1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows or Mac

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by Aurora, Dec 22, 2007.

?

So, Windows or Mac? (Or something else?)

1. Windows

60.0%
  2. Mac

20.0%
  3. Something else.

20.0%

Windows or Mac

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by Aurora, Dec 22, 2007.

1. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Hey somone who finally understands.

Yes thats how they get ya. On the software. Of course if you can always try going with Linux though not everything runs on WINE

2. MarineCorp

MarineCorp New Member

England, United Kingdom
    Windows are cheaper and those virus are able to handle right now, we are all use to the viruses

3. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    When have you ever had to buy the OS separately? It's the same with Mac and Windows. It comes with the current version of windows for free (unless you're buying refurbished or something) along with an install disk. You then have to purchase any upgrades from then on.

But the happy story is that all Dell and HP install disks will work on any Dell or HP. And there's also piracy to be considered.

That goes for all software.

4. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    I think hes talking about a home built system

Also if you buy a premade system getting an OS other than three basic version generally costs extra

5. 33-Arsenic

33-Arsenic New Member

After much intensive research (meaning I went to a bunch of websites and crafted computer together that matched the 20" iMac with a 2.4Ghz processor) it turns out that Macs are cheaper than their PC equivalents. Of course building it yourself is always cheaper.

6. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    You are right. ;)

That is also true. I really want to have windows vista ultimate when I buy a new pc, but you have to pay extra for that. That's why I am making a home build system. That's cheaper, and I can have Vista Ultimate with it.

@Arsenic, Can you show us the specs on that, or links to those websites? I find it hard to believe that with two equal computers, the Mac version turns out to be the cheapest...

Edited out unnecessary quotes. Please don't quote the post directly above your own.
    I'm sorry...

7. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Lol I would also love to see those prices... I don't believe you one bit.

I've done that comparison hundreds of times. Macs always come out about $200 more expensive than almost the exact model from a PC manufacturer.

8. 33-Arsenic

33-Arsenic New Member

Sorry for not responding for a while, I...kinda forgot about these forums. Anyway, for Apple, my total came to 1534.00 (stock 20" model w/ 2 gigs of RAM with the student discount. Sorry if that's not a fair thing to do, but HP, Gateway, etc. all provide "instant rebates." So any discount is fair game. Oh yeah, and Apple, to my knowledge, is the only computer manufacturer that provides discounts to students.)

Unfortunately, since PC manufacturers prices change all the time, my previous example is now void. For HP the total comes to 1436.99 as the cheapest equivalent while Dell is 1819.99 (their monitors are expensive.) Gateway doesn't provide enough customization, and Sony just flat out overcharges.

So HP wins currently, but once their "Get a free 20" monitor sale" is over their cost should be higher than Apple.

*I didn't post actual links because the URL doesn't directly link to the finished product.

9. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
  10. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    I can't see that video. It just says: "video not loaded..."

@Arsenic
    We are not talking about free stuff here. It must be a real system, not some kind of action. You have to use standard prices if you want to make a decent comparison. And you still didn't include any real specs of those systems. Just a few random numbers, that's what you gave us... I hope that if you come back to these forums someday and you read this, you will give us a proper response.

11. wraith_q

wraith_q New Member

I haven't used the Mac OS in over a decade so I can't comment on that, but Vista really sucks. I'd rather run SC on Linux with Wine, at least it's consistent and stable.

12. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Maybe some reasons for it sucking so bad? We are trying having a decent discussion here.

On these forums you are expected to make decent posts, this is a bit spammy.
    You should read the forum rules before posting. People could give you penalties for this, you know...

13. Lobsterlegs

Lobsterlegs Guest

Although Mac has less viruses, better OS's.. etc. it's nothing compared to a pimped out gaming PC..
    If you dont need gaming and want something easy and basic, go for mac..

14. don_bocci

don_bocci New Member

Mac has less viruses because no one bothers to put them on there, hackers figure that the Mac users suffer enough :p

Besides the new lepard system upgrade that they have for the Macbooks can't even run SC and that right there is a sin to all computer gaming.

15. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Just wait for a new patch. I am pretty sure they will fix that in a while.

16. don_bocci

don_bocci New Member

I don't use thank heavens, but I have friends who had to emulate windows to try and play SC but the mac still blocked him from it, seriously messed. It won't let you play worms either.

17. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Lepord has issues.

18. DontHate

DontHate New Member

For my new rig i got windows vista home premium 64 bit for around 110 bucks. It's fine so far, and unlike what lots of people are saying it's compatable with everything i have. However, that's just me.

19. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Every new operating system has its issues. There are, of course, problems that might not be solved right away. However, most of them are quickly patched. Most of the time even faster then microsoft fixes stuff.

20. fasterthanyou2

fasterthanyou2 New Member

same here, i just got a brand new quad-core rig with vista 64 bit, and contrary to popular opinion, i LOVE vista. i havnt had any problems and its a lot more convinient than XP. I absolutely despise Macs though.