1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What happened to the GIANT THOR

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Dragon God, Dec 2, 2008.

What happened to the GIANT THOR

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Dragon God, Dec 2, 2008.

1. reap_hav_vik

reap_hav_vik Guest

If they take out the thor from the retail game.....well...I might cry. The thor was one of the reasons I was so hyped about the terrans for sc2. That and teh viking. Seriously blizzard, you give all the other races new kickass units and take away our uber awesomeness? WHAT GIVES??

2. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    *looks at each race and notes which units are new compared to each other and notes that the zerg have the least amount of new units*

as for weather i want the old thor back or not, i be on the fence there, it all would have depended on what Blizz would have done with the giant thor

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  3. Vampire

Vampire New Member

Canada
    The old Thor was like a moblie planetary fortress I kinda liked the idea of Thor slowly going into bases and destroying everything with the Artillery Bombardment.

4. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    Artillery bombardment was cool, but i think it was too hard to balance.

The predator would have been awesome and unique if they interception mode worked, i have had no indication that failure in making that mechanic was the problem?

5. Vampire

Vampire New Member

Canada
    maybe cause the missle thing sorta only targeted terrans because Protoss = plasma (something) with exception of interceptors. Zerg don't got anything the shoots missles.

6. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    Phoenixes use ions, mutalisks and corruptors attack could logically with the laser.

I'm sure blizzard would've had it work on ions/glaive wurms/photons/spores for balance reason even it involves a different animation or something.

7. Vampire

Vampire New Member

Canada
    Whatever but it called missile interception. right? so logically it should only intercept missiles.

8. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    But its a game mechanic which would have to balanced to work against all the races.

I know it was gonna work on scourge before they were taken out which would've been cool.

9. Vampire

Vampire New Member

Canada
    yeah that would make the unit *make on sense* because they skill intercepts missiles. second thing is that how to balance it? I mean like how much energy does it cost to intercept each time? unlimited would be unfair but too much energy makes them semi unless.

10. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    I believe it was a mode that let them intercept with a small cooldown between intercepts but they can't attack in interception mode.

11. Vampire

Vampire New Member

Canada
    Does it only stop the attacks of 1 unit or all the units? Cause if a person had like 1 control group would you only need 1 predator or like 12 also?

12. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    thats the problem we know very, very little about it, it might have, it might have not, it might have used energy or it might have not, it might have been expensive, it might be as cheap as a zergling. we dont even know how much food it would have taken up, all we have is the name, it be a flying unit, and its supposed ability to intercept incoming projectiles.

13. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    There's one more thing we know though, you had to switch between normal and intercept mode (or was this just a rumour?). Therefore I think it's very unlikely it also ran on energy (Think Siege Tank or Viking). While in normal mode, it shot units, while in intercept mode, it shot projectiles.

I think one of the problems Blizz ran into was that the speed of projectiles in SC2 can vary immensely. Some units don't even have projectiles at all, and do insta-hit attacks. Maybe Predators had a hard time stopping some projectiles, such as BC lasers, or no chance at all of stopping say a Warp Ray beam, while having an easy time destroying glave wurms before they even have time to start bouncing and deal damage. Possibly a pretty flimsy ability. I would have liked to see it in action though.

14. Zerks

Zerks New Member

with all the talk of a the thor being too small i would like to make a request to see the "new" thor and see how small it really is compared to the old thor.

atm i think the thor is ok as it is now....although there are some problems with it that, in my opinion, not "terrany"

its huge and awesome and deals a lot of damage, but what gets me most is the ability to rpair itself.....i dont like that.

Zerks

15. wodan46

wodan46 New Member

Three things:
    1. The Mothership certainly had no problem blocking projectile attacks with its Time Bomb ability, one of the few tricks its kept. Predator at worst overlaps with that, but its still doable.
    2. In the campaign, you can be sure that the large/siege Thor will make an appearance, because they have already indicated that there will be units/upgrades in campaigns that would be imbalanced/un-needed elsewhere.
    3. The Thor is awesome as it is right now.

Seriously. The Thor has better DPS per Resource than the Carrier against the units that they are both good at taking out, Heavy Ground and Light Air. Furthermore, the Thor's large size and 800 HP makes it the ultimate meat shield and chokepoint blocker. It has better HP for its cost than the basic soldier units for each side, even though the basic units have abnormally good HP to make up for their rapid loss of DPS as they are attacked, and a high vulnerability to AOE attacks. The Thor remains fully operational for 400 HP, then stays alive for another 400.

16. Zerks

Zerks New Member

so basically you only have 400 hp before they become rubble? blegh....

-Zerks

17. wodan46

wodan46 New Member

How is that a problem? It gives the opponent the awesome-tastic choice of either destroying the wreckage and getting wiped out by surviving enemies, or attacking the other enemies and risking that not only do they get destroyed anyway, but the Thors they had dealt all that damage to got put back in working order. If a Thor is blocking a chokepoint, then their wreckage will continue to block the chokepoint and force the enemy to dish out 400 damage to a harmless unit while probably being bombarded by Siege Tank fire they can do nothing about.

That said, 400 HP for 300 Minerals, 200 Vespene is a pretty good deal. While the Archons and Ultralisks get better exchanges, they both have terrible range, and either have difficulty attacking air, or can't at all. The Thor might not be as tough as an Ultralisk, but at least it can't be defeated by a Mutalisk or a Marine standing on a ledge.

18. Zerks

Zerks New Member

when you put it that way it sounds better.

still id rather do away with the rubble and let the thor have 500-600 hps.

-Zerks

19. Vampire

Vampire New Member

Canada
    No I like this idea with the extra rubble so you could use it to block the ramps to your expos if you held position or you could create a smaller entrance which would be strategic.

20. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Having the repair mechanic just for blocking purpouses does not make sense. You can always block said ramp with a simple hold position command. I doubt the Thor differs in size whether it's broken or not.