1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zerg Hydralisk stab or spit?

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Code X Red, Jun 19, 2007.

?

Should the hydralisk get a melee animation

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Zerg Hydralisk stab or spit?

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Code X Red, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Tankman131

Tankman131 Guest

the hydra has the claws, why not use them? the ultralisk should also have a stomping animation

2. Laz

Laz New Member

No an ultrulisk stomping motion would be pointless because its a melee attacker anyway. And a hydralisks claws are used for stabbing. Its been done countless times if you watch the vidoes and read the books. You guys are making to big a deal of this. Instead if telling me it makes no sense (because it makes perfect sense) . Can someone give me a real reason why it shouldnt be done?

3. Tankman131

Tankman131 Guest

it may be more difficult to programm the different animations for different ranges

4. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    It would not be difficult to program, but it would get confusing.
    You always remember the distinct attack sounds of all units, but if units have totally different ones, like spitting and stabbing, you'll just get confused.

5. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    You contridicted your self there. Since the Ultralisk is a melee attacker anyway giving it a stomping animation is stupid. So since the Hydralisk is a range attacker giving it a melee attack is stupid.
    Heres your quick explaination.
    Lore wise a Hydralisk hitting tough steel and stuff all the time is out of the question. Imagine if it broke a claw. Its movement would be restricted, digging would be harder, etc.
    Also shooting it's spikes wouls use less energy meaning more energy for other things.

Gameplay wise I think it would look dumb if a Zealot charged you and the Hydralisk started stabbing a shield, you can't stab if it doesn't penetrate meaning the melee attack would be useless whereas launching spikes will constantly weaken it and stabbing would apply the wrong force. Also don't say slashing cuz the claws are not designed for slashing hard materials.

6. biglittlezergling

biglittlezergling New Member

thank you zergalicious for a good explanation.

i still think it would be cool for a hydra to have a melee attack.
    also what you say about the shield is pretty dumb because all the melee units that attack protoss in melee attack a shield and they don't care.
    so i don't think that a hydra would mind using it's claws

7. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Ever seen Zerglings attack a Zealot? They stab with claws, and yet they're able to get past their shields. And they do, stab, not slash, as you so kindly pointed out.

8. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    They are fast, extremely massable and strong pound for pound; justlike ants. Plus don't they have claws on their front legs as well as those blades on its backs. They also have spikes on their jaws not to mention a nice set of teeth.

9. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    The only weapons the Zerglings used were the claws on its back. And hydralisks also have spikes on their jaws as well as a nice set of teeth. Zerglings were fast, but so were Hydralisks, if you look at the cinematics.

10. Laz

Laz New Member

zergalicious i did not contradict myself with the ultras stomping motion. It would not work because what would set off the ultra using its claws and what would make it use its stomp? We have a reason for why hydras would use there claws. I dont think the sound of the attack would get confusing. You would know that the sounds coming from the claws just like any other attack. Plus i dont find out what units there are by the sound they make. I got eyes for that.

11. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    [img width=408 height=491]http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd63/Alasdair22/57493.jpg[/img]

Those claws are clearly for slicing (notice the blade gets very thin at the end half) and stabbing making it more effective at melee than a Hydralisk which is a ranged unit anyway.
    But since the Hydralisk should get another attack, should the Zergling bite, thrust, stab, slice, jump on enemy units?
    Shouldn't the Ultralisk, stomp, bite, headbut, tackle enemy units?
    Also lets give the Drone a melee attack since it has claws too.

Edit: @ Laz, what does sound have to do with anything. .-.

12. Laz

Laz New Member

I wasn't talking to you about the sound. Someone at the top put the the sound would get confusing. And you still dont get the point. I'm beginning to think your just to stubborn to understand what were saying. Things like lings dont need another attack because they are melee and only melee. There is no other thing for them to do. Were not talking about giving all the units combos. I dont think this will ever get through your head. You really need to stop and think over all of this.

13. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    I know exactly what you are saying. ''The Hydralisk has big claws so why not let it use them in game''
    But at the end of the day the Hydralisk is also range and only range just like the Zergling is melee. There is no gain by giving it a melee attack.
    Its all opinion here, as I say lore wise, physics wise, and everything else wise I'd rather shoot pressurized acid spikes in your face instead of stabbing as it would be more effective.

It is the reason certain snakes spit instead of bite when they feel threatened. So if nature has already backed my point up how could you continue to say the Hydralisk SHOULD get a melee attack if the range is more effective far or close.

14. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    [img width=500 height=545]http://www.freakygaming.com/gallery/game_art/starcraft_2/hydralisk.jpg[/img]

Look at all those claws on the hydra. It has blades on its arms, tails, and basically everywhere else. Yes, the hydra is range and zergling is melee, but hydras could engage their targets anywhere from their maximum firing distance to melee distance. So it's not at all the same. Anyways, like you said, this is all opinion. All I'm saying is there's no harm done by adding a melee animation when it gets in melee range. And hydras don't spit, they open up their back s to launch their spines at you. For all we know that could take even more energy than using claws. What I fail to understand is why you hate giving a unit an animation that won't affect gameplay at all.

This topic is a waste of time anyways.

15. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    You're right. It is a waste of time.

16. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    How about this simple factoid we can all agree its just a matter of taste and opinion as long as no stats are changed correct? Well look at the poll I would say more people like the idea than not.

But since people love facts lore or otherwise, here is what we know. The Hydralisk has used its claws in a number of Blizzard cinematics to kill its foes. So we know it can despite the fact that poeple believe they can't for whatever reason. We also no there will be no gameplay effect unless Blizzard thinks it is neseccary so there is no reason to worry about gameplay. Finally, it seems you guys are only looking at the basic game and not anything else, which is moronic at its best. We have to remember why WC3 has lasted so long and one of the reasons SC has, the UMS games. Giving units more attack animations gives map makers more options when they are building a unit, and these options help with more unique maps to be created. And the first units Blizzard should focus on giving new attack animations are the units that look like they could attack something different ways in melee vs. range, and the Hydralisk is right at the top of that list.

17. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Wouldn't the Hydralisk give chase if it started using melee then the enemy unit ran away. That would be a great hinder. Also it may get confusing script wise as you're giving it lots of instrctuctions based on attacking with range and stuff.

18. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    Blizzard already implemented something like this in WC3 except the attacks could each do different damages at different rates. So something like this would make the Hydra highly customizable from a Map Creator perspective while it wouldn't affect normal gameplay at all because Blizzard could just make the attacks do exactly the same damage at the same rates but the claws would only be used in melee. I just don't see the down side unless you argue from a lore perspective but if you do then you have to acknowledge the fact the Hydra used a melee attack in some cinematics.

19. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Only to kill Marines.

Personally I think it would look extremely stupid if a Hydralisk started stabbing a big unit like a Thor or even a building. Against small units I wouldn't mind as it would work with the Marines death animation were they get sliced in 2.

20. Laz

Laz New Member

I dont think it would stupid at all. Plus thors and buildings dont move that fast so hydras wouldnt get near then much.