardly live up to its expectations.

9. Inside Sin

Inside Sin Active Member

Earth
    Suicide is an awsome ability of the scourge :)

10. don_bocci

don_bocci New Member

I never said they would and they had better not otherwise the entire sc community will b*tch about it

11. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I know, I'm just elaborating on the idea of them removing it.
    This has gotten off topic. If Zerg were to get the Scourge as well, then they would have both a massable Anti-Ground and a massable Anti-Air unit at their disposal. I'm not saying it'd be unbalanced, but it wouldn't sit right for me. I think that Zerg deserve a new Air-to-Air fighter. It doesn't have to be melee, but it doesn't have to be ranged. Something unlike both the Scourge and Devourer that sums up the terror of Zerg's aerial swarm in a nutshell. It'd be hard to do, what with the Mutalisk carrying over and all, but from what we've seen with the Terran and Protoss so far, it's entirely possible. I'm looking forwards to it.

12. TheOneInPower

TheOneInPower New Member

To tell the truth, I never liked the muta. If I did a Zerg air attack force, I would always go with guardians with groups of scourges to back them up. That almost always worked except, scourges were so brainless and if their target was killed before they reached it, they needed 1-2seconds(which in a battle is a LONG TIME) to think before choosing a new target on their own.
    If the scourge does return, it had better have smarter AI.

13. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Lol how could you not like the Muta, its one if not thee favourite Zerg units for me.

One thing I hated with Scourge is they need too much micro to be used to their best ability. Cuz if you selected 10 of them and Targeted one BC, most of them would die on contact even tho it only takes a few.

14. TheOneInPower

TheOneInPower New Member

Yeah, I know, I'm weird. I just never found the muta to be, strength-wise, worth it's weight in gas(which I always had trouble getting enough of). I would rather make it a guardian for some serious bombardment.
    I know this is off topic, but what do you think of the look of the Muta in SC2, Zergalicious?
    Back on topic, I know what you mean about the scourges needlessly getting killed for one Battle Crusier. I would like to think that they could kind-of govern themselves when sent into battle, if they do in fact come back to SC2.

15. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Muta in Sc isn't that bad, could do with being a little bit sleeker and its green BOUNCING?"?!11 acid attack annoys me greatly. Since when does acid bounce like a pinball.
    If they did come back in Sc2 I'm sure that wouldn't be a proble. But maybe Blizzard intended on doing that cuz they are amazingly cheap and do 500 damage. Highly spammable.

16. TheOneInPower

TheOneInPower New Member

Plus, it doesn't look quite like acid to me. Looks more like a ball with 3 blades and produces a green cloud on impact. I always did like the flapping animation and when it moved, it flapped faster. I'm sure you could do better with todays physics generators, but still very cool.

At least the scourges don't blow each other up accidentally like the infested terrans do. I guess their brains were infested too! Do scourges really do 500 damage? I thought it was lower, like 110 or something close to that... I never was very observant.

17. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Oh sorry if it was 500 it would kill a BC in one hit. I think its 125. My bad.

18. TheOneInPower

TheOneInPower New Member

No problem. I just thought I was losing my mind! Ha ha.

19. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    TOIP is right, it's 110 damage.

20. TheOneInPower

TheOneInPower New Member

Wow, I'm right for once. Thanks Gasmaskguy, you renewed my self respect.