1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viking Idea

Discussion in 'Terran' started by jrc3234, Feb 6, 2008.

Viking Idea

Discussion in 'Terran' started by jrc3234, Feb 6, 2008.

1. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    It's be nice for it to get a bonus against armored units, but either way, it's already designed to be most effective against more armored units. This is the way that they have said the armor system is going to work in StarCraft2, excluding the bonus to certain unit types.

2. jrc3234

jrc3234 New Member

Why would having a bcruiser reduce my force my 3? It's not like I have limited cap, just build more supply depots.

3. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    There is a limit to how much supply you have. In StarCraft1 the supply limit was two hundred. If you include a Battlecruiser in your army, which costs six supply, then it reduces the amount of Vikings or Banshees in your army by three because they both cost two supply each.

4. jrc3234

jrc3234 New Member

Dude. I'm not talking about having 40-50 banshees and vikings, and 20 battlecruisers, I'm talking about 20 v's and b's and 5-10 bc's.

5. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Full scale. That usually refers to the maximum possible. Only using about half your supply is not a full scale attack.

6. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Yes, but a raid cant be full-scale can it? Raiding with you whole army seems stupid...

7. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    A raid is just a term that determines how you attack. Raids would generally just come from the least defended area. For example, an economy raid would not come through their main gates to their workers.

8. Gizmo4life

Gizmo4life Guest

also in a raid typically you only attack until the enemy responds with a force and then retreat, rather then trying to destroy your enemy outright.

9. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    I thought raids were used for distraction and killing drones (like muta harass), my bad...

10. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Killing Drones/Probes/SCV's is an economy raid. They can also be used as a distraction to lure some forces away from the place that you're going to attack, but obviously full scale raids couldn't be used for this because you'd have no army to attack the exposed location.

11. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Yes and therefore i thought full-scale raids didnt exist...
    back to topic
    I think the idea is stupid, just stupid

12. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    That's some top quality arguments you've got there. Care to elaborate?
    By the way, furrer, why are you always so hostile towards new members of the forum?

13. jrc3234

jrc3234 New Member

Why is it stupid, do you want to explain why?

14. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Because it takes the "special" thing of the viking away. You needed to transform it to have it to work good. When it has the same attack in both modes, you will only need to change it acording to the others units (if they have AA you only use it in ground etc.). And the 2nd reason: OP just OP...

15. ShoGun

ShoGun Guest

I say change the viking's air fighter attack to do well against swarms of light aerial units instead of a few larger ones. The battle cruiser (preferably yamoto cannon form) would be effective against capital ships or in other words larger heavy ships. Also, they could make the thor have a mean GtA attack that would rip apart capital ships. By the time your enemy has the best capital ships, thors could be available to you. In addition to these changes, a new factory unit with a good GtA attack and decent massability that could be implemented to deal with things like warp-rays (heavy non-capital ships) and enough of thee units would be good against capital ships like battle cruisers, carriers, and motherships. . . like a goliath, but hopefully with something else that makes it unique to the goliath. This way, we hopefully won't need the predator and solve the lack of terran GtA issue.

And about your idea, I think it is okay for the viking to attack air units while in mech form, just as long as its GtA attack is the same as its GtG attack, but keep the aerial fighter's AtA attack only . . . just make it effective against swarms of light air instead ;D

16. Blackskies

Blackskies New Member

Well didn't blizzard already state that the viking can now attack air in its ground mode but it can't attack ground in it air mode. I think thats pretty decent. It gives the viking the ability to defend its self against air while landed and keep it tactical. Because it forces you to choose to either turn it to air and leave it vulnerable to ground or leave it as ground and loose maneuverability. The idea of it having both air and ground at just one of the stages is a good idea granted it looses some of its tactical purpouse but it still retains its usefulness terrans need a good Ground to air unit and seeing as how they took the goliath which was a pretty decent ground to air unit they need to make up for it.
    Also the concept of the cobra sucked I am glad they took it off. Making a unit slower just seems stupid and not that usefull in combat. We need something that shoots fucking missiles at the fucking air so they die faster. We lost the goliath which used missiles that had the same range as the guardians and a good amount of damage. Making it the ultimate Ground to Air unit. Plus it held its own on the ground as well. Personally I think they need to keep a unit similar to the goliath because its concept offered so many counters on so many levels it was amazing. Like maybe they could give the viking the range of the goliath for Ground to Air only but still it would be usefull.

17. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    It's one of those things that a lot of people take lightly and start swearing when it's done against them. Manoeuvrability is very important in competitive play. Also note that slowing down units often means that their attack rate is also reduced, making them deal less damage per second, which obviously is a tremendous advantage over them.

18. Blackskies

Blackskies New Member

Yeah but I would rather a unit have the ability to do more damage rather than just slow it down. It just seems kind of pointless for a primary attack maybe for an ability but now for the attack

19. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    if the primary attack slowed down every unit it hit then the cobra would probably the most used ground. Any unit that can reduced movement speed and has a fast movement will be used constantly for raids as they can run right through defenses. I dont know why you are against an ability that is prefect for any raids and much more useful then just extra damage.

@furrer i agree with statement about the viking should only be able to attack one type of unit per mode. that way it forces you to choose instead of just shooting every unit from both modes.

20. Blackskies

Blackskies New Member

I would rather a unit be dead than slowed down.