1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do 3 of the Protoss units look the same?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by sc2arousesme, Mar 19, 2008.

Why do 3 of the Protoss units look the same?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by sc2arousesme, Mar 19, 2008.

1. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    First of all, not only was the question I was actually answering answered, but the thread's question was answered as well.
    People were saying that three of the Immortal, Stalker and Colossus have the same origin. They don't. The Immortals and Stalkers are both based off or reconstructions of the Dragoon. The Colossus is an ancient war machine used in the Kalath Intercession.
    The thread's question asks why three Protoss units look the same. The answer is that two look the same because they're based off the same unit, and the other doesn't look the same as it's built in a completely different time frame for a completely different purpose.
    Now everyone give a hand to Gforce for attempting to be clever.

2. AlexBlaze

AlexBlaze New Member

Hyperion's cantina.. *BURP*
    I like the looks of all 3 of them, the towering Colossus walking up and down the cliffs, the bulky, strong Immortal, archenemies of the Crucio Tanks :D and the light and fast Stalker, hunting the retreating enemies, atacking the enemy's economy or blinking away from danger.

3. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    Its all the same race i.e related technology. what would you be prefer, wheels? wheels are the way that human technology developed and has became very important (i'm not just thinking about for transport) and has advantages and disadvantages to walkers, walkers can turn easier, change position etc, while wheels can potentially reach higher speeds and be more fuel efficient.

4. Juggernaught131

Juggernaught131 New Member

America
    dealing with the topic of the immortals comparison to eqypt... yes, i have looked at the protoss and the egyptians, and if any alien race influenced the egyptians (lol) it would be the protoss. Look at the nexus near a pyramid.

5. I agree with whoever said the three units mentioned are no more similiar than the Marines, Reapers, Ghosts, etc.. And, that each race needs some uniformity.

6. Hodl pu

Hodl pu New Member

True, remember the campaign where you had to kill the protoss temple? The nexus looks like a pyramid itself as well. The only think I think looks a bit funny is the stalker (looks nothing like the art to me) but w/e.

Oh and the immortals inability to attack air (if that's still the mechanic).

7. blizzconhooo

blizzconhooo New Member

yep

so they cna blend in with each other

8. Boneblade

Boneblade New Member

I for one think the Colossus is different enough both in size and proportion that it will not be visually confused with the two dragoon variants, Immortal and Stalker. Like.. at all.

On the topic of the latter two, all I can say is that variety and versatility is good. Forget how pretty something looks - make it functional, and I'll like it. If the Stalker has applicable strategic differences from the Immortal, I don't care if they look exactly alike. Hell, that will make it harder for my opponent to guess what I am about to do. Are those dragoons just going to walk up and start blazing away like Immortals, or teleport past my defenses and raid my resources?

Beyond that, though, the Immortals / Stalkers will probably MOVE differently enough from eachother as to be distinct. Not to mention the models themselves are fairly individual, the Immortal heavier in design, the stalker more concentric and lean.

9. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Not only what you already listed at the end of your post, but the Stalker is silver + teamcolor while the Immortal is yellow/golden + teamcolor. They're simply impossible to mix up in any way.

10. Redlazer

Redlazer New Member

I think the fact that the Collossus is maybe 3 or 4 times larger than the other two may also qualify as a difference =P

They're all very different, if you can't notice the difference, you either have terrible eye sight or can't pick up any traces of detail whatsoever.

11. Smokiehunter

Smokiehunter New Member

Well I guess I can see the similarities but aren't they redoing the stalker?

12. Avrorius

Avrorius New Member

Protoss units are now looking to me as much as toss-style as possible :)

Except maybe for the DT a bit, and twilight archon walking/ attacking was kind of inappropriate ( they were planning to change it...but donno if they already did by now or not )
    The only thing i was wondering bout the toss units ( and/or terr ) is
    if or not there will be any female units.
    can someone enlighten me please?;)

13. Redlazer

Redlazer New Member

Yep, the Stalker has been redone. Looks more like the concept art now, with the shield-like appendage coming out the side.

They're all very different, if you ask me. It's not like you'll be like "Oh my god, I can't tell what's what in this huge battle!"

14. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    The mothership is piloted by a female protoss.

I'm pretty sure they did change the archon, atleast they now hover.

15. chargeshot

chargeshot New Member

What is there in the lore about female toss?

16. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

Ahh i don't even really know the lore and i can tell you that if you look its fairly obvious.

17. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    Raszagiel is clearly a female and is addressed as such in brood war.

18. Vampire

Vampire New Member

Canada
    What's wrong with a female protoss? or are you just mad your fav toss unit piloted by a girl *cough* sexist

19. Avrorius

Avrorius New Member

TY "overmind"... think it'll add to the SC-diversity and fun-factor.:)
    like medic and Valkyrie did in some way.
    p.s. sry, couldn't find an appropriate thread 4 that...:(;)

20. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    I never said there was anything wrong with female toss, the matriarch's one of my favourite heroes >_>

You could make a SC-diversity and fun-factor thread, could be... interesting :)