1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zerg Hydralisk stab or spit?

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Code X Red, Jun 19, 2007.

?

Should the hydralisk get a melee animation

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Zerg Hydralisk stab or spit?

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Code X Red, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    The hydralisk does not spit acid but launches spines. :)

2. motto

motto New Member

no stick with the green spit

3. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Which were spines

4. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    yes...they spit very sharp spines...kinda like ninjas when they throw a dozen of pins..yeah kinda like that..

hydras use there scythe for burrowing...and in sc2, possible climbing up cliffs (maybe a tier 3 upgrade). just image 150 hydras climbing up the side of your base...O_O ..................LOL MAN!

5. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    The spines were like coated in the acid? Cuz if it was just spines, the attack animation wouldn't look as if it was a liquid and would actually look like spines.

6. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    well..coated in their "green saliva"...right? or mucus..

7. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Hmm it seems they might not have an acid attack, I wonder why everyone thought it was acid spines, as acid seems to fit them well.

8. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    Like you they were probably thinking of the attack animation.

Personally I think it would be cool if they had 2 seperate attacks one for ranged and one for melee but thats just me.

9. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    And a bit more than half of the people like the votes show :)

10. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    It would look cool indeed. But as you can see their spitting attack would be a lot more effective than slashing.

11. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    Thats nor nesscarily true because the spines will obviously move quite a bit faster they don't have nearly as much mass as the claws. Take a gun vs. a decently sharpened blade as an example the bullet (depending on where the person was shot) will go straight through cause some interanl bleeding as well as the bleeding from the entrance and exit wounds. While the blade (and when I say blade I am thinking like a sword because bullet vs. sworrd is alot more like claw vs. spine for the hydra), depending with the force it was swung with leave a much larger gash in and in general affect more surface area even and thus a major arttery even though it probably won't break as many bones and may have a harder time with armor.

So while the spines may have a much greater range, given that most Zerg are very physically powerful its pretty easy for me to believe that a Hyrdalisk's claw is more damaging in melee range than the spines.

12. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Your argument isn't very valid. Comparing a gun and sword does not relate to the Hydralisk what-so-ever.

These spines it shoots are compressed and launched at great power as it says they can pierce neo steel which is probably stronger than titainium. And being able to go through this very strong metal means the attack is a lot more powerful than slashing. As no creature that size could slash through metal of this type.
    Also looking at the shape of their claws, ripping or slashing thick armor isn't possible as they'd break due to physics, they would only be good for piercing, and to pierce strong metal with your own strength you have to be extremely powerful which I doubt a Hydralisk could do.
    Blizzard says it them selfs. And obviously if their primary weapon is to spit spines, its obvioulsy stronger and more effective than stabbing since they don't stab in the description.

Also a shot gun is more damaging than a hand gun as its stronger and fires a spread which increases the kill %. I see where you are saying the claw could do more damage as it may be a more precise application of power, but its kinda obvious to see getting shot in the neck by a shot gun would be more damaging than getting claws in it.

I'm tired so my post and points might not be structured/written correctly so bare with me

13. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    Actually its very valid comparison a spine is very similar to a bullet both are small projectiles designed to pierce their targets and the claws are like sword in that they are both long blade like objects, it doesn't need to be a perfect comparison the masses are similar and the uses are similar which was my goal.

Also remember those spines are compressed by some biological action within the Hydralisk whats stopping us from saying Hydralisks cant do that with their claws? (Other than the fact we say they don't) There really is nothing because we know nothing about Hydralisks besides what Blizzard has shown us. So assuming an equivalent amount of force is applied in both scenarios but the claw is used in a downward fashion the claw would create more pressure and thus be more likely to pierce neo steel than the spines which we already know can, and since a humans head dominates the upper porition of our bodies it means the Hydralisk would be far more likely to make a killing blow with a downward strike with its claws instead of launching spines in melee range.

14. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    This argument will go nowhere as its pretty much opinions. How about we ask Blizzard?

15. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    Very true, hey Kaurne when you get a minute you mind asking the blizzard lore team about this? (we know you are watching us....:p)

Here is one thing I do know Blizzard originally intended for Hydralisks to be melee, if I am remembering correctly I read that they were that way in the beta, even if my memory is failing just look at some of then cinematics that involve you will never seem them launching spines but instead killing marine with there claws.

Of course most of that is irrelevant because the cinematics were off in way more ways than one, but still whether or not a Hydralisk can fight better in melee is irrelevant because it is completely dependent on whether or not the community wants them to be that way.

16. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    One thing to note though is also the fact that the zerglings look different in the cinematics and are occasionally mistaken for hydras as well.  Most of the hydras that are seen are in confined spaces

17. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    In the sc1 cinematics I never actually recalled a Zergling killing a Terran, Hydralisks always did it. And there seemd to be 3 variations of Hydralisk. There was a skinny Hydralisk looking unit with legs, there was the actual Hydralisk, then there was a bulky bad ass looking Hydralisk with legs also.

Also if you want melee you have Zerglings and Ultralisks which would be more effective :D

18. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    The ones with the legs are zerglings

19. Laz

Laz New Member

hydras do shoot acid along with there spines. its in the books. as do the hydras use there claws to attack. they are extremely powerful can cut through armor with ease. even in the movie at the beginning of brood war do you see a hydra jump on a marine and start clawing him right before it gets roasted by a firebat. as for the animation, i think it would be cool to have it. just make it attack at the same speed as the spines with the same damage and automatically happen when enemy units are right by them like zealots.

20. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    -Sigh- Ok, so lets give every single unit in the game another animation for attacking. And Laz, a Marines armor isn't that tough, lets see a Hydralisk slash through a Siege Tank... I don't see the point of haning it slash when we have Zerglings and Ultralisks which are much better at melee than Hydralisks as they are specialized upon it. The Hydralisk is already a versatile unit we don't need the Zerg units to have all these secondaries as the Zerg in it's self is a pretty basic race.

Also this will ruin UMS games such as a defense map and you are using Hydralisks to make a maze while destroying the enemy units without letting them escape. What will happen if they have a melee attack? They will not shoot at the units which are about to escape from their range meaning failure, all becuase they are trying to slash instead.

Also if every aspect from the movies was put into gameplay I think the game it's self would be very very different.