1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What does the colosuss replace?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Gold, May 28, 2007.

What does the colosuss replace?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Gold, May 28, 2007.

1. Inside Sin

Inside Sin Active Member

Earth
    More on Colossus'

Well, heres a few more things i found out about the collosus whilst looking at some screenshots in www.starcraft2.com...

Evidence: http://www.starcraft2.com/screenshot.xml?10

Attackable as air?
    Well, in the screenshot it shows the collosus getting attacked by Turrets, is this just a little add on to the technology of starcraft? I have seen this and thought, maybe they get attacked by things that can only attack air and are actually flying, this explains alot on my other topic about the collosus' attacking air. It looks like colossus gets countered by air, :D Especially ones that can do high damage to air units, they might be able to wipe the collosus out easy.

THIS IS JUST IDEAS

2. Inside Sin

Inside Sin Active Member

Earth
    Re: Colosuss attack air?

Yeah, lol they should be only good against marines and zerglings and sorta zealots.

3. T-man

T-man New Member

Re: More on Colossus'

That is very weird. Excellent observation, however. I checked around a bit to look for any other possible targets those Turrets were shooting at, and couldn't find any. Perhaps this is also part of the "nothing is final" aspect, and they are testing heights and Turret attacks.

4. ShoGun

ShoGun Guest

The banelings probably will have weak hp, making them vunerable against groups of ranged attackers, especially small ones like marines.

5. sordid

sordid New Member

Well, I'm pretty sure those Banelings in the demo vid could only attack ground, which would mean the Colossus is vulnerable to air AND ground attacks. Seems like a major weakness to me, maybe they will be really really good in every other way though...

6. mc2

mc2 New Member

The collosus is similar to archon as pointed out by Ych9. The Archon actually had a range of 3 matrix :)

It's even weirder that it is so tall and yet it cannot attack air...

7. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

i think collusus are tougher on ground units attacking it than air units. those are banelings! they deal high damage ofcourse its a suicidal attack and there were plenty of them.

8. Inside Sin

Inside Sin Active Member

Earth

Lol?
    Banelings aren't only ones who can kill them.

9. gr3ykn1ght

gr3ykn1ght New Member

well, it's interesting... if colloseuses can only hit ground, then they can't really be able to replace anything well, ain't it? blizzard's just providing the protoss with a unit which can easily be destroyed as both an air and ground unit, which is particularly effective as a base defense attacker due to it's range and a ranged support unit. i don't think it'll be fair to actually totally replace any of the protoss units with it.

10. gr3ykn1ght

gr3ykn1ght New Member

um guys, there's already a colloseus thread, although it talks about what the colloseus replaces. and yeah, i kinda noticed the colloseus gets damaged by both air and ground units... anyway, colloseus should just be for ranged support and for destruction of building, i think. since it's so easily destroyed, yet has a effective ranged attack.

11. Gold

Gold New Member

im gonna assume that 3 matrixes is like splash damage, if it is then i ahve to disagree it dosnt seem that the colosus does any damage like that, it just attacks at range with a low powered attack, but it never seems to cooldown

well let me clarify a bit more, maybe the attack isnt low powered, but it will probably do more damage to the armour types that zerglings and other small units have. but i dont see how this is simillar to the archon and if it is, in only the slightest way.

12. Meloku

Meloku New Member

The reason it is vulnerable to air attack is because it can essentially move like an air unit (over cliffs, across gaps.)

of course it cant go in space, but blizzard gave them an interesting advantage, yet disadvantage. Looks like we're playing starcraft alright.

13. Inside Sin

Inside Sin Active Member

Earth

hehehe yeah. Starcraft continues to amaze. Guys, this probally wasn't mentioned in other threads, and i personally hate a thread that says something about a SC2 unit REPLACING a sc1 unit. Just not into my liking.

I also posted a thread about them not attacking air.

14. Inside Sin

Inside Sin Active Member

Earth
    I think the collosus closest reseblence is reaver, cause they can take down lots of small units and also do damage to buildings. BUT don't keep trying to think they replace units from starcraft 1

15. Gold

Gold New Member

i nkow maybe you dont agree,
    but that is more or less what there doing, if you could elaborate more on why you dont like people saying replace, then i would understand better

16. Inside Sin

Inside Sin Active Member

Earth
    Well, they said they were creating a new game with 3D and a new enviroment, but the story and place doesn't really change, so all units are diffrent in MANY ways, even the probe.

They do not replace each other, becuas ethey are thinking of a new fighting tactics and new skills to use.

17. Gold

Gold New Member

becuase they said they will keep the same amount of units from starcraft1, some will get a facelift, others wont be returning, i dont actually have that as a qoute on me, so it is paraphrased slightly.

i can see what you mean, none of this actually means any units are being replaced, they jsut may not be returning.

when you look at the roles of these new units, and you count how many spaces are left in the army then you start to see a pattern.

this process makes the game entirely new, with new stratagies and tactices and so forth, but it seems to be built off how the first game ran.

all of this is jsut here say and conjecture, but more than likely.

18. Inside Sin

Inside Sin Active Member

Earth
    True, kk. I guess your right.

But still, it pisses me off a bit when people assume things ARE replacing something or ARE definatly coming back. When we havent even seen any proof basically.

19. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Well, we know the Dragoons are gone. That's basically it, for for sure removed units.....Yes, the "for for" is grammatically correct.

20. Inside Sin

Inside Sin Active Member

Earth
    You don't fully know that for sure. They could be in the Story line. Or they might change the units in the game :)

Everything could be changed, so nothing is confirmed :D