1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viking

Discussion in 'Terran' started by DKutrovsky, Jul 22, 2007.

?

What kind of ground attack is the best for the viking?

1. The one it has now.

66.7%
  2. fast rate, low damage

33.3%
  3. small minigun-style splash

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Viking

Discussion in 'Terran' started by DKutrovsky, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Unentschieden

Unentschieden New Member

I prefer the targeted Battlecruiser Barrage over the Motherships wannabe AoE personally. Units in SC don´t loose any firepower when damaged, so it is better to focus fire down the units one after the other.

2. Protosscommander

Protosscommander New Member

Am i true if i will say that the weapons of the Terran Vikings is similar to the Terran Goliath ??? :)

3. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

no, the ag attack is some sort of plasma shotgun :upset:

4. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    The Viking lookwise has two chain guns for arms.

But I find the ground form is the Goliath GTG, just better.
    I found with some backup by Marines, Medics, and SCVs, Goliaths could help them hold their ground very well. Now I think Vikings supporting Marines and Medics will be excellent.

5. FantasyBlade

FantasyBlade New Member

Viking Discussion

hi im new and have joined this forum to share my passion for SC! this topic is made to discuss all about the Viking unit (easier to go through the posts).

Appears that the new viking unit is created to replace both wraith and goliaths, was excited initially but now im concerned about the actual effectiveness of the unit. Like all versatile unit, im expecting the viking to be average on its firepower and hp. Able to transform from a AtA to a GtG only means it is able to counter air to ground or ground to air units, but what about units who can shoot both air and ground?
    Correct me if im wrong, of all the clips i've seen for terrans, the viking can only take on "helpless" targets or capital-class aircraft targets. Good for running away and disabling air defenses, i think it is good only in a few and let the actual tanks and aircrafts do the fighting . What are your thoughts?

6. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Re: Viking Discussion

Just to clarify, the Viking may take over some of the Wraith's and Goliath's roles, but it isn't their direct replacement. Wraiths main role was for Air-to-Air which is obviously like the Air Form of the Viking, but it was also able to Cloack and attack Ground units from the safety of the sky. The Goliath's main role was for taking out large Air units. It dealt explosive damage, meaning it did less to smaller units. The Ground Form of the Viking is quite the opposite because it has a damage bonus to light units instead.
    The Ground Form of the Viking is now also able to attack Air targets.
    About units that can attack both Ground and Air targets, if it's a Ground target, like a Hydralisk or Marine, then the Viking would have to be in its ground form, but if the unit's in the Air, like a Battlecruiser or Mutalisk, the Viking has a choice. If it's an Armoured Air target, like the Battlecruiser, the Viking would be more effective if the Viking was in its Air Form, because its Air-to-Air attack is more effective against capital ships. If it's a Light Air target, like the Mutalisk, the Viking would better off in its Ground Form, because it would get its damage bonus to Light targets.
    It's definitely not just good for running and disabling air defences. It has its strengths and weaknesses, just like any other unit in StarCraft2. In Ground Form its strong against any Light targets but its weak are against Armoured ones, and in Air Form its strong against capital ships, and weak against Ground-to-Air units or swarmed Air targets, but to combat swarmed Air targets it can simply switch back into its Ground Form.

7. BinaryBanshee

BinaryBanshee New Member

Welcome to the forum FantasyBlade.

I disagree. The Viking's best side comes out when used tactically. If it is attacked by massed melee ground units it can use it's ability to lift off combined with good micro to continually harass and kill the ground units. It may appear weak head to head when doing this but it can actually be unbeatable, for example killing zealots this way. Against zerglings it would be very powerful and can lift off if it's about to be overrun or facing banelings.

Used properly Vikings could be the best anti-melee unit.

8. FantasyBlade

FantasyBlade New Member

cool! good to hear that viking is still able to hit air in ground form, if only they could still hit ground in air form, but that would be asking for the world isnt it :X
    comes the question of it's ground capabilities, does it fair well enough against something like a Hydralisk or a Mutalisk? considering the probable cost of vikings and hydralisk, hydralisks should be able to outswarm vikings, would be a shame if a viking cant win hydralisk at least in a 1v1. (strictly comparing capabilities, not tactics)

9. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland

I don't think so, unless you have cliffs you could jump up and down from how are they going to kill zealots? It takes some time to lift off and land and Zealots are fast enough to keep up with them and attack when vikings can't move (i.e. while changing forms)

10. BinaryBanshee

BinaryBanshee New Member

My impression was that it only takes a couple of seconds to transform between modes. Unless Zealot's are using Charge (which has a cooldown) I don't see why they can't do some damage, lift off, land a bit later behind the Zealots, fire at them, lift off again etc. Use of the terrain like cliffs as you mentioned would make this easier. The Achilles heel would be stalkers who can fire at Vikings in air mode and follow them around using blink.

Now the Viking can fire at air whilst in ground mode they also make great mobile air defence for tank emplacements.

I really like the Viking I think it's going to be one of the best units in the game.

11. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland

I guess it comes down to how fast are both units. If vikings are faster than zealots this oculd be doable, but if there's not much difference it may not be worth it.

12. BinaryBanshee

BinaryBanshee New Member

Range might play a part too. If Vikings have a long firing range they can get in a fair bit of damage before the Zealots come close enough for them to need to lift off.

13. Spacechick

Spacechick New Member

and i think when you hit tranform button the viking become "invulnerable" until it become air mode,so if you fast enough i think zealot dont stand a change

14. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia

It wouldn't be good to have them able to attack anything from anywhere. That's not their purpose. They are versatile, but aren't, and shouldn't be able to cover anything. In Air Form they have an attack that's most effective against Armoured targets, and in Ground Form they have an attack that's most effective against Light targets. If they were both Air-to-All and Ground-to-All, it would mean that they are far too multi-purpose and either cost a fortune or have next to no health or attack.
    Vikings have more health than Mutalisks, costs fifty less gas, and their Ground-to-Air attack deals more damage. In a one versus one, I'd say the Viking would win. Vikings also have more health than the Hydralisks, cost the same, and deal more damage, so again, in a one versus one, the Viking would win.
    @ BinaryBanshee. By the time you've lifted off, flown out of range and landed, the Zealots would have probably regenerated most of the health they lost. Unless you're going around with ten Vikings so you can destroy a Zealot in one wave of attacks, I'd say this has a pretty inefficient micro-to-result ratio. You'd be better off just standing an fighting, only transforming when a Viking is about to die.
    @ Spacechick. I think that Vikings will take damage while transforming. Buildings still take damage when they lift off and Siege Tanks still take damage when changing Modes, so the Viking probably will as well. It's part of the weakness of the unit, constant changing leaves them open to attacks.

15. BinaryBanshee

BinaryBanshee New Member

Viking should also be a good counter for a lot units where you wouldn't think it would have an application. As colossus can be hit by turrets can it be hit by vikings in air mode? If so then another :good: for vikings.
    I believe the corrupter only infects air units? Again the viking can attack then transform to interupt the corrupter effects before microing to attack again.

It's really going to become the mainstay of the Terran unless you're a big fan of M&M.

16. FantasyBlade

FantasyBlade New Member

yea Meee is right, rather than wasting time microing the vikings just to kill zealots, y not spend the time getting a cobra or banshee, though it does sound plausible. but anyhow zealots cant kill vikings on their own and i agree tats the beauty of transforming.

but still enemy ain gonna just get zealots, and our army aint gonna just be vikings. if used incorrectly or the viking's dmg is just too low, most likely its either the vikings fly off, leaving the infantries to get slaughtered by zealots, or get shot down by the new dragoons (ancients was it?). if thats the case, i fear that the vikings might just be an AA that may or may not help out in ground assaults. THAT, of course IF the viking ground dmg is weaker than 1.5 marines combined. would be a whole different story if the ground dmg is good, around 2 or 3 marines.

Cool! tats wat i wanted to hear! one question tho where did you find out the dmg and hp for the unit?? i wanna know! ;D

17. FantasyBlade

FantasyBlade New Member

holy fuck! i remember colossus is the land unit that can walk up cliff, are you saying that the missile turret can shoot it?!!?!

and yea im a big fan of marines, bats and medic rush :)adding a little arclite to spice things up :good:

18. BinaryBanshee

BinaryBanshee New Member

Yes, as far as I am aware because it is so tall missile turrets can fire at it and I think air to air can hit it. That's one of it's weaknesses.

19. FantasyBlade

FantasyBlade New Member

however, a point to highlight is that without a proper AtA unit against light air units, wouldnt that make the terran air force weaker, say if the vikings are unable to land? (like water or trees or a horde of zerglings waiting to tear them up :))

20. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia

^ hey bro dont double post. tahts agains the forum rules =]
    see the edit button? you can use that to edit your posts.

itza, are you sure a viking can kill a hydralisk? atm...i think its an even match. A hydralisk became a tier 2.5? well, a higher tier unit. how can you be so sure that a viking can kill a hydra in a 1v1?

did you see the hydra gameplay in sc2.com, how only about 7 hydralisk owned a BC?....loll