zerg cliff climbers

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by burkid, Jul 18, 2007.

zerg cliff climbers

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by burkid, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Eye_Carumba

Eye_Carumba New Member

Precisely, but the new moving Phase cannons should be just enough for that as well. And the Terran base is quite mobile too. In case need arises, it shouldn't be hard to lower your bunkers and liftoff your buildings to allow your defensive units to reach the threat. Zerglings coming out of nowhere is necessary to make them the threat they promise to be!

2. MyWifeforauir

MyWifeforauir New Member

i have a feeling that zerglings won't go over walls but will be able to fly/glide some distance of water/crevasse/pit..ect So siutable for island maps. Maybe imba though....
    Ultralisk go up a hill.. i just had this amusing thought of an ultralist climbing up falling back on its back and thrashing around like a beetle overturned :p

3. opm

opm New Member

NYC
    you know these comments about zerg units are getting annoying. everything zerg does somehow would create such a massive disadvantage that the other two races would not be able to deal with it. that's absolute rubbish. the other two races have been given so much already that you need to start giving the zerg some more liberal units and abilities that could (if not balanced properly) be unfair. that's a risk you have to take and assume that you can fix it later. Still you have to face the facts:

1. both of the current races have two types of drop abilities now in the form of drop ships and either the ghost marine drop pod thing, or the phase prism gate warp.
    2. both current races are able to freely scale terrain

this leads to the obvious conclusion that the OP made, which is to keep a fair balance you'll have to create some mass unit that is able to scale, and you'll have to have something like a nydus worm that can backdoor people. What's unfortunate is that zerg had the drop advantage in the last game and is known for its ambush abilities. It seems like it will be a far more fair playing ground this time around when it comes to drop abilities and the like.

Now that is something to worry about as far as disadvantages

The easy resolution is creating a terrain scaling unit and a nydus worm that isn't hampered by creep. Maybe i'm biased as a zerg player, but considering how much weaker zerg units are, the advantages have to come from somewhere.

4. Eye_Carumba

Eye_Carumba New Member

It's not biased. Nidus worm was necessary to be created, as the Nydus canal was too restricted. And Nydus worm is still very behind the swift Phase prism, in example. It beats Drop pods, as DPs can only bring in marines, and I suppose the Nydus worm can bring in all types of Zerg units. But still, as of Starcraft 1, they were the ones with lesser defense breaking capabilities. A mobility method was very much needed to enable them to cross to everywhere on the map.

But since the marines found the drop pod, and Zealots found the teleportation, perhaps the Zerglings won't be made able to overcome obstacles either. I think basic units will have to rely on late game transport methods like these mentioned. the units to cross obstacles will probably be new ones, as I haven't seen any old units getting this kind of novelty.

5. opm

opm New Member

NYC

i agree with you 100%. thanks for hitting us up with a little logic. i don't think we should underestimate how important agility is to zerg because mass just won't be enough when you're facing psi storms, colossi, banshee rockets, battle cruisers with torpedos, or mother ships. their skill has always been surprise attacks, and diverting the attention while finding a weak spot to focus the mass. their units are generally so much weaker that mass isn't the advantage that needs to highlighted. it's their mobility and agility in atttack imo.

6. opm

opm New Member

NYC
    how about a cicada or locust unit that can jump from one level to another. probably doesn't do much damage, but is incredibly mobile. it's ability is.....

hard outer shell, able to withstand significant damage from melee, and small arms fire and able to handle laser type attack rather well, but weak against "big shell ammunition." it is able to "fly" but only short distances before it needs to land. essentially it has a cool down. not sure what attack power you want to give it. maybe a consume of small units...??? it is weak at attacking large units, because it can only use it's hydralisk-like arms.

7. slugonice

slugonice New Member

The new ZERGLINGs have mini-wings

they can semi-fly (JUMP) on the cliffs

a ZERG UPGRADE maybe

8. opm

opm New Member

NYC
    sounds about right, but i was thinking of creating another unit with something similar. A locust or cicada type unit. maybe has a consume onn any organic units, is quick, agile, and good defense against melee, lasers, and small arms fire, but owned by heavy fire. let's say it has a weak melee ability also.

9. MyWifeforauir

MyWifeforauir New Member

dunno if the zergling wings have enough power to make the zergling fly up the cliff... I think as i mentioned earlier glide over some areas of water/pit/space and also an ability to glide down from the cliffs to the ground but however will not be able to go up again. The gliding over areas may be balanced in a way that 1. its a skill that happens automatically and only glides if the unaccesable areas is short enough, or 2.Glide whenever you want to however if the glide skills runs out (basically the zergling gets tired) while the zergling is over space/water/pit then the zergling dies

10. opm

opm New Member

NYC
    yeah i was thinking of a new unit as opposed to zerglings. i'm pretty happy with their current functionality. i like the gliding over a short area with a cool down