Warning for sensor domes and ghosts?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by leealvin1984, Apr 14, 2008.

Warning for sensor domes and ghosts?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by leealvin1984, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    First of all. Terran should be priviliged to detect units outside the fog of war. To be notified simply highlights your inability to pay attention to the mini map, another thing which would detract from skill.
    So hopefully there is no obvious warning message saying that it has detected units.

2. leealvin1984

leealvin1984 New Member

yeah i guess you're right psionicz. hehehehe. it does highlight the inablity to pay attention to the mini map. and any skilled/pro player don't need a warning of some sort. all players should have keen observing skills.

its just an idea anyway. all of you guys have good point of views. guess the current build is fair enough. =) thanks big dudes.

3. SOGEKING

SOGEKING New Member

The ghost should get an option (not an upgrade) that would allow him to warn him once he enters inside the sight of an anti-cloaked unit or structure.

That could be a sound alert, or a visual one.

For instance once the cloaked ghost enteres inside the sight of the nomad there could be a sound alert by the Command Center, or maybe (and it is better) the ghost himself can say "warning, I will be detected", or "oops ! ....(something else)". There can be 3 or 5 ways of warning us that he is detected.

4. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Yet again man that makes it automated. Why do all of you want the cpu to do everything for you. If you get owned by the Nomad's detection its your fault for not looking on your screen because the Ghost can detect units with energy.
    Is it that hard to know you've been detected?

Ps. If you get detected by Terran you'd probably get blasted by a Tank anyway.

5. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    How is giving you a visual warning of your ghost being detected automation?

6. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Is it really that hard to know you've been spotted. When you go into an enemies base its kinda evident theres a chance of getting detected. It makes it too easy to bail out when a big message comes up telling us we are idiots and theres a detector around since the Ghost can detect it before they detect the Ghost.

7. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    How on earth will the Ghost be able to detect all detectors? Only the Nomad and Survaillance Station uses energy, and the latter is 99 % of the time far away from where it temporarily detects.

Anyways, I am against the Ghost-Been-Detected message but the Sensor Tower warning is crucial, you can not always keep your eyes on the minimap.

8. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    I think a visual representation of detection and fire ranges would be nice.

You won't get a ghost detected message but if your ghost spots a detector then a circle will be drawn showing its detection range

9. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    We can pretty much learn the detection ranges as we did in Sc1. But I'm sure a little icon will appear on the screen showing the units/buildings with energy.

@GMG, I could have sworm BoP had something about Nomads detecting the Ghost, which is why I responded with that since it was a scenario to be speculated upon.
    Also, you can know the detectors locations before you move the Ghost in since Terran can scan.

10. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    You should atleast be able to see your OWN buildings' (and perhaps units') detection range, so that your structure placement can be somewhat tactical when trying to cover as much ground as possible, at key locations.

11. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Is this a new topic of discussion or are you refering to the Sensor Dome's extra detection range indicator?
    If so, we can already see what the radius of their fog of war detection range is, refer to the videos showcasing Terran.

12. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    I am just saying that not only the Sensor Tower (not Dome) should have a viewable detection range. Turrets, Cannons etc. should also have it.

And I didn't feel like creating a whole new topic just to say that. Maybe next time.

13. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    That eliminates that learning curve of building placement tho, another aspect added to the automation of Sc2. It wasn't a problem in Sc1 so theres no need to fix what isn't broken. I mean before Starcraft, I played Starwars battlegrounds. And shields had a visual indication of the range, when I changed to Sc1 which is entierly different, I was all like ''wtf wheres the range indicators'', but of course it didn't take long to get accustomed to the ranges. I think it will be the same in Sc2.

14. Darktemplar_L

Darktemplar_L New Member

Bay Area
    That is kind of overly cheap... I don't like how they are making everything about sight range and detectability. They even put an entirely new neutral building just for detection... That's kind of on the Warcraft III side with the ?laboratories? with the 50 gold cost of seeing someplace. And, the Overseer (is it overseer for orcs hero?)with farsight. I don't like abilities that give you vision in a place you haven't seen yet and all the unit has to do is use energy or just sit there and do nothing. The scanner sweep in Starcraft was fine because it made the Terrans a unique race...

15. BloodHawk

BloodHawk Member

CT, USA
    I agree that an audio warning would have great potential of being annoying and is certainly lazy.

If you do that you might as well add a sound file for every time you spot even an uncloaked unit. They're a threat all them same and probably have a hell of a lot more HP than anything cloaked.

Does the ghost detect a unit even when its out of energy? Or considering it'll regen to 1 energy quick enough maybe they shouldn't detect units that don't have enough energy to cast a spell. It could make for some cool strats.
    A zerg player could grab a few infestors low on mana, sneak into a Terran base (that doesn't have proper traditional detection) and wait until that very moment when then infestors can start causing trouble.

16. CyberPitz

CyberPitz New Member

I guess I'm weird, but I think that having an audio beep or voice or something telling you there is an infiltrator spotted would suck, as you lose the ability to sneak in someones base if they weren't paying full attention *in a battle*. Then again, I'm one of those sneaky assholes that does that type of thing, so that might explain my biasedness.

I do like the idea, in general. Would help people who aren't a pro gamer or something to be able to get to a spot faster before the location gets overrun, instead of finding out about it after the enemy as already taken over that position.

17. Ensomgrav

Ensomgrav New Member

If there was an audio system, it should only be installed after a few different upgrades, upgrades that cost a pretty penny.