1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do 3 of the Protoss units look the same?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by sc2arousesme, Mar 19, 2008.

Why do 3 of the Protoss units look the same?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by sc2arousesme, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Kaaraa

Kaaraa Space Junkie

United States
    They both do 8 damage GtG, but the Stalker has 100 HP/60 Shields, and the Hydralisk only has 80 HP. The Stalker wins by endurance.

Anyway, it's not really surprising why the Stalker and Immortal look similar, since they are both variations of the Dragoon. I don't really see the similarity with the Colossus though. It has four legs, yes, but so do lots of things. That doesn't make them the same.

2. Laz

Laz New Member

In the words of the stalker lore. "Inspired by the ancient and honored dragoon walkers the dark Templar have begun to build war machines of their own" and the words of the Immortal lore. "The remaining dragoons have become the immortals. Of course they are gonna have some similarity's. They are both made from Dragoons and you dont make an entirely different unit from the designs of a previous one.
    And where did you get a 100 foot tall machine that shoots lasers mixed in with 7 foot tall machines that shoot little energy bullets?

3. Chax424

Chax424 New Member

A
    War of the worlds :p

4. Laz

Laz New Member

lol not what i meant.

5. Gforce

Gforce New Member

Godzilla?

6. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    What about attack speed. The hydralisk will probaly attack faster, like the hydralisk vs dragoon.

7. Kaaraa

Kaaraa Space Junkie

United States
    A very good point, furrer. Looking at the Stalker's fire rate in the announcement demo and the Hydra's in the action shots on the official site, I'd say that evens out the battle so that one will only win by a smidgen of HP.

8. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Yeah, and the Hydralisk will be the best cost wise I think. Protoss will as always need storms/archons/splash to win.

9. Smokiehunter

Smokiehunter New Member

I'm sure that the stalkers attack rate has improved over the the dragoons. I would think with the stalkers blink ability if it had a longer range it would win (sadly I don't know its rang).

10. Tankman131

Tankman131 Guest

The stalker is the dark templars dragoons so it is going to be another four legged unit.
    Thje immortal is the recreation of the dragoon so it is going to be four legged
    The colossus is a recreation of the war of the worlds tripods and a protoss answer for swarms and terrain, so it is four legged
    They all have the same origins so they all have the same body types

11. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I laughed out loud at this. It's a complete contradiction. You said that being a recreation of a Tripod, the Colossus would also have four legs. Believe it or not, but a recreation of a Tripod would have three legs, not four.
    They all have the same origin? That's also a bit of a laugh. You said yourself, the Stalker and Immortal are both recreations of the Dragoon and that the Colossus is reminiscent of a War of the Worlds Tripod. Not only would the Protoss have not watched War of the Worlds and designed their units accordingly, but the Dragoon and War of the Worlds are two completely different 'origins'. The Colossus is not a recreation of the Dragoon so they don't all have the same origin. It's just coincidence, or more likely just the Protoss' style of machinery, not that all of them have the same origin.

12. Tankman131

Tankman131 Guest

1: what i meant by that is that the collosus was a recreation ,NOT THE SAME THING so the Blizzard creatorschanged the figure so it did not fully copy the tripods, by adding a leg.
    Also, the protoss of course did not see war of the worlds, BUT THE GAME CREATORS HAVE. the collosus is a dragoon style war of the worlds unit that has the same build style as all of the other dragoon based units, ie: stalker, immortal, and collosus

P.S. collosus is a hybrid of the WOTW and the dragoon

P.P.S. think about the creators making the game, not the fake species making the unit

13. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Well, if you're talking about the game designers and not the in-game lore, then of course they all have the same origin, the game designers. Everything, no matter whether it's the Thor and the Zergling, would also have the same origin going by that.
    It's not that the game designers are inspired by the Dragoon of the past, it's the Dark Templar who are. When talking about unit concepts and appearances, you've got to talk lore-wise, not designer-wise.

14. Juggernaught131

Juggernaught131 New Member

America
    they all have some similarities, cuz they have all come from the same origins. if you remember, the protoss lost the temple of the dragoons, and they could no longer create them. this would force the protoss to compromise, and make something new. Instead of rethink a whole new design, why not take what works and improve upon it. The yhad to of had a reason for four legs when they created the fragoons in the first place, so why fix somehthing that isnt broken

P.S. a reader may see me as contradicting myself, but the opposite sayings are dealing with different parts of the immortal, stalker, collosus similarities and lore

15. Darktemplar_L

Darktemplar_L New Member

Bay Area
    The Stalker is a perfect design for a Dark Templar Dragoon. The Immortal looks too Egyptian to me, there are stripes on the face plate! The Colossus looks like those tripods from War of the Worlds.

16. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    The Dragoon. It is a cyborg. A war machine designed to support crippled Protoss warriors, enabling them to continue to fight. They were made on Aiur in a sacred shrine. When Aiur was taken by the Swarm and the Protoss fled to Shakuras, they lost their shrine and ability to produce Dragoons. The remaining Dragoons were upgraded into Immortals.
    The Immortal. A recently designed unit for the Protoss. An upgraded Dragoon refitted with a new exoskeleton, Twin Phase Disruptors and its Hardened Shield.
    The Stalker. Also a recently designed unit for the Protoss. It is inspired by the Dragoons of the past and is the Dark Templar's new war machine. Unlike the Dragoon or Immortal it is made of pure metal and controlled by the shadow essence of a Dark Templar warrior.
    The Colossus. The Colossus is an ancient weapon of war. It was used by the Protoss against a race known as the Kalathi in an encounter after the exile of the Dark Templar but before the events of StarCraft1.
    In summation, Immortals look like Dragoons because they are Dragoons. The Stalkers look like Dragoons because they were based on Dragoons. The only similarity that the Colossus shares with the Dragoon is that they both have four legs. They were created a long time ago, preceding the events of StarCraft1. The Immortal and Stalker may have a similar origin, but the Colossus does not.

17. Gforce

Gforce New Member

And everybody give a hand to hex for giving the answer to another topic.

18. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    I really don't think he did Gforce. Chut yerr pah hole.

They don't look the same, and I only noticed the barely noticeable similarities because of this topic.
    I was having fun watching them beforehand.

The Immortal is a bulked up, stout walker that is tough enough to live up to it's name.
    The Stalker is a sleek but deadly walker that preys on weak or unaware foes.
    The Colossus is a massive killing machine that only wants to turn your friends to burning stumps.

All of their names tell you right off the bat what they're like, and their physical design and presence in the game is only similar by this...
    They have four legs.

Whoop dee doo.

19. Juggernaught131

Juggernaught131 New Member

America
    I agree, the immortal looks like it is straight off of the rosetta stone or in the pyramids of egyt, not like an alien races answer to a dwindling walker count

20. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Who said the Egyptions was not influenced by extraterrestrials ;]
    /sarcasm

But um if you didn't notice the Protoss on a whole look like space faring Egyption culture aliens.
    Research Egyptions then compare it all to Protoss. Lots of matches.