1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zerg dragoon like unit?

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Aurora, Oct 12, 2007.

?

Should blizzard do something with the infested Dragoon shrine?

1. Yes, they should create some units for the Zerg with this.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, the should revive important killed characters, like Daggoth.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, they shouldn't do anything with it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Zerg dragoon like unit?

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Aurora, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    You don't have to be injured to be put into a dragoon. :p It's only what they are mainly used for.
    And why wouldn't they be able to infest tech? They would just grow a sort of nervous system over the chips to guide the instruction of the computer, wich would just become some sort of brain. Then they would have some sort of bio armor over them instead of the normal plating. Makes sense to me, you just got to have some imagination for this stuff. ;)

And this could be done in some sort of crysallis, like the way kerrigan was infested. Or like BirofPrey said, that's even better in some ways.

@ItzaHexGor
    Do you mean they would be in the expansion of Starcraft 2 like the Dark Templar in Brood Wars?

2. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

i just hope they created a really big map which includes an infested aiur

3. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Why would they use the infested Templar ion a goon? We don't know if th Zerg can regrow limbs and the dragoon has shielding. Why not use what is there. Kerrigan isn't stupid you know, and a former Terran she would respect making the most of EVERYTHING you can find. Free guns

4. Ensomgrav

Ensomgrav New Member

it just sounds goofy. I can see a shielded infested protoss unit, just not in a dragoon .. its stretching it.

5. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    @ Gasmaskguy. Not all units will necessarily be created in the Hatchery/Lair/Hive. Drones might now be able to create some psychic building that would be able to warp them in from the Infested Shrine, like how the Protoss warped stuff in in StarCraft1 and BroodWar. If they are implemented (which I doubt, and hope, they won't be) then they will obviously be able to be used in skirmishes. Skirmishes don't have to make 100% sense and fit the storyline perfectly, they pretty much just use the units from the campaign in a Free-For-All style game.

@ BirdofPrey. The Zerg do not have to injure the Infested Zealot so that it can become an Infested Dragoon... Why can't they just put a normal Infested Zealot into the Dragoon to make it an Infested Dragoon?

@ Ensomgrav. Believe it or not, there might be more effective ways of engaging in long ranged attack than just spitting spines or whatever. The energy balls that the Dragoons fire would probably be much more powerful against Machines than spines would ever be. Just because the Zerg already have a long ranged attack style, does not mean that they are limited to that style.

@ Fo®Saken, I don't mean that the Infested Dragoons (if implemented) would be in the Zerg team in the StarCraft2 expansion, I mean that they would be in the Zerg team for StarCraft2. In the storyline of StarCraft1 and BroodWar, the Dark Templar were found by the Protoss and they allied, the only reason they were in the expansion was because that was the most appropriate time to implement them. With the Infested Dragoon, now is the best time to implement them because it makes sense that immediately after invading Aiur, they would be able to make these new units. It wouldn't make sense if they waited a few more years before they infested them, so that they would be introduced in the StarCraft2 expansion, unless there is some story twist were they say something along the lines of "The Zerg were not able to immediately infest these Dragoons, because they had to wait before their Creep could mutate the metal into living flesh" or something. At the moment, there is no reason for them to wait until the expansion to introduce them.

@ ijffdrie, I'm positive that in the Map Editor there will be an option to have an Infested Aiur style terrain. Just like how there was Char-style and Shakuras-style terrains in StarCraft1 and BroodWar.

6. Ensomgrav

Ensomgrav New Member

ok.... but why bother putting a zealot in a dragoon if your zerg...it' would be equally as effective with a drone inside

7. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Because the Draggon was designed to be controled by a protoss.

@Itza I suggested injured trmplar because there wouldbe many of them at the shrine in various stages of being integrated and healing

8. Ensomgrav

Ensomgrav New Member

and its a drone, it can morph to do any thing kerrigan tells it to.

9. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    They would still have to infest a few protoss warriors first to get the genetic code

10. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I thought that the Dragoon was just a life support system for crippled Protoss warriors, with a massive cannon mounted on its back. I'm not 100% positive about this, but I thought that crippled warriors could just be mounted into a Dragoon. I don't think they needed any healing or integration.
    On another note, I have a problem with Infested Protoss, of any kind. I believe that the Protoss warriors would willingly commit seppuku (kill themselves honorably on their sword/blade) than allow themselves to be infested and start murdering their own kin. If they were not able to physically kill themselves, I'm sure that even Zealots (and especially Templar) would have the psychic capabilities to basically just shut down their body, to prevent infestation. However this would only work if the host needed to be alive for infestation, which is most likely true because otherwise the Zerg player would be able to get Infested Terran from Marine's corpses.

11. ekulio

ekulio New Member

first of all, dragoons are mechanical and how are they supposed to hatch from a larvae? Second, zerglings, or any zerg unit for that matter, don't have the psionic power of a protoss and therefore wouldn't be able to operate the dragoon or fire the cannon. Third, the hydralisk already fills the role of the dragoon just fine.

12. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    They would not hatch from Larvae!!! They would be infested. Meaning that they already exist, and are then taken over by the Zerg Queen or whatever. It is obvious that they would not be hatched from Larvae, just like the Infested Terran of StarCraft1 and Broodwar were not hatched from Larvae. As we know from the story, there are a limited amount of Dragoons left, and the ones controlled by the Protoss have been upgraded to a Tank-like Immortal. So, because there is a limited amount left and no new ones are being produced, how would they be able to be hatched? They would just be taken over by a parasitic Zerg creature or organism that takes direct control over the crippled/dying Zealot/Templar inside, or replace the Zealot/Templar inside.
    There is no proof that Zerg units don't have psychic powers, they could have been dormant for StarCraft1/Broodwar (not that they actually need psychic powers to operate a Dragoon). Also, just because it is a Dragoon that is infested, it doesn't mean that it would serve as a Dragoon for the Swarm. Infested Marines(or civilians or whatever) from StarCraft1 serve as a human explosive before they were Infested, so why would the Infested Dragoon have the same use as before it was Infested?

13. ekulio

ekulio New Member

Well...I can only see that being a possibility if we have infested protoss as part of the zerg army as well.
    I really just don't see the need for this unit.

14. Ensomgrav

Ensomgrav New Member

are we sure dragoons are controlled by psionics? i think its all hard-wiring

15. ekulio

ekulio New Member

Hard wiring into their brains, I think. good luck to the zerg trying to figure that one out. Also, I'm pretty dead certain the glowing blue balls they shoot are psionic.

16. Larvitar

Larvitar New Member

No it's antimatter....If I'm not wrong...

EDIT: refer to post below....

If the drone could do that I dread what it could do to infested command centres. Send a distress signal to infect more Terrans?

17. Ensomgrav

Ensomgrav New Member

yea, so dragoon equals all hardwiring and antimatter turrets. just as i thought. a drone should be able to hook its self up in one of those

18. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    When thinking about it, I feel that if the Zerg got a new Dragoon-like unit, being the Infested Dragoon, then it would only use the mechanical parts of the original Dragoon as protection (i.e. use the Dragoon's armor as its own), because it would not be able to use the Dragoon's mechanics or technology. This would mean that it cannot fire the cannon, cannot operate the life-support system, and the only benefit it would get is from the metal armor of the original Dragoon. So, it would have to develop a new way of attacking, which could be either melee or ranged as infesting the Dragoon would not effect what type of attack it has. However! As we know, the Zerg have an incredibly strong carapace. Their carapace is of roughly the same strength as the Terran's and Protoss' armor. So if (I say 'if' because this did not happen to the Infested Terran of StarCraft1 and BroodWar) this unit could have the Protoss' armor on top of having the already strong Zerg carapace, then it would have twice the armor of any other unit in the game. It would be the Zerg's tanking unit.
    I tried to logic the whole thing out, and this seemed like the most logical thing that would happen if the Zerg were to Infest the abandoned Dragoons in the shrine on Aiur.

19. Larvitar

Larvitar New Member

I suppose the infestation would only be in-game wise, otherwise where are your dragoon exoskeletons going to come from? You can't have some stupid story about Zerg bringing in dragoon shells to infest and brought to the battlefield to fight...can you?

20. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Maybe they hijacked the Aiur warp systems