1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What does the terran army still need?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by DKutrovsky, Jun 16, 2008.

What does the terran army still need?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by DKutrovsky, Jun 16, 2008.

1. ekulio

ekulio New Member

This is a really important discussion I think, especially based on the recent news from WWI that Terran still haven't found their place.

I think the thor should go back to it's original role (minus arty barrage) the best way for it not to overlap with the tank is by making it much slower with a short range and some real damage-soaking abilities. It would almost be more similar to an archon than to a siege tank. Not an archon, just in a similar role. Maybe a MEGA FIREBAT?

I think right now to many terran units are just novelty units. Each one is really "cool," but they don't work together as a cohesive body. I think the jackal is the best example of this. It's cool but where does it belong in the army?

I think maybe Blizzard could pull the jackel and bump the marauder up to the factory. Bring back the medic. There's still a slot in the starport, so either shove the viking there and replace it in the factory (I would love to see either the cobra or mecha-firebat return) or provide something new/bring back the predator.

2. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    I'd nitpick but I have two things off the top of my head.

What's the Thor like right now?
    How are we, the Terran, going to deal with fighting air to air, but whatever we have in the air vs light? The Viking only gets a damage boost against heavy air, right?

3. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Bonus against light armor on the ground and heavy in the air.

4. SOGEKING

SOGEKING New Member

The Thor is funny. Even if Tanks can replace it.

Where does the idea of the Thor come from ? I mean the idea of Blizzard to create this unit.

The Thor is a heavy quick destroyer of structures and armies. Thanks to its "special attack".

Without the special attack ability of the Thor, this unit has no interest

5. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    The terran need added mobility.

6. Well read my post on infantry. It also needs a tank better suited for offense rather than defense.

7. Redlazer

Redlazer New Member

Uh.. The Siege Tank? If you're not using them offensively, then you ought to work on your game a bit! Back to the topic, the Medivac Dropship is a very powerful unit, but it still doesn't cover for the Medic's role, for sure. What they should do in my oppinion is...

► Bring back the Medic.
    ► Bring back the normal Dropship.
    ► Create a mid-tier upgrade which allows Medics inside a Dropship to automatically heal other units inside the Dropship.

8. JacobBlair1

JacobBlair1 New Member

Chandler, AZ
    Less retarded units and hopefully some rocket launchers that would be awesome and a medic better shields they need it

9. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    Jacob be specific, what units are "retarded"?

Rocket launchers? We already have rockets. Banshee and Viking. And we even have rockets for ground and air.
    MediVac Dropship, ohai.
    Better shields...?

10. Earthbjorn

Earthbjorn New Member

I envision the Thor being the ultimate all in one army, having distinct modes of attack much like the siege tank.

- Anti-Air - Thor pulls out a bunch of missle launchers firing 24 gta missles (15 dmg each) in an AoE manner The missles first travel in all directions then lock on to nearest target whether many small or a few large.

- Siege Mode - He bunkers down, installing 4 huge cannons. With each volley there is a massive BABOOM and the ground shakes. The volley makes a high arc off screen and 2 sec later comes down on its 4 target areas doing 100+ damage each.

-Ultra Firebat Mode - Two Massive Flames pour out of his torso crossing in front of him while his arms target enemies with slightly smaller flames. Great for exterminating armies of zerg.

Thor is meant to be all around useful guy, or else he is doomed to follow the path of the mothership. Thor can't have any major weakness against any opponent or else he won't be worth having. His sheer all around superiority is balanced by his bulk, and slow rates of moving, turning, and changing attack modes.

Typical Scenario:
    Mount an attack on zerg base. Zerg Base is in canyon, and thor is perched on cliff. Siege Mode cannons do considerable damage to buildings so zerg send an army to engage Thor. First a group of 12 mutalisks attack. Thor's player sees them coming and puts in a final volley before changing to gta mode.

The Mutalisks get in two attacks before Thor completes the change and fires his gta missles. First volley of missles killls two mut's and injures the rest. The second volley all but wipes them out, and by the third one they are all gone. Meanwhile a support group of hydra's and 'lings have made they're way up the ramp and have began inital assault on Thor. Thor is down 200 HP from the Mut's attack but still has 400 HP left. Thor finishes off the Mut's before changing mode to Flame Mode.

24 'lings surround him and are able to begin pummeling Thor, while a dozen hydra's send waves of spines. it doesn't look good for Thor, down to 250 HP, his armor plating is helping while he completes the transform. Finally he pulls out the flamethrowers sending a spray of flame to envelope the zerg. The flames work fast within seconds the 'lings are decimated and the hydras wounded. Thor taken heavy damage though, his legs give way and his torso crashes to the ground at 150 HP. Thors last hope is a set of machine guns that open from his chest and continue to fire at the remain hydras and the few 'lings. Finally Thor explodes in a cloud of smoke and ash.

This time Thor couldn't take it but next time we'll send two of them ! ! !

11. Earthbjorn

Earthbjorn New Member

Keeping medics and allowing them to heal inside of Dropships does seem like the obvious best answer. But I'd prefer to have StarCraft2 be more distinct from Brood War and change the way medics work entirely.

Why not combine the roles of Sci Vessel, Vulture and Medic. Terran needs strong early game support.

The Medi-bike

--New Medics will ride hoverbikes. Bikes get no attack, but still get speed upgrade ensuring that your medics are Mobile and can get to your front line FAST.

--Medics keep auto-heal

--New AoE Flare temporarily blinds opponents or buildings in area . This means they can even blind spidermines, and defense buildings.

--New Ray-Scan ability detects cloaks in area.

--New Hypo ability temporarily removes all upgrades from target including spells, atk dfs, carapace etc from organic units.

--Surge ability temporarily removes ability to attack from and removes spells from mechanical units.

These are just some ideas to make change medics role somewhat. Not only will they heal units, but they become essential support units.

For balance purposes and to ensure that medic gets used in early game the Medic+bike is built at the factory, but other abilities must be researched.

12. Debono_L

Debono_L New Member

VIC, Australia
    The general impression I got was that we're gonna have to mass Marines and other units. Strength in numbers kinda thing.

I think the medivac dropship is a great idea, but I realise what everyone is getting at. I don't want the medic to come back, not after watching them become target number 1 in BW all th time.

13. JacobBlair1

JacobBlair1 New Member

Chandler, AZ
    Maybe because they dont think for themselves and start to pile up to were the zerg can attack them

14. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

It needs a gay pilot or hero for fun nyahahaha... w/c reminds me of how funny the voice actor was like for the science vessel, he sounded more like a techno-butler

15. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

Every unit needs a counter.

16. Debono_L

Debono_L New Member

VIC, Australia
    Terrans need alot of changes done IMO.

Blizzard got some things right, but they need to add the Terran Stinger from SC Ghost, This Jackal looks like the Dominion paid the Brotherhood of Nod for a Flame tank and a Nod Buggy, and put the two together.

I don't see how making a light, fast vehicle STOP to attack is a smart idea. It would be more effective to ask the UED if they could send some 21st century HUMVEE's from a History of Mankind museum., they would cost less to make too I'm sure.

Or how about the Warthog from Halo? Or maybe an APC? Hell, rip off the flame thrower and chuck some heavy machine gun on it, so it can move while attacking!.

17. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

The terran army needs you! join the marines just dial 666 or send a mail to your local government for application requirements...

"Hell its about time!"

18. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    lol

i always thought an APC wouold be cool, transport infantry faster than a drop ship on the ground...

19. Debono_L

Debono_L New Member

VIC, Australia
    You trying to say that the Terran Dominion is working with Satan or something?

20. sc.rew

sc.rew New Member

One thought about the Jackal: technical setback, lore wise.
    The Vulture and the Cobra both used that hover technology and thus shouldn't have any problem with rough terrain, mines and other stuff on the battlefield.
    And now they use a 4 wheeled buggy? That doesn't make any sense ...

If the terran army wants you to join them they will just visit you, put you into one of there resocialization tanks and you will become their most loyal marine ever. You don't need a phone or anything for that xD