1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wow Mothership overhaul.

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by JudicatorPrime, Aug 3, 2007.

Wow Mothership overhaul.

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by JudicatorPrime, Aug 3, 2007.

1. burkid

burkid New Member

no. just from what weve seen. and if you watch the terran demo, he takes the extra move to get a barracks out of the way of where a factory is gonna go. so it seems likely.

2. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    My opinion is that air units in SC2 generally do not stack, or that it works similar to my air stack by size idea way way back. I can't remember anymore but did air units stack and overlap in War3?

Protoss is turning into a rehashed SC1 Protoss. They're killing all the ingenuity one by one that went into the designing the Protoss that we saw early on around initial announcement.

3. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

In War3 they didn't cause of the formations. From what I've seen, mostly from Stalkers, and Siege tanks....It seems only the Protoss have formations as of yet.

4. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Why would formations have anything to do with stacking?  Formation is optional, and it really wasn't true formation, it was only selective movement speed limiting.

Stacking is more in the realm of clipping, collision size, and the like.  The reason why I ask is War3 air units were also 3D, I was wondering what Blizzard decided on stacking back in War3.

5. burkid

burkid New Member

they would stack, as in go through eachother, but would promptly move apart, so they wouldnt necessarily 'stack', but they wouldnt need to go around eachother either.

(sorry if that was a bit confusing, im tired)

6. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    I think I kinda understand what you are saying, but I'm not sure if I'm completely clear on "promptly."

Even in SC2, stacked air units would gradually move apart. If you grabbed a group of air units in War and right clicked on a tree like mad, would they stack, or would they be "shoulder to shoulder?" If they stack that way, do they stay stacked when you immediately ordered them to move to another location as a group? Air units in SC would more or less stay stacked and resist spreading out while they were on the move, then once stationary they would spread out again.

7. burkid

burkid New Member

they would go on top of eachother, but then go to shoulder-to-shoulder pretty quickly.

8. Quanta

Quanta New Member

I am not happy with the change, I liked the idea of having one mothership along with a Tempest/Carrier fleet. I liiked the idea of a ultimate unit and thought it fit well with the protoss. I also thought such a unit would be nice to spice up a rather bland carrier fleet. This weaker MS doesn't seem to even be worth having along until you reached the enemy base or ran across their army. It only seems fair that the protoss get something to soften up the enemy forces the fleet comes across or give extra protection from the enemy forces the fleet comes across.

Sure black hole was overpowered but that could have been fixed. Just make it not suck in capital ships, just do damage to them, or any other way to nerf it. If they thought Time Bomb was overpowered well then they could have figured out a way to nerf that too or replace it with something else that is at the same time equally unique.

As for it losing AA I don't really care. If I built a single ultimate unit I wouldn't send it anywhere without an AA escourt even if it could attack air.

9. BoydofZINJ

BoydofZINJ New Member

So right now the mothership can delivery the ultimate ground attack but is very vulnerable. So if you are facing a zealot protoss enemy or a zergling only enemy and it be so late in the game you can win, other wise you might as well never buy the ship? And this is supose to be ultra expensive?

10. JudicatorPrime

JudicatorPrime New Member

I'd rather use Carriers... Like I said, it depends how it plays out but it seems the MS is useless. I wonder how they're going to go with the cost, being a mothership it must be pretty expensive, if it's more expensiveo r as expensive as the Warp Ray or Carrier, im going with those two... Of course none of this makes sense background wise but whatever.

11. GuiMontag

GuiMontag New Member

not sure if this has been posted but here are the descriptions for the 3 mothership abilities as of BLizzcon
    Cloak Field: Generates a field around the mothership that cloaks nearby structures and ground units. The mothership stops moving while the field is activated
    Time Bomb: Creates a distortion feild at a targeted area that lasts 8 seconds and reduces enemy unit attack and movement speed
    Planet Cracker: Scorch the ground beneath the mothership for 15 seconds. causing damage to enemy ground units below

12. burkid

burkid New Member

ah, so they kept time bomb. ive been hearing that it was gone.

13. GuiMontag

GuiMontag New Member

from the screenshots it looks like it is cast differently from the one we were showed at WW1, in the blizzcon screenshots it looks more like the psi storm/plague type casting.

14. burkid

burkid New Member

do attacks still stop?

15. GuiMontag

GuiMontag New Member

in the description it just says 'reduces enemy unit attacks'

16. JudicatorPrime

17. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    I look at that screenshot and all i can think is poor poor portoss player

18. JudicatorPrime

19. burkid

burkid New Member

yeah, i saw that. its insane how many MSs and Colossi and TAs they had.

20. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    If by clip you mean stack, then yes, air units stack in SC2. I think clipping is actually the opposite to stacking, that there is collision, but anyway.

You can see it happen in the campaign demo with BCs. Air units stack as long as they are active, moving, attacking, whatever. Once they stop and become stationary, they quickly spread to "shoulder-to-shoulder."