1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What happened to the GIANT THOR

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Dragon God, Dec 2, 2008.

What happened to the GIANT THOR

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Dragon God, Dec 2, 2008.

1. wodan46

wodan46 New Member

If the Thor was fully functional for all 800 HP, he would be OP. This allows the Thor to be an 800 HP roadblock without making it OP. You keep viewing the wreckage mode as an "instead of" rather than "in addition to". 400 HP is already good for a unit costing 500 resources. The fact that it is difficult to kill outright makes it much better, as it is far cheaper to restore a unit than build a new one.

2. Darktemplar_L

Darktemplar_L New Member

Bay Area
    I know! Take out all the stupid superunits that steal micro, and there, perfect game. No Thor, no Queen, no mothership. What do we have? Almost no problems... It's just that the fans would be furious if Blizzard takes out all the shiny new superunits for a better game.

3. Vampire

Vampire New Member

Canada
    Well I think they will take out the Mothership/Thor/Queen. First of all Queen is now a defensive unit in the Zerg forces. It's used for early base defenses or setting up new expos. The Thor role is now a anti air ground unit instead of a strong frontal attack mech. The reduced the damage for the ground weps and added air weps so it sorta replaces the turrets. Mothership is sorta a arbiter cept it's in Sc2. I mean if you charge in with 1 Mothership unless the guy a total noob and massed marines only and no other units, you wouldn't be able to destroy their base. At the time I think the Motherships 3 abilitys are "Planet Cracker", "Time Bomb" and "Cloaking Field**" Most of those abilitys are sorta to support units like Zealots and Immortals or for defenses. We all agree Planet Cracker is just pure awesome and you wouldn't want to lose it. I mean who wouldn't want to fry the enemy base to a crisp. :)
    **Idk if it's called Cloaking Field.

4. Can_2

Can_2 New Member

Texas
    Thats why i like Broodwar some of the new units are like heros in warcraft which is meh, I don't mind but it does seem to warcraftish

5. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

Vampire, I think your sources are out of date.

The queen is no longer defensive, except she may be slow off the creep.

The mothership no longer has Planet Cracker, but instead has Vortex (like Black Hole, but just stuns enemy units).

6. Dragon God

Dragon God New Member

Vancouver
    OMG they took out the black hole?
    thats gay even though its totally unballanced,
    they should just give it a statis field and a recall. or just put the arbiter back in. i mean really, they took out all teh badass weapons and gave'em flimsy little "stunners or no major damagers:(

7. wodan46

wodan46 New Member

I fail to see the problem. The Mothership has the following abilities:
    1. The ability to temporarily remove half the enemy's air force from play for a long time, whereupon you slaughter the other half easily, than the first half when it rematerializes.
    2. The ability to cloak all friendly units and buildings while remaining stationary, thus forcing opponents to fight through 400 Shields and 400 HP of air unit before they can even touch your other units.
    3. The ability to create an area in which ground units are disabled and projectile attacks can't hit air units. It can still shoot freely even if in the field, and Void Rays, Colossi, and Nullifiers can all shoot into the slowdown zone as well.
    4. Lastly, the Mothership, for 800 resources, has 400 Shields, 400 HP, and a 64 Damage attack that fires at a normal attack rate. Compare to the Battlecruiser, which costs 700 resources, has 600 HP, and deals 64 Damage at a slow attack rate, about half normal. The Mothership is a decent fighter even without its spells, and with its huge shield banks, can do all sorts of damage, only to retreat and recharge its shields nice and quickly.

8. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    I note, on the subject of the thread in general, Blizzard has mentioned including the giant Thor in the campaign. By the sound of it, they at some point had it bigger than we've ever seen it.

9. Dragon God

Dragon God New Member

Vancouver
    i didnt know it had 64 dmg, dam never mind, i retract that stuff i said earlier.
    but the black hole would still be pretty cool :D

10. wodan46

wodan46 New Member

Let's say a large force of Terran air units approachs the Protoss base, which is defended solely by a Mothership. The Mothership first Recalls the Protoss airforce. It then uses Black Hole, sending a large portion of the Terran fleet out of combat. Lastly, it cloaks every single Protoss Ship, then casts Time Bomb on itself to block enemy fire. All throughout it bombards the enemy with 64 damage per volley at a normal attack rate.

The Mothership is basically a capital ship like the Battlecruiser/Carrier, but which also has the abilities of an Arbiter. Black Hole is Stasis, Summon is Recall, and Cloaking Field is Cloaking Field, though it trades the ability to move while cloaking for the ability to cloak structures. Time Bomb grants yet another trick for it to use, and an excellent defensive one.

Though they might have shifted the abilities again, dunno.

11. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

I cant figure out if they made it so you can only have one for some reason i think i looked at something that said it was unique but i think they where talking about its role? The mother ships role and abilities is alot better they really just need to fix the carrier and the phoenix now.

The thor seems fine now but i haven't seen it in combat yet.

12. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    The Thor is not currently one-per-player.

Most of the complains surrounding the unit have to do with the fact that it is simultaneously a backbone anti-air unit, and heavy support for ground.

13. Ste

Ste New Member

Chicago
    I just wonder how common these super units will be in games with average to pro players.

I can see them being extremely common in newb games, but only appear in pro games the longer they go.

Mothership is to the Thor is to the Zerg queen? right?

14. wodan46

wodan46 New Member

No. For a quick comparison, here is the cost in resources for each:
    Mothership: 800
    Thor: 500
    Queen: 200 (keeps changing though)
    They hardly qualify as being similar. The Mothership is basically a Battlecruiser with Arbiter powers, the Thor is a C&C style Mammoth Tank, and the Queen is a base defense unit. In particular, now that the Hydralisk is Tier 2, the Queen is the only Tier 1 Zerg Unit that can hit air.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  15. Ste

Ste New Member

Chicago
    So what does the zerg have the compares?

16. wodan46

wodan46 New Member

Nothing. Since when were the various sides supposed to be symmetric?

Most expensive units
    Guardian: 400
    Colossus: 500
    Ultralisk: 500
    Carrier: 650
    Battlecruiser: 700
    Mothership: 800

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  17. Vampire

Vampire New Member

Canada
    Zerg were always ment to have cost effective units meaning of course their units will cost less and toss will always have a unit that cost the most.

18. Ste

Ste New Member

Chicago
    Hrmm, I just though all three had some type of super unit...

19. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    none of them can really be viewed as super units now, they have all been nerfed and had their roles refined.

20. PancakeChef

PancakeChef New Member

United States
    Yes, you have to realize that the game is in constantly changed and being re-balanced and not necessarily the final of anything I mean they aren't even into beta stage yet as far as we know.

I personally don't like the idea of super units and all of the races being symmetric. Blizzard has constantly stated they want to work on balancing and diversifying the races and not making them all similar and having equivalents besides having basic mechanic units such as cliff climbers, anti air, etc.

Although I would like to see the Thor as more a huge cossual battle mech type of unit than just a regular sized unit but if its for balance I don't really care. I just want to let Blizzard do their thing and make a good balanaced high quality game that they are known for.