1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zerg Hydralisk stab or spit?

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Code X Red, Jun 19, 2007.

?

Should the hydralisk get a melee animation

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Zerg Hydralisk stab or spit?

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Code X Red, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    I'd love to see a pair of Hydralisks in the middle of some Marines cleaving them in half.

2. L0ck and L04d

L0ck and L04d New Member

Let me be the first to say that I think this post is a falliur because we havent learned a thing and where at page 6

3. FlyingTiger

FlyingTiger New Member

CT
    eh its just speculation. no need to learn anything here ^_^

4. AvantGuardian

AvantGuardian New Member

Non-sequitur. The blades on a Hydralisk are something like three feet long, and surely would do more damage than a spine.

5. Star-Crap

Star-Crap Guest

Heres my 2 cents...

If they do make them stab close by enemies it should take more damage than the acid (Id rather get acid in my face than one of those 3 ft sythes)

But i think this whole melee attack is pretty stupid if it would do the same damage as spiting.

leave as is

6. paragon

paragon Guest

I think this is another line between realism and fun - fun wins. Making it realistic (two different attacks with different damage) would change their effectiveness and use and the use and effectiveness of other units and not in a good way and so fun wins out

7. marinepower

marinepower New Member

Fairfax
    What if hydras always did 10 damage, but it just depended on how close the attacking unit was to them. If it was a zealot they would claw it, doing 10 damage, but if they were farther away they would use spines 10/2= 5 damage. Equals out in the end since they are a lot more vulnurable at close range.

Bat:Marines, move aside, this is a man's job.
    Marines: yeah, be our guest (snicker snicker).
    Bat: Shit! When did hydras learn to use those giant scythes attached to their arms!?!?! (bat stims and runs away ;D)

8. Darktemplar_L

Darktemplar_L New Member

Bay Area
    I think, that if a melee unit or if any ground unit gets close enough to the hydralisk, then the hydralisk can slash them with more damage then spines. Then if its far away then they can spit.

9. opm

opm New Member

NYC
    i think it is inevitable that the hydralisk needs to upgrade to compete with the other races. It has to be both in my opinion. I have to just accept the fact that SC2 will just have a myriad of different units, that will only slightly resemble what I'm used to.

10. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    I don't understand why everyone assumes anything having to do with the Hydralisk is acidic. I swear, you guys must go around avoiding grass and bottles of Mt.Dew for fear of having parts of your body burned off. Yes, they're green, but there's nowhere in the game that states that they're acidic. Anyway, the worst acids are clear....

I think giving the Hydralisk a melee attack can be justified by the fact that it fires its spines from its upper carapace plates: it can't angle the plates downwards, so it can't nail units that are right on top of it: that's where the claws would come in. I wouldn't just make it a different animation fr the same attack though; I'd make it slower but stronger, perhaps dealing equal or less damage to the spine attack over time.

11. Star-Crap

Star-Crap Guest

Does it really matter?

Hydras Spit. They work better that way.

teh end

12. privateparts

privateparts New Member

Does anyone know for sure if the Hydralisk is even going to feature in SC2? And if it is can you link me to where this has been mentioned?

13. Star-Crap

Star-Crap Guest

the main site. they show a concept picture of one.

14. JudicatorPrime

JudicatorPrime New Member

What is it if not acidic?

Btw... It's claws are for burrowing?

15. Playboy

Playboy Guest

Taken from the Starcraft adventure game with Alternity rules (as official as it can be).

Attacks:..................A...................G................O
    Claws...............1-3, d4+2w.....4-6, d4+1w...7-12, d4w
    Needle Spines....1-2, 2d6+3w...3-5, d6+3w..6-11, d6+1w

Example. If the dice result of an attack roll (d20) is 5, the needle spines do d6+3 wound damage.

Text: The bloodthirsty Hydralisk tends to fight from a distance, launching wave after wave of spines from its upper carapace. The spindly, snake-like creatures house hundreds of armor piercing spines within their carapace plates.

And yes I would like to see both melee and ranged attacks for Hydras and Marines. It would be hard to implement it though (unless its just a cosmetic change).

16. qOcOp

qOcOp New Member

Yes they should claw when something is close. it looks stupid when something is right in front of them and they are spitting. it should just be an animation change though, nothing else.

17. L0ck and L04d

L0ck and L04d New Member

you know I posted some thing like this like 5 sections ago and every body l liked it, but then some body said it was stupid and then every body joins his sideand were back to scare one, thats the magic of capitalisim, mob therapy, and the joy of democracy.

18. JudicatorPrime

JudicatorPrime New Member

Marines should learn to bash with their shields when enemies get to close, making the shield upgrade usefull and not just a health boost.

It'd be nice if the Hydra's stabby clawy thing was more passive and only when enemies get too close if they ever implemented it, otherwise I'd just switch them to melee combat and attack... And then it'd make that scene with the Zealot vs. Hydra make sense

19. Deadpool

Deadpool New Member

if u ask me on the hydralisk there should be a button well 2 buttons if u click 1 its 4 melle and the other is for spit so if i click the melle button itd only melle untill i change its attack to spit although i think even if its on melle mode if i command it to attack a flier it should still be able to do that whithout me havin to change it(i apollowgise for my bad spelling)but i dont think the zerg need another melle class

20. timedragon888

timedragon888 New Member

I think the change should be auto (as in when the enemy is far away the hydra will spit while when the enemy approaches the hydra will slash with its claws). But the melee attack should be stronger because i mean, ranged attack has an advantage over melee attacks because the ranged attacker gets to shoot a few times before the melee attacker can run over to it and start attacking, so since melee is at a disadvantage, they should make the damage stronger.