1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who wants the Valkyrie back?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by aMp, Feb 16, 2008.

?

Should the Valkyrie come back?

1. Yes!

100.0%
  2. No, the Predator instead!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No (new idea)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Terran doesn't need another AtA.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Who wants the Valkyrie back?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by aMp, Feb 16, 2008.

1. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    im waiting for itsahexgor reply for our argument XD

but yes, there should not be a valkrie with ATG attack...thats dumb..why do we need it when we have banshees and vikings.

2. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    @ zeratul11. Name some of these mechs, ships, etc, that look like the StarCraft ones. Post picture of them. There isn't a point in saying 'there are so many that I can't begin naming them'. Give some evidence.
    @ AcE_01. It does look a lot like the X-wing. The cockpit jutting out in the middle, the fours cyclinders around the cockpit and the two guns on each wing. Sure, two of the guns on the Predator are larger than the other two, but that's really th only difference.
    @ aMp. There is obviously a reason why they took it out. If they just put it back in again as it is, then people's problems wouldn't be solved because the Predator would still have that same problem it had before.
    @ LxMike. It's pointless to say that you want the Valkyrie to be given an Air-to-Ground attack just because it's expensive. If it comes back into StarCraft2, Blizzard will either give it a more powerful Air-to-Air attack or reduce the cost. They wouldn't fix the problem by giving it the same attack damage and cost of StarCraft1, but then give it an Air-to-Ground attack on top of that.

3. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

i dont know actually their name. but ive seen them in artworks tv etc.. i dont have a stored data about them.

well for the goliath = just see mech warrior. obviously they hame similar features, a lot of them, same feet design, cockpit, the weapons, etc. and no one complains. the robot enemy of robocop reminds me of the terran goliath. thats why i think the goliath is not good enough for starcraft 2. its a mediocre mech imo. love it then not now for sc2.

so an ATA fighter could more or less also have similarities between them in different sci fi setting or universe.

the vulture is the same as the motor bike in starwars but bigger.

i think its just coincidence or natural when you desing sci fi vehicles chances are they will look similar somehow to other sci fi design. but what important is is which one looks better. and IMO the predator looks better. 8)

so il go directly to the predator looking starwars. both are ata spacefighter and chances are they will look similar. the wraith actually didn'y really look simialr because it was 10 years old, and it had its extra wing below. anyway i have seen a lot of ships that had 3 wings etc, well i cant actually name them or remember where, since we are talking mainly about starwars check out darth vaider transport ship, it also has 3 wings although its above not below.

ok, what can you say about everything else that i stated? like its natural the ships looks the same on a sci fi settings...its just that starwars is popular if not we really dont care about the look of the predator. its a futuristic jetplane, it would be unlikely that it will have a box, circle or different shape instead it will remain similar to the planes we have now but updated, v more complex shape, with extra wings for weapons, sleek design, (just like on most sci fi settings say starwars) etc.

4. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    No offense, but you really need to work on grammar and sentence structure.
    There are hundreds of examples of unique aircraft and spacecraft. Look at all the StarWars ships, they don't all resemble each other. They all look distinct and unique. Same with Warhammer 40, 000. Their ships all look very unique to their own team. Also, with what you said about the Wraith, just because another ship has three wings, it doesn't mean it looks like the Wraith. Inversely, just because the Wraith has three wings, it doesn't mean that it's unique. There are all sorts of features about the Wraith that makes it unique to StarCraft, not just its three wings.

5. PancakeChef

PancakeChef New Member

United States
    I do not want the Valkyrie back. This isn't Starcraft 1 I want some new and fresh things. There is no point in bringing it back anyway. What purpose would that serve? All it would do is add a unit that acts like the one in original.

Starcraft 2 is different balance, different strategy, different in almost all regards adding something that worked in the first game is not necessarily gonna work in the second especially with all the changes.

The only thing similarity the predator has to the x-wing is that it is a fighter and has the same amount of wings. Excuse me if I rant a bit here but I've seen it compared to many different models of sci-fi ships like the A-wing. All claiming Blizzard is just copying them and not but any effort into the design. All this complaining and extreme nic-picking is starting to bother me.

6. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

yes im working on it. but dont make it an excuse why you cant answer some of my strong points. im sure you still understood them very well.

the wraith with 3 wings is just an example. how about the goliath, vulture etc.. that i talk about and that sci fi spacecraft more or else would look v shape etc simialr to the predator and xwing. its just that blizzard decided the predator too look like that.

what other features of the wraith make it unique? i think there is nothing else except for the 3 wings and dark colored and awkward looking lasers mounted on it.. the predator just look BETTER and i still dont see why you have to complain that its not good just bcoz it look starwars even i gave some good reason why it looks that way without including the starwars issue.

7. PancakeChef

PancakeChef New Member

United States
    You know the thought never even came to my mind that it looks similar to a X-wing or anything. Until it was brought up and even then the only similarity i can find is the wing design, which isn't too similar to it either. If you bothers you THAT much then don't buy the game.

Or we could discuss on how it could be improved and some design suggestions you know some actual constructive discussion for a change instead of this complaining.

Because we all know any unit in a video game that looks even remotely similar to another design is serious business!!! ::)

Thats almost like saying that the Terran marine is a rip off of my avatar because he wears power armor, has a helmet like it and shoulder pads oh snap! it's not a totally original design and I'm not gonna buy the game because of it! That is seriously how this argument is coming off to me.

8. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    It isn't necessarily a bad move to reimplement smoe of the original StarCraft1 units. The Valkyrie in StarCraft1 wasn't used an awful lot, but Blizzard is being careful not to have any units like that in StarCraft2. Maybe, if Blizzard makes it into a more effective unit, it could be the Valkyrie's chance to shine.
    First of all, there is more than the number of wings, I've already explained that further up. Secondly, I was commenting that its similarity to Star Wars could have been a contributing factor to it getting cut. Read the whole thread before posting. I never whined about how crap it is that they look the same, so don't accuse me of it.
    I'm not using it as an excuse, and I didn't mean to have a go at you for it. Sorry if I offended. I'm more than happy to answer your questions, but I'm not sure exactly what they are. From what I gathered, you've asked me to say why the Goliath, etc, are unique to StarCraft, but you haven't actually shown that they aren't. Show me some evidence that these units resemble other science fiction games or movies. I haven't seen any so far.
    Rather than stating why something is unique, it's easier to prove that it isn't. Finding something that resembles the Wraith will prove that it isn't unique. Listing all the features of the Wraith doesn't necessarily show that it's unique, because there could be something else out there that shares the same features.
    Again, I'm not complaining that it looks like Star Wars, I'm saying that it strongly resembles it, which could be a contributing factor to it being cut.

9. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

yes nice example.

also its like saying that the marines looks like masterchief of halo but bulkier (well i can see some similarities).. but in the end who cares each has its own characteristic and style. so as the predaotr and xwing. ^^

10. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

ok i know it resembles starwars and i also thought it could be one of the possible reason the predator was cut. that it looks too nice to be terran.

so im here debating that even a ship that looks starwars like the predator doesn't necessarily mean its bad for the terran or it is not terran like. IMO, seeing the new terran look in sc2, i think the predator fits them very well and also a space fighter should be the most polish and well designed unit or vehicle afterall.

heres a good eample by the way.

all mechs has similarities in most cases because they have feet, armed weapon, and a cockpit etc some look a LITTLE diffrent because others have some human like robotic arm etc.

so most spacefighter also has the similiarties in most cases like they have wings, blaster, a sleek design, etc.. but some look a LITTLE different because they have extra wings, circle or have a different shape and porportion etc.

so IMO the predator was not overly done it is just a normal looking spacefighter just like the xwings or other ships in starwars.

so i doesn't mean the predator is a rip off from starwars and saying it resembles or starwars like its because starwars is popular but the fact its because the predator is just a normal looking spacefighter.

11. PancakeChef

PancakeChef New Member

United States
    I have explained that the wings are the only similarity that I see.

Also saying that it "strongly resembles it" is the same thing as it "looks like it" or similar to it.

I did in fact read much of the thread and the discussion before posting so please don't accuse me of it just because my opinion or arguments aren't exactly to your liking.

I didn't accuse you of anything and I apologize if I didn't make this clear but I meant a lot of other people and that THEY need to stop the complaining and whining and nic-picking.

12. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    When did I say that "strongly resembles" isn't the same thing as "is similar to"? "Strongly resembles" can still be different to "looks like" though. "Looks like" refers to it being almost identical to something else, and "strongly resembles" more implies that they share very similar features.
    I apologize, I just wasn't sure whether you read that it wasn't my personal opinion as to why the Predator should be or was cut. I was merely saying that it could have been a contributing factor.

13. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    See this thread
    http://www.starcraft2forum.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=47&topic=1692.0
    ===
    I like the pred but it should have less stubby wings. or drop them completely and put the cannons up front

14. aMp

aMp New Member

They have to bring back the unit first lol