1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What does the colosuss replace?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Gold, May 28, 2007.

What does the colosuss replace?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Gold, May 28, 2007.

1. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

nah, the collusus did not replace the reaver. if you watch the artwork of SC2 from blizzard u will see the artwork of collusus together with reavers. below the collossus are the reavers. check it out clearly. ive seen the reavers, they will be back ;D

2. NotDeadYet

NotDeadYet New Member

No, the Mothership cannot replace the Carrier, because Blizzard has said that the Terrans and Zerg will not get a mothership-like unit (Though, of course, they will get something for balancing purposes). This means that they will NOT lose old units in exchange for their super-ability. So, if the Protoss lose a unit in exchange for the Mothership, they have one less unit than the other races.

zeratul11 - Just because something is shown in artwork does not mean it will be in the game.

I personally think there is a good chance of the Colossus replacing the Reaver. They both are big, destructive, don't have an air attack, and are good against swarms of weak units. I bet the Colossus is also good against buildings (Like the reaver), but the demo only showed Colossi attack zerglings.

3. Gold

Gold New Member

Actually i think the colosus is moderate against buildings, personallly i believe the warpray replaces the carriers role as a flyier, and replaces the reavers role as seige, the colosus also replaces the reavers ability to kill multiple units, and the carriers ability to attack at long range.

o and here is zereatul11's picture

4. reject_666_6

reject_666_6 New Member

Yes, sadly they have split up the Carrier's characteristics and distributed them among most of the new units, so that a good combination of units is supposed to be as strong as a fleet of Carriers... We'll miss you!!! :'(

:bigcry:

5. Gold

Gold New Member

it all makes sence logically, but blizzard might not be thinking that way.
    we shall see when we get the full unit set.

6. TheDarkTemplar

TheDarkTemplar New Member

I'm pretty sure they are thinking that way. Recall, in a way, has gone to Phase Prisms. That's just one example.

7. Gold

Gold New Member

i cant wait until they release the zerg set, but i dont think that will be any time soon
    the game was in such a demo state, it was "just" playable.
    The video was pre recorded, and then the announcer reads his script over it and the music plays and the talking heads are on seperate tracks.
    notice how all the portaraits are the zealot portrait, the probe, or the mothership
    Or how in the final fight the mothership dosnt do a single thing.
    infact they must have just written the script for it, selected the units, and then fleshed them out so its presentable, it still looks awsome though

8. GuiMontag

GuiMontag New Member

ye i agree that the demo was 'just' playable, I wouldnt be surprised if half the stuff we saw ends up changing.
    In a video interview blizzard said that they started by putting all the units from starcraft on their new engine and then adding new units and taking SOME out, blizzard has never said that for every new unit one will be replaced and i expect that we will see atleast 1 additional air and ground unit for each race

9. Whatsifsowhatsit

Whatsifsowhatsit New Member

Kaatsheuvel, Netherlands
    They did say there would be the same amount of unit types for each race...

10. CarriersMustReturn

CarriersMustReturn New Member

NO, NO, NO!!!!!!

CARRIERS. MUST. FREAKING. RETURN. :upset: :upset:

11. Pix

Pix New Member

I think that's why Blizzard removed the Carrier and added the Mothership - to provide a different late game alternative than massed Carriers, and to get rid of their all-rounded power. Instead of simply smashing the enemy to peices like before, the Protoss now have to use some skill - just like the Zerg and Terrans had to in Starcraft Origional and Expansion.
    Meh, 'tis just my opinion - and it's subject to change. My perspective, anyway =)
    ~Pix~

12. GuiMontag

GuiMontag New Member

they actually said there would be roughly the same amount as in the original

13. Ych

Ych New Member

Does anyone think that the Collossus is kind of like the Archons?
    Think about it, their attack seems soo similar to the Archons. Only difference is that Archons can hit air units, while the Collossus has a range attack. And I'm not sure if the Collossus is going to be effective vs buildings either. If they aren't, I expect the Reavers to make a full comeback.

14. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    Blizzard would have a hard time explaining why, even though the player can build High Templar, they can no longer merge them into an Archon.

15. reject_666_6

reject_666_6 New Member

Well the Colossus seems to use continuous lasers kinda link Warp Rays do, so it'll probably have at least SOME power vs buildings.

16. Gold

Gold New Member

you see in the art work trailer, the colosuss and the immortals go up a cliff to a terran position
    and colosus start attacking the missle turrets, personaly i think there moderate vs buildings, whislt the warp ray is super excelant.

17. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    Re: Colosuss attack air?

as weve seen the Protoss are super powerfull i think that balancing is done with this and keeps it at a support unit rather than a destroy-your-whole-base unit

18. Meloku

Meloku New Member

The colossus cannot attack air, but since it is so tall, it can be shot by air attacks, such as missile turrets.

As far as the mothership attack is concerned, its damage is spread out to all nearby targets, kinda like battleships from warcraft 3.

19. T-man

T-man New Member

This is a great feature, but it will be very interesting to see how it is implemented control wise. I have often wondered why huge ships, such as BCs and Carriers (which have even more justification to be able to multi-target) were so rigidly limited to one target. I am sure that some Terran engineer or another would have thought of mounting more than that one single laser, I mean, there are no modern ships of that mass with a single gun. Especially a single fixed gun. The technology should be more advanced by then, and it was refreshing to see a multi-targetable ship. If we extrapolate the awesome power of the WCIII editor and its ability to create and modify attacks to SC2, it gives map makers the ability to give multi-target to other massive stations of war.

20. coalescence

coalescence New Member

I bet they all actually can, but it would be unbalanced, they would;

1: be every overpowered and expensive
    2: have much weak attacks, and nobody needs a unit who spreads much weaks attack. Force fire ftw ;D