1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What if they put together mothership and carrier together ?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by kenshin72, Aug 10, 2007.

What if they put together mothership and carrier together ?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by kenshin72, Aug 10, 2007.

1. GrahamTastic

GrahamTastic Member

That might be interesting... except I like the Mothership model the way it is. It would be cool to have a Mothership with interceptors though...

And an upgrade that turned the interceptors into flying Reavers, perhaps.

2. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    Flying Reavers that shoot kamikaze Firebats.

3. Eye_Carumba

Eye_Carumba New Member

@ MajorWilly: was that a dream you had, or a bad-trip? lol Would be tons of fun nevertheless! We could add the Genova-zerg-unit, whose only power is to control the 'Sephiroth' unit, and the even more original "Darth Vader" unit for the Terrans: a 1-per-player unit that fights with a melee light-saber and can choke individually a marine as a skill. Best ideas ever! xD

4. Bizarro_Paragon

Bizarro_Paragon New Member

As thoroughly excited as I am about the prospect of Mothership-Carriers launching Flying Reavers that shoot Kamikaze Firebats (Firebats explode into several, tinier Firebats? Think "Fire it Up" in a high-pitched voice), I'm gonna try and settle down and voice a proper opinion on the topic.

I have to admit that when I originally read this thread, I really liked the idea of combining Carriers and the Mothership. We could keep Blizzard guys happy by ditching Blackhole, take away the standard attack give the Mothership like 20 interceptors, and give it it's Ultimate unit status again. The main reason I like it is because we're making a little bit more sense with the whole "Mothership is a flying city" idea. I mean, how many city's can you have flying around fighting a single battle for you, Protoss? You think these people don't have lives? Bill's kids haven't been to school in weeks, because you've selfishly got them zapping Zerglings over on Omicron Persei 8.
    Point is, one city is fine. And having 20 small, fast, robotic interceptors in that city makes sense, as well as having a factory in there to replace them as they go. It solved all the things that annoyed me about the current Mothership situation. (Except losing Blackhole)

Now that I've had some time to think about it, though, I hate the idea. Why the sudden change of heart? It doesn't even have all that much to do with Motherships or Carriers... simply put, I just think that Warp Rays are terrible capital ships. They don't look like capital ships, they don't behave like capital ships, nothing about them echoes power. Capital ships are the centre of your fleet... I don't want my Phoenixes following a Capital ship into battle who's greatest weakness is a bunch of Marines. It just screams of "meh."
    Now, the Carrier, that's a quality Capital ship. Remember the Carrier's weakness in SC1? Yeah, me neither.

Ultimately, my point (I think) is that if we DO combine Carriers and the Mothership, it sort of leaves quite a big leap between Warp-Rays and this new Mothership. A leap that was originally to be filled by the Tempest, but it's not like we could put that back in, if interceptors are in the Mothership, so that's out. Ergo, unless Blizzard comes up with a new capital ship (Cue Flying Reavers that shoot Kamikaze Firebats,) I think this idea is a no-go.

5. paragon

paragon Guest

okay what the hell, nobody can say that THIS isn't someone trying to copy me.

6. Bizarro_Paragon

Bizarro_Paragon New Member

@Safer_Paragon-
    Oh, copying the copyer. Very original. God. I hate youz!

@Paragon-
    Think of it more as a tribute. I needed an alias, and the one thing this forum makes me think of (after Starcraft) is how, despite liking you and thinking you're actually pretty smart, I pretty much disagree with everything you ever say. It's not even something I thought out, it just sorta... happened. So then I was like sure, why not, and made the avatar. Personally, I envision both of us having some fun with the concept. Of course, if I'm the Bizarro-you, then you probably hate the idea.

Meh. Are we going to get yelled at for posting off-topic?

7. StarCraft144000

StarCraft144000 Member

Wrap Rays are powerful they can take down all big units like get 5 then attack a Thor but I dont Thor can attack air anyway so how about Mothership still using five then attack it but if it had that black hole abitly but it would not need to worry but if that abilty stays gone then take 5 Wrap Rays and see what happens.

8. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

Screw the mother carrier idea... the only flagship for the protoss should be the mothership but they should make it a super unit if it will be the toss's new momma ship...

but if not and the mothership will be a arbiter in the air parody maybe they shouldve changed its size and name, henceforth ill call it the daughtership LOL

9. Space Pirate Rojo

Canada, eh?
    Why are there a bunch of Paragons chewing starcraft2forum's foot?

But huzzah to the original with his/her/it's thousands of posts.

10. GrahamTastic

GrahamTastic Member

It was the Scourge. They were nicknamed "Carrier Killers." By the way, Paragon, I think you have a small identity theft problem.

11. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

i think it's the same person

12. -LT-

-LT- New Member

I think we should have mothership and carrier.

13. LimaBeanMage

LimaBeanMage New Member

I think all the Paragon's should merge, start flying, and shoot kamikaze firebats >.>

I think the abilities that the mothership had are a bit overpowered to be given to a unit that can be built multiple times. However, a mothership that has interceptors would be interesting. Personally though, I think the mothership should regain its former status and stay separate from carriers.

14. kenshin72

kenshin72 New Member

Mothership and Carrier (is that a good idea ?)

Guys im just trying to think of a way to make it balance coz as of this moment both of them are overlapping each other and i do not think thats how u play toss in sc2 by massing big blimps and wat they call a mothership i do not see it as a mothership no more. its either remove mothership coz theres carriers that has some exceptional abilities that is protoss like or keep mothership and have some few tweaks here and there.

PS: i edit the question (I do not like them combine other)

PPS: Its much fun replacing the unit for another rather putting them together and overlap each others roles

15. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    The Mothership needs to be changed back into a super unit and it would fix this overlapping problem. Also combining the current Mothership and Carrier just wouldnt work because of balancing problems unless they made the new unit cost so much it would be pretty much 1 per team anyways.

16. Daduffian

Daduffian New Member

Some ideas for abilities:

Scatter Bomb: A heavy area affect ground attack with long cooldown.

Shield: Creates shield that prevents units (friendly or enemy) from entering or leaving a large area around the MS, or attacking units that are in that area. Units withing the shield cannot attack units outside the shield. The MS cannot move while using this ability.
    (The primary use of this ability would be to trap small numbers of enemy units within the shield where they cannot leave or get support, or provide a chance for your units to escape).

Warp: Allows the MS to instantly travel to any point within pylon power. However, this ability would take a few seconds to activate, so it would be inefficient for traveling short distances.

Docking Bay: 5 Pheonixes or 2 Warp-Rays could dock in the MS and be taken with a Warp.

Self-Destruct: The MS would self-destruct, destroying any air units in a wide range around the MS, and damaging ground units. This ability would take a short while to activate (maybe 7 seconds), so it would be hard to use on an already dying MS.

Some other ideas: The MS would be so expensive that it would be difficult to get more than 2 or 3. MS would be able to build Fighters (Anti-Air), Bombers (Anti-Ground), and (with upgrade) Interceptors (hits air and ground). MS would also not look like the retarded floating city. Something more like the Homeworld Mothership would be cooler: http://www.justadventure.com/reviews/Homeworld/homeworld4.jpg.

17. Protosscommander

Protosscommander New Member

Well for me mothership is okey now, no things must be changed.

18. Space Pirate Rojo

Canada, eh?
    Oh my god.
    Mothercarrier is the scariest sounding thing since Nuclear Launch Detected.

19. motto

motto New Member

all hail mothercarrier.

20. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    Now the mix of these units would be the "super weapon"
    Blizzard wants to weaken the Carrier /which is named tempest now/ and they also work on the Mothership yet. (I don't think they wanna make it stronger)