1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viking

Discussion in 'Terran' started by DKutrovsky, Jul 22, 2007.

?

What kind of ground attack is the best for the viking?

1. The one it has now.

66.7%
  2. fast rate, low damage

33.3%
  3. small minigun-style splash

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Viking

Discussion in 'Terran' started by DKutrovsky, Jul 22, 2007.

1. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

i think vikings will be the most spam terran unit in starcraft 2. obviously. poor thor and battlecruisers. =\ i hope viking have true weakness.

2. Ghost

Ghost New Member

I agree, I also think that the transformation might take time like the siege transformation.

3. Indigent

Indigent New Member

Lol you basicly restated what he just said. Really thought, I don't think vikings are all that. You have only known that it can change into walker and fighter jet. What about it's health? Maybe it has super slow turn rate or fireing rate when in walker mode. Or that it is going to be worth more then the trouble. With seidge tank all it is doing is pushing out a really long cannon and shoving out 2 legs or what ever. With the viking it is changing from a walker to a a fighter. I think it is going to take more then 2 seconds. Has anyone thought of this? Before I thought it was going to be cool too but thought about all the other stuff.

Please do not flame me I am only saying what I think.

4. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

sure. i posted some time ago that the transformation of viking should be like 4-5 seconds.and yes 2 seconds is imba.

how about this? vikings in air mode has low armor or is easily killed by ground units and structures while viking in mech mode can easily be killed by air units. so like you need to switch to air form if you are facing air units and vice versa but if you are facing mix enemy units(ground and air) that would be the vikings weakness. or maybe not? ^^

5. burkid

burkid New Member

actually, its the similar opposite of what you said zer.

ground form has AA attack similar to goliaths making it effective vs air, and gatling guns to make it effective vs weak ground. stronger ground units would be more effective against the viking as it loses a larger percentage of damage to armor.

air form only has an air attack, but has increased armor, so it would be harder to take down by air superiority, but more easily taken down by ground units or air that deal heavier damage.

6. Indigent

Indigent New Member

??? What?? Vikings use use a gatling guns to obliderate marines and missles to blast mutualisks into the next dimention. Walker mode can only attack ground units not air. Fighter mode can only shoot missles. Before you research Flyer Mode, it is completely useless against air units. You must be thinking of Thors. They have long range artillary and a little damage against air.

7. TheOneInPower

TheOneInPower New Member

If you think about it in terms of balance, it would make the most sence that the Viking is a very expendable unit. Terran already have lots of heavy duty units, thor, battlecruiser, etc., they would need a light, cheap, (maybe slightly weak?), and easily massable unit.

Sounds like they need another air unit, though. A little lacking on the air front, yeah?

8. Ghost

Ghost New Member

Marines are massable, cheap and basically meat shields in late-game. I hope the viking is yet another heavy assault unit, terrans cant have enought of these.

9. burkid

burkid New Member

no, im not thinking of thors. vikings ground form is a direct replacement of the goliath, including both GTG and GTA attacks. when it goes to flying form, it loses the ground attack but gains armor.

10. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

the mech form of the viking has GTA too? how did you know that?

now that would make the fighter form kinda useless assuming if the GTA attack of the mech form is stronger than the fighter form. Viking(air) will be mostly use for transport or to get on certain places(ex. cliffs) easily. and the armor of viking fighter will be use as a secondary option because in mech form you can kill enemy air units quickly and tanking(air form) will be often use(maybe against bc). hhmm..

11. burkid

burkid New Member

it said so in one of the articles. and also said that air form has higher armor. also, if you look at a picture of a viking, in land form you can see gatling guns on the arms and missile pods mounted on the shoulders, while in air form you can only see missile pods.

i would assume that both air and lands air attack do the same damage, if not more in air form.

12. Indigent

Indigent New Member

Well, I really don't know what to think now. I already knew that you get higher armor for the fighter. I did not know about the GTA thing though. Can someone clear this up for us...?????

13. burkid

burkid New Member

i just did. vikings get an air attack in ground form.

14. Indigent

Indigent New Member

I meant someone else that isn't us. So anyone else...? I don't mean to pick a fight I am just really convinced that walkers can't attack air.

15. burkid

burkid New Member

thats fair enough.

16. capthavic

capthavic New Member

Now that the viking has been updated on the site can see it in action, what do you think? I think the transform animation is great!

This is gonna be my favorite unit in SC2 ;D

(Sorry if this is in the wrong place or done already)

17. Lemmy

Lemmy New Member

They are the best terran unit ive seen so far. So versatile and cool. Terrans can now harass workers with reapers, vikings, thor barrage, dropships, tanks, banshees...

18. JudicatorPrime

JudicatorPrime New Member

Sit on its shoulders while it transformers... and be one.

19. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Iam probably in love too. I cant help it, but my eyes turns into little <3 when I see gatlingguns.

20. Indigent

Indigent New Member

For me they seem like the terran equvilance to a stalker. It is a light all terran (that can be walked on) unit that is not really that strong.
    I just thought of something. If you didnt research fighter mode yet, do you think you could load a viking into a drop ship? The new drop ship can carry less though. Only a siege tank, or 4 infantry. That is all I know right now.