1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows or Mac

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by Aurora, Dec 22, 2007.

?

So, Windows or Mac? (Or something else?)

1. Windows

60.0%
  2. Mac

20.0%
  3. Something else.

20.0%

Windows or Mac

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by Aurora, Dec 22, 2007.

1. PainKiller

PainKiller New Member

If you push the "apple" button and click than it will work as a Right click, and you can also buy a mouse with 2 buttons for mac..! :)

2. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    The computer box.

When it is vertical it is calloed a tower box

3. karlo

karlo New Member

SOL system
    HOLD CTRL then click then bingo! its like right click.

4. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Peoples desire for using a keyboard for general navigation died with DOS

5. 11-Sodium

11-Sodium New Member

I like Apple computers.

My friend just decided he would get a dual boot Apple computer for several reasons:
    -If Windows is screwed over by viruses, he will still have a functional operating system
    -OS X comes preinstalled with a full complement of professional developer tools (and Java 6 is available now, too!)
    -The warranty, combined with AppleCare, will cover any problems with his computer, free, for at least two years.
    -Hardware. He can order a custom box online, and it is cheaper than the same specs on a PC. Oh, the hardware is also much more durable and resistant to damage.
    He has been completely opposed to Apple until recently.

Basically, the only reasons you could possibly have for using Windows are games and cost. Those reasons often exclude each other, as games can really run up the bills... and as far as price goes, you get what you pay for.

6. Rex

Rex New Member

Hey is it possible to have an Apple Program Mixed with Microsoft? My Cousin changed his computer into an Apple, but when you first turn it on it says Windows XP, and the User Login also has the word Windows. When you login its like an Apple computer with big icon, Safari, and etc. How is that possible? Is it consider as a mix?

Also I'm a Windows User. Question: What is Linux?

7. 11-Sodium

11-Sodium New Member

I know Apple has released iTunes, Quicktime, Safari, and many other applications on Windows, so he may just have those programs installed. There are ways to partition the disc to allow for a Windows OS and a Mac OS to run separately, but what I suspect is that your cousin has a mod for Windows to make it look like Mac OS. I could be very wrong, but that is my suspicion.

Linux is a free open source OS that has gained a decent following recently. Linux and Mac OS X are both UNIX-based operating systems, and so they are similar in many ways, particularly in the command line. I have noticed that some distributions of Linux make an attempt to emulate the look and feel of Windows.

8. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    ROFLMAO ;) Nice.

Also, I'm seeing a lot of misconceptions and just plain wrong ideas about the differences between the operating systems. I think a lot of people hear about the controversy between Macs and PCs and want to join in, so they find random reasons why their own platform is best.

Macs:

1. Less common, therefore, less prone to common viruses. Let's face it, if a hacker can choose between a user base of millions (PCs) and a user base in the hundreds of thousands (Mac), he will choose the PCs hands down, and its extremely difficult to code for both systems.

2. More user-friendly. Because it's what experienced users call "dumbed-down" the Mac is easy to use. It has relatively little that you need to work on to get it to its optimal stage. Don't need to install thousands of strange drivers, etc. But this can work against you in customization.

3. Hardware. Contrary to popular belief, the Hardware on Macs is almost identical to those on PCs. So what Sodium said is... well... wrong. They're no more durable than what you would find in a PC because they're made by the same manufacturers. Heck, even the processors are now similar to what you would find in a PC since Apple switched over to Intel chips.

So, to answer JBL's earlier question, the newer version of OS X is going to be cracked, and relatively easily. Since they've now switched to Intel chips, the BIOS of the processors between a PC machine and a Mac are going to be much more similar if not exactly the same. For a long time people have wanted to crack OS X and put it on a Windows machine. That's happening now and will forever drop this "OS barrier." The gap between PCs and Macs is closing steadily, and I think you'll see the loss of the stereotypes along with it. :D

PCs:
    1. Slightly more customizable and utilitarian than the Macs. The biggest kicker is that only a relatively small percentage (but admittedly some of the best) software is coded for both platforms, and the remainder is coded only for Windows based OSs. Games make up the largest part of this software, which accounts for all the users who want to play games having only PCs. It's basically a conspiracy.

2. Along with gaming comes the need for obsolete video cards and graphics engines. You really don't need a video card, the gaming companies just like you to buy them. It also makes Nvidia and ATI happy in the pants, so they continue the trend. Why don't you need them? You have this handy dandy thing already attached to your processor called a chipset. It does everything your video card does for you, but it utilizes your processor's resources. So while it's more efficient, it does take up valuable system resources (but is it worth paying $500 for a video card when you should already have that capability?).

3. PCs are extremely vulnerable to user-introduced malicious codes like viruses and trojans. The major reason for this is that the vast majority of this malicious code is written solely for Windows based OSs and does nothing to Mac users. This is the basis of the Mac superiority in the malicious code department. :D If you're aware of yourself and don't introduce this malicious code to your computer, as you shouldn't, then you'll never have a problem.

4. PCs are incredibly cheap compared to Macs. You can achieve the same performance on a PC for about 1/2-3/4 the price of a Mac, plain and simple, and it's much easier to pirate software. :D

EDIT: Another issue that Sodium reminded me of is the coding basis. With the new BIOS systems, I'm told that the new Mac OS is going to be UNIX based as well, so it might have some superior features that bring the positives from Linux into play.

Linux is a totally separate OS and while I consider it to be absolutely superior to Windows and OS X in every way because of its perfection in open-source coding and its progressive nature (each day is better than the last) it won't ever truly be successful until major software providers recognize it as the platform it deserves to be, which won't happen while Windows controls the gaming market and Apple controls artistic license. :D

9. Rex

Rex New Member

I heard that really old windows (95, or 98, etc.) are harder to be infected by viruses, since they are so old. Is it true?

@11-Sodium He said he added a part in the computer.

10. 11-Sodium

11-Sodium New Member

@Joneagle_X: I based some of those comments on my friend's research, so I can't actually back it up. My mistake.
    Though, how many PC laptops come with adapters designed to unplug if yanked hard enough, to keep the laptop from falling?
    How many have accelerometers designed to protect the discs in case of a fall?
    I don't know, and so I ask.

@Rex: I am sorry, but I still can't say for sure what it is without seeing it for myself.

11. LxMike

LxMike New Member

Windows, because of Tablet PC, oh and on Mac, everything must be Legally purchased

12. DarkTemplol

DarkTemplol New Member

Windows. Mac could be better, and i still wouldn't buy. I just hate Apple with my very soul.

13. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    That's just a laptop feature that the cord comes out when yanked. There are off-brands that do that as well...

And the hard disk protection is standard in any Western Digital harddrive. :D

14. SuccaMC

SuccaMC New Member

Death Star
    ?????
    who told you that?

You can pirate anything you can run.

lol.

15. karlo

karlo New Member

SOL system

yes that is possible,it works on our mac laptop. :D .i think windows and mac are associated.:D

16. LxMike

LxMike New Member

well I can't imagine a Hacker use a mac, that just doesn't fit a geek profile

17. JBL

JBL New Member

That explains exactly why I'm not using it right now.. great explanation..

anyway.. I'm planning to triple boot my next computer ;)

18. Rex

Rex New Member

Hey JBL Whats a triple boot anyways. I don't know much about computers.

@Karlo Mac and Windows associated? I don't think so man.

Message to Jon: I FIXED MY COMPUTER :D Thanks for your help and time anyways Jon Sorry. I was fooling around and I just saw repair my Computer, so I pressed Repair Window's Image. And Thats it I'm done :D Thanks for your time Jon.

19. JBL

JBL New Member

a computer is dual booted when you divide your harddrive (you could also use 2 different harddrives) into 2 parts and install 2 different operating systems on each part (or on each of the harddrives) most of the time it refers to either windows and linux, or windows and OS X

triple boot would be the same but with 3 operating systems

20. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Triple boot. XD That's just to much...

Of course not. Using a mouse is way to time consuming. If you learn how to use most of the windows hot-keys (not only ctrl+c etc.) you can do everything on you (windows operated) pc at least twice as fast. I'm only using my mouse for gaming and navigating on the internet at the moment...

But a Mac comes with an OS version, when you buy a regular pc, you still have to buy windows in most cases...