1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What does the colosuss replace?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Gold, May 28, 2007.

What does the colosuss replace?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Gold, May 28, 2007.

1. Khalarius

Khalarius New Member

reject, I smell a Carrier

2. reject_666_6

reject_666_6 New Member

:) You thinkin' what I'm thinkin'?

3. Whatsifsowhatsit

Whatsifsowhatsit New Member

Kaatsheuvel, Netherlands
    I don't like it either... but I think they said somewhere in an interview that they will have as many units in SC2 as in SC1, so for each new unit that's add in, another one gets taken out... I'm pretty sure.. (EDIT: ya, see quoted post at the top)

They said it's to make the developers, who have also given their hearts to some of these units, work harder to make each unit be really useful so they don't end up with a lot of units that don't fit in so great with the general feel and strategy of the new game, and will thus end up with a better game...

I think it sucks though... let them make a good game with new units AS WELL as ALL the old units! =P So they'll have to spend some longer on the balancing (though that'd be aweful in itself), it's not as important as the survival of the units! To me anyway.

4. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    It's be nice if you gave us a link to that article. Maintain the same number of units is not an unreasonable claim, but I do like to see sources when people state things as fact.

5. Whatsifsowhatsit

Whatsifsowhatsit New Member

Kaatsheuvel, Netherlands
    Yea yea yea... here it is =) http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/starcraft-2/790195p2.html

"One of the most surprising revelations in the team's presentation was that StarCraft II will have the same number of units as the original game. That means that for every new unit added to a sides' army, one had to come out. Apparently the team did this for both gameplay and design reasons. Limiting the number of units forced the team to focus on exactly what each unit was expected to do and why it should be there. There were some iconic units like the Zealots, Marines and Zerglings that no one could imagine the game without, but there were other calls that were apparently quite painful to make. Pardo seems to feel that forcing the team to make these painful choices will result in a better game by avoiding extraneous units that never get used."

^ And there's the quote ... it's page two of the article so if you want to read it entirely go a page back first.

6. TheDarkTemplar

TheDarkTemplar New Member

I'm pretty sure it's counted as a whole new unit and, as painful as it will be, that means bye bye Carriers!

7. reject_666_6

reject_666_6 New Member

I smell angry letters to Blizz for this! :mad:

Either that or them being included in the Expansion for some reason. :eek:

8. Inside Sin

Inside Sin Active Member

Earth
    Colosuss attack air?

Do you think the collosus can attack air??

Either i can't remember or it didn't show in the 'DEMO'.

9. Gold

Gold New Member

Re: Colosuss attack air?

no probably not, and in the demo the guy says that colosussus are weak to air, then it gets blown up by a hundred mutalisks

10. Inside Sin

Inside Sin Active Member

Earth

heh, yeah. They should be able to attack air though, just SUPER weak, like a marine slowly.

11. coalescence

coalescence New Member

The mighty protoss scientists thought of a way not to be overpowerfull, so they developed the collosus.

12. l2k

l2k New Member

If you watch the gameplay (10:05 - 10:12), the colossus seems unable to attack the mutalisks. And towards the end (before the nukes were launched), I can't recall if the colossus has attacked any air units... So i assume it can't attack air units.

13. TheDarkTemplar

TheDarkTemplar New Member

Considering it's height, that kinda sucks, but I assume Immortals and Stalkers can attack air?

14. reject_666_6

reject_666_6 New Member

^ That's a good question. I'm not sure whether Stalkers actually attack air, but I sure hope so.

15. Seth_Almighty

Seth_Almighty New Member

The Colossus has slow moving lasers, so it kind of makes sense for it to not be able to fire at air (they are also pointed <0 degree angle as well), but it would be nice if they had small turrets or something so they could lightly damage air as to not be completely vulnerable. I mean they definitly have enough room on them to add some little guns.

Also stalkers CAN attack air as you can see in the Demo. I believe it is around 18:20 or so and the botttom stalker is shooting the bottom BC. (unless I am mistaken which I highly doubt)

16. coalescence

coalescence New Member

Yes, thats very true. Flying units aren't fast in the game but normally they would be fast. It's normal logic put into game logic (while its actually not logical in the game :D)

17. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast

So far the colossus and the immortal do not appear to be able to attack air. There is also no evidence of reapers being able to attack air, I believe reapers will have ground attack only to further distinguish them from marines.

Phoenix and stalker can attack both air and ground. If u look at the UI when a stalker is selected, where unit upgrades(attack, armor, shield) are shown, the stalker actually shows two weapons. Presumably one for air attack and one for ground.

And while I'm on this subject, the Mothership can attack multiple targets simultaneously. Although I'm sure most people if not all probably have noticed by now.

18. reject_666_6

reject_666_6 New Member

If they do not make the Colossus attack air, I'm sure they'll give it more life or something to offset this. We just have to wait and see the miraculous balancing Blizz'll pull off.

19. Inside Sin

Inside Sin Active Member

Earth

Lol. Yeah nice ideas guys, i guess if they have that thing. They would not be able to maneuver it around to face up. :)

20. coalescence

coalescence New Member

Don't you think they already have enough? :p In the footage they have like 325 Shields and 400 Hitpoints