1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zealot Movement

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Imagine., Jul 1, 2007.

Zealot Movement

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Imagine., Jul 1, 2007.

1. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Concussive damage actually, but anyway, vultures rock.

Back on topic, I think having charge over leg enhancements would actually work better for Toss in most cases other than delayed zealot rushing or helping allies in early-game in emergency situations.  Having your lots march at speeds similar to your other ground units while being able to get a greater burst of speed to engage the frontline in any confrontation would serve Toss players better in most cases.

2. Imagine.

Imagine. New Member

Yeah, this is exactly what I am looking forward to. Zealots are supposed to spearhead any Protoss assault anyway.

3. paragon

paragon Guest

Another thing with the leg enhancements is that if they use a formation system similar to that of warcraft 3 then all units selected will move at the speed of the slowest unit.

4. Ghost

Ghost New Member

Immortals do that now.

5. paragon

paragon Guest

so the spearhead of the protoss assault is good against the unit in the back of the terran assault and bad vs the rest of them. How then will this so called "immortal" lumber on past the entire terran army just to kill the siege tanks while every terran unit is attack them and most likely, cutting them to ribbons.

6. burkid

burkid New Member

the point of the immortal it to get hit by the tanks so the rest of the army doesnt get crippled while running to engage.

7. paragon

paragon Guest

let me draw a diagram for you
    C = colossus
    Z = zealot
    I = immortal
    M = marine
    R = reaper
    G = goliath
    S = siege tank

C..Z.Z......I...................M.R.G.S
    ....Z.Z......I...................M.R.....S
    .C.Z.Z......I...................M.R.G.S
    .C.Z.Z......I...................M.R.G.S
    ....Z.Z......I...................M.R.....S
    C..Z.Z......I...................M.R.G.S
    marines, reapers, and goliaths move up and hit immortals. immortals die, marines, reapers, and goliaths move back then one of two things occurs
    A) Protoss assault and get killled
    B) Siege tanks move up with the rest of the units guarding them and pound the protoss.

8. burkid

burkid New Member

the zealots should be closer to the immortals, so by the time the immortals die the zealots are in charging range, causing the tanks to shell their own units.

9. paragon

paragon Guest

immortals still die, and the zealots, and everything else protoss.

10. burkid

burkid New Member

or, immortals still die, zealots charge the infantry, colossi clean up the tanks and goliaths

11. paragon

paragon Guest

the zealots will be dead for shore. The immortals too. Marines and reapers could even go with the zealots. But the colossi would not be able to take out the tanks and Goliaths. Remember, colossi take damage as air units too so goliaths would be using their missiles which are killer. And the colossi first have to get into range and then get close enough to fire. Being blasted by tanks once they get in range and being blasted by goliaths the entire way.

12. burkid

burkid New Member

oh, i forgot bout the goliaths missiles... it would probably come down to the tanks and 1 or 2 goliaths

13. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Under situations where there is no extensive micro on either side, immortals will do their job fine. But once immortals and zealots are within the siege tanks' attack range, you can still micro the tanks to aim at the zealots after the first shot.

I seriously doubt the immortals will be anywhere near as effective as in the demo in real games. "Oh, I can't kill immortals with siege tank fire but let's target them anyway. And let's back off the marines around my tank while I'm at it." Right...

But a well coordinated assault on the Toss's part should still make immortals effective at their supportive role. It will all come down to micro.

14. paragon

paragon Guest

Yes but like you said, anyone sort of micro would lead to them not targeting the immortals with the tanks. Thus as a support unit, stalkers would be much better and much more effective.

15. Patuljak

Patuljak New Member

Slovenia
    The immortals serve even if they don't target them. If they don't target them, they survive and can dish out damage. On the other hand, if you use stalkers instead of them, they won't survive vs siege tanks for long enough to kill even two or three. Do you see what I mean?

16. paragon

paragon Guest

I said you don't target them with tanks. But your reapers and marines and goliaths would each them up.

17. burkid

burkid New Member

a staker blink behind the tanks would probably be the best thing for the toss in that situation.

18. paragon

paragon Guest

exactly. that is why stalkers > immortals.

19. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    I believe the immortals can still be effective with careful coordination on the Toss's part.

Place immortals at the front, zealots close behind, and colossi right behind lots, then proceed that way.  You send a few immortals in to draw the first round of siege tank fire, but you move in your lots and colossi and anything else you have immediately after.  Even by the time that all of the Protoss units reach melee attack range(or their respective attack ranges), no tank in siege mode would have fired a second shot yet.

If the Toss player microed at least moderately well, and the Terran microed tanks to attack away from immortals after the first shots, then the second round of fire on zealots would be splashing on marines and reapers.  Like I said, it'll most likely come down to micro.

The immortals would have effectively soaked the first round of siege tank fire, and got the rest of the units to close in on the Terran force.  Whether the immortals die to small arms fire after that doesn't really matter.  Although with 100 shield and 240 HP, that's still a lot of life to eat through.  And I'm assuming they'll come with a base armor of at least 1.

They won't be crazy good like how the demo is making some people believe, but they definitely won't be useless either.

20. burkid

burkid New Member

^thats what i was trying to say initially!