1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why cant lurkers not attack while not-burrowed?

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Mong0!, May 15, 2009.

why cant lurkers not attack while not-burrowed?

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Mong0!, May 15, 2009.

1. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    But the mouth is faced forward. It would have to be through small holes in the back.

I agree that all that is weird. Battlecruisers have non-psionic abilities too, but they don't count as psionic units. But I guess it's all up to balance.

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  2. Sueco

Sueco New Member

Ok one last time.

All Zerg are psionically sensitive. Thats why the Psi disruptor works against them.

No present Zerg exepting kerrigan has any active psionic powers, such as shields, psi storms, or warping of any kind.

I actually cited passages in scwiki that explain the Overlord's capabilities while stating that they only posess weak telekinesis to move themselves like Zeppelings, with direct links to sources and people still go on about it. Blizzard purposely designed the Zerg as masters of biotechnology and genetics, while the protoss are their opposite, psionic and highly technological.

Say it one more time with me. Zerg are all psionically sensitive creatures. NO Zerg save Kerrigan are psykers. Not even the queen in the current build, as all her abilities are biochemical weapons. Those are the facts.

Also, for mutas to have have a turbine they need ambient air, as turbines use air for propulsion, so its a no-go outside atmospheres. One possible solution to muta space flying would be that their wings do double purpose as solar sails, but then nature of solar sails give them very slow acceleration, which means that any maneuverability would be precluded.

On the muta issue, i find it hard to believe that mutalisks are designed for space combat at all, as they are too small to pack enough energy reserves to travel the vast distances of space. They are probably designed for close air defense around hives and other larger Zerg organisms within planetary boundaries. Space defense is probably done by other Zerg species. Since Interplanetary ships tend to be larger, Brood Lords might be their primary space warships. Of course, Blizzard might not go to such extent on detailing Swarm warfare, but that doesn't stop us from envisioning possible solutions.

Edit: Oh and regarding the Psionic classification, its a gameplay definition. Could change tomorrow as developers see fit. Doesn't say much about the actual unit.

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  3. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    But it does. As GMG said: then you could classify any unit as psionic. :s

As for Mutalisks fighting in space: they are transported in Behemoths over long distances. No need for them to be able to stay in space for a long time. Also, why would they be unable to store gas and use it for propulsion? See it as a combe of a whale storing air, and the waterjet of an octopus.

One last comment from me on the psionic stuff: being sensitive to psionic powers has nothing to do with the unit class. Also: what do telekinetic powers have to do with warp space? :s

4. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    Ok let's get a little more on topic. And why not make lurkers look a little more like the defiler with a funky tail. It might look alot better then now and would give it a lot more contrast from the roach. And why is everything about psi with you guys seriously, you guys argued back and forth for like 2 pages and made the worlds longest and most boring posts ever!

there can still be differences between races like the protoss and psi and the terrans with machinery and the Zerg with biology. Everything doesn't have to revolve around psi!

5. louisdragon

louisdragon New Member

pls ask blizzard ^_^

6. needler

needler New Member

Shouldn't all Zerg units be able to detect Ghosts and Dark Templars lorewise because they sense psionic units?

7. Sueco

Sueco New Member

Zerg units are psionically receptive. They have neither the intelligence nor the power to project any psionic abilities.

As far as lore goes, the only zerg that can be classified as psionic in any way are the late Overmind and kerrigan.

Queen is still in development for SC2 but i think they will stick with the biowarrior theme.

8. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Are you new here? Even I have been involved in longer and more boring discussens (remember IHG?)!

9. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    *Ahem*

I'm still here, dude. :p

And on top of that, I was involved in this very debate.

10. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    I new you would missunderstand it, but this time I wont discuss it! :D
    I ment if you could remember them/it!

11. Novacute

Novacute New Member

It's just a balancing factor. If it wasn't submerged it wouldn't just be another Hellion on the zerg side. I guess Blizzard wanted variety, not uniformity. Plus, it provides the player with a great chance to decimate an army that is not equipped with a detector. That's a plus too.

12. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    Um, I have to say sry. I was a little cranky and don't have much sleep. Not sure why I was on the comp anyway.

13. StarCrap

StarCrap New Member

has anyone heard anything about changing their model?

p.s. its good to be back in this forum :]

14. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    I think that happened a long time ago!? Welcome back...

15. Billjoe

Billjoe Guest

Definitely a variety. It's the only zerg unit to attack while being borrowed, hence balance. End of discussion.

16. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Actually, simply having a unit that can attack while Burrowed does not equate to balance. It would definitely be concerned with balance, but more so to do with diversity and the fact that there's no need for such an attack.

And on top of that, if you take a look at the opening post, you'll see that he says lorewise. In fact, that's all he says.

17. Darktemplar_L

Darktemplar_L New Member

Bay Area
    Lurkers can't attack while unburrowed probably just for balance issues. As you can see in Starcraft 1, the burrow animation is longer for the lurker than it is for any other zerg unit, possibly meaning it digs deeper, or somehow is able to manipulate the ground around it due to how deep it goes. Just a theory.

WOOT 1000th post!!!! oh yeah!!!!!!!!!!

I AM LEGEND *****ES

18. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Balance reasons only I think.

Congratulations, 2000 is funnier though.

19. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

Ever wondered how the Maxtrix works like if you were in it?? Look at the Lurker =P

20. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    ? What are you saying?