1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viking

Discussion in 'Terran' started by DKutrovsky, Jul 22, 2007.

?

What kind of ground attack is the best for the viking?

1. The one it has now.

66.7%
  2. fast rate, low damage

33.3%
  3. small minigun-style splash

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Viking

Discussion in 'Terran' started by DKutrovsky, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Drafter

Drafter New Member

I like Viking the way they are right now.

2. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

agreed.

3. Drafter

Drafter New Member

W00t someone agrees...I'm starting to like this guy(not in a homo way).

4. eskudero

eskudero New Member

does anybody know how many damage do the missiles on the viking fighter do?and what amount of bonus damage does it have against heavy armored ships like carrier or battlecruisers?
    i guess it will be something similar to what wraiths had,but after seeing the demo and watching the huge amount of vikings needed to kill a battlecruiser in one volley(even considering its a direct counter) im beginning to think it might be much lower.your guess?

5. drdre

drdre New Member

I am interested in knowing this too.. I love terrains.. and plan on playing them mostly when SC2 comes out..

my guess is that it would be some what along the same lines as the Goliaths..... to make it the same power as wraiths isnt going to be nice thou :( .. took alot of wraiths to kill 1 bc in SC1 :(

6. Inpox

Inpox New Member

Hmm with bonus damage against heavly armored targets i would guess thier damage to be something between 30-40. it was about 10 vikings to instant kill a Battlecruiser. anyway vikings air attack is going to be good + vikings are cheap = great unit :good:

7. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    yeah, it´s gonna be easy to mass with the reactor add-on(Marines too by the way) so getting that battlecruiser-counter will be cheap and FAST.

8. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    Vikings are my favorite unit right now.

I'm glad they're Tier 2 first but you have to research the aerial form. Does this happen in Tier 2 still or do you have to hop up to 3?

9. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    I think you can research that right away, just like siege mode. It just requires that add-on. ( i only remember the reactors name... what is the other one called?)

10. eskudero

eskudero New Member

dont think so.there were way more than 10 vikings to kill a single battlecruiser in a volley,plus you have to add that those 15-20 vikings have a bonus in his normal attack when atacking battle cruisers and to that you have to add that those battlecruisers were already damaged by turrets.

from what i have said,i expect them to have from 10 to 155 damage per volley, and maybe 20 with the bonus if they atttack capital ships.thats way too low IMO,but as you said the unit is cheap so it might be balanced. i still expected something similar to 20 normal damage,but its just guessing.

11. Inpox

Inpox New Member

Well its very cheap, if i remember right its only about 125 minerals and a few gas. and btw when i look it was about 14 vikings, didnt count exactly but i still think the damage is about 40 with bonus because i heard that bc's got more health now

12. eskudero

eskudero New Member

yes it is very cheap,from what we know its 125 minerals and 50 gas,but 40 is too much of an attack. battle cruisers had before 500 hp more or less.well,imagine that they have maximum now 1000 hp (i think its way too high),and also considering that most of the attack and hitpoints value remain the same or pretty similar, (for example turrets have a dual 10 attack = 20,the same in previous SC,so you can imagine that in consecuence hit points in aircrafts wont be very diffenrent as they were).

then lets consider this:
    just saw the video,and made some considerations:
    first,16 vikings shoot at the same time to a battle cruiser that stayed for a little bit of time under bunker fire,meaning that something similar to 100 hp were taken from him.thats to say,if we take in consideration (also speculation) that a battle cruiser has roughly from 500 to 1000 hit points,the BC would have now from 400 to 900 hitpoints.

then,those 16 vikings shoot at the same time for 2 volleys,meaning that the amount of damage inflicted by them varies between 200 and 450 per volley.if you divide this by 16 you get that the attack of each viking including the BONUS is in the range of 12.5 - 28. those are not really impressive numbers,considering that the bonus will be significant.

note that this is just a vast aproximation,not exact at all as i havent taken in account the armor of the battlecruiser or even if some missiles of the vikings were useless because they shoot simultaneously.

seeing this results i suppose that the viking anti-air attack will approximately be 15,without the bonus.its not really high but also the unit is not very expensive,so i supose its more or less balanced.

13. Inpox

Inpox New Member

Ahaa was it two volleys must have missed that. well you see i was thinking of something like that but instead with ONE volley.

14. SOGEKING

SOGEKING New Member

Transform ....

and Roll out !

15. Lemmy

Lemmy New Member

You know, in SC 1 the early units were marines and vultures, now its marines and vikings (that cant fly yet). Both of them are a lot like the same.

16. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

the early units are marine and reaper and were marine and firebat

17. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    There's not much point in trying to guess how much damage the viking's air attack does.  There are simply too many unknown variables at this point.

The 16 vikings killed the BC on the second volley, but it could've well been only 1 shot out of the entire second volley needed to kill it off.  In fact if you pay attention, you can see the BC exploding well before most of the shots from the second volley even reach it.  So now, we aren't even sure really how many shots took it down.

18. eskudero

eskudero New Member

i noticed that thing about the volleys being simultaneous and i pointed it here.still,in the second battlecruiser you can see that it needs more than a volley and a half,because some of the vikings shoot before the rest and there you can see that its more than one volley.anyway,i am just guessing,and thats actually what we are all doing as the game is not out or even finished.

19. SOGEKING

SOGEKING New Member

When a very damaged air unit still flies, we don't see any smoke of damages on it. It would be cool to see black smoke of fire on the damaged flying unit.

Unit, not structure. the MS (which is a unit) has fire on it when it is damaged

20. Indigent

Indigent New Member

That was before it was not made a super unit. Besides. Vikings are the equvilant of goliath, and a mutalisk. Mainly cause, mutalisks can be easily massed, while doing minimum damage. Only except, mutalisk will cost 100 minerals and 100 gas, if that comes to stay the same, while the viking will cost, 150 minerals, and around 50 gas?