1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viking Fighter's name sux, let's find it a new one!

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Remy, Jul 18, 2007.

Viking Fighter's name sux, let's find it a new one!

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Remy, Jul 18, 2007.

1. slugonice

slugonice New Member

Lets stick with VIKING

2. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

sorry, exactly how is the banshee different?

chimera is a English word used to describe hybrid creatures, and the Viking fighter, as it is currently known, has hybrid functions.

?? that's just random....

what i was trying to point out is that the term chimera in it's original meaning is not a dragon and not what it looks like in wc3, however it's usage in wc3 can be justified since it had 2 heads, making to a hybrid creature.

and dude, it's only a suggestion, you are welcome to say you don't like it, but there's no need to give reasons that simply don't make any sense.

3. Eye_Carumba

Eye_Carumba New Member

Chimera is a Greek word, as Chimera is the name of a creature in Greek mythology. She was hybrid to represent frustration, that was supposed to be beaten by the hero Belerofonte. I don't want frustration as a unit. Viking raiders looks more suitable to mech-warriors to me.

4. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

@Eye_Carumba:

chimera is indeed originated from Greece so your are correct, that's what i've been trying to tell Joneagle_X.

however it's now also a English word (like Typhoon wasn't originate in english) and one of its uses is to describe hybrid creatures. e.g. the mule can be descibed as a chimera as it's the offspring between a horse and a donkey

5. Eye_Carumba

Eye_Carumba New Member

Ok, sry for correcting you again, but a chimera is the merging of two different bodies into one, a mule is still a hybrid. When you have two twins, and in the womb they get fused and generate a single body, that's a chimera.

There are several chimeras among us, like ppl with two different eye colors, and even more rare, with diferent skin colors in the same person. But when this happens with identical twins, or very close resembling brothers, it goes by unnoticed. You could be a Chimera and not know about it. And depending of what part of the body belongs to which brother, you could have kids that are yours and still don't resemble you at all.

Also, don't confuse it with polyalelic genes, which can in a lame example, give a blond person a red colored pubic hair. This person would still be the same, but with different phenotypes being presented. That happens because hair color might be given by different sets of genes.

6. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    How about you stop giving random reasons for defending the name Chimera repeatedly?

It won't work. It's from another Blizzard game. The name sucks. It's too long. Period.

Besides, a hybrid implies the qualities of two units, not just the quality of BEING two units.

Just find two Viking names that fit after "Viking" and apply them to air and ground forms.

"Viking Raider (ground)" and "Viking _____"

Calling it the Chimera is gay, don't mention it again.

EDIT: This post has become of paramount importance to Paragon. God forbid if I say something on a bad day ;).

7. Eye_Carumba

Eye_Carumba New Member

Wow, I totally disagree with you, Joneagle_X. Chimera is a cool name, and it's not longer than Viking. The only reason I think it's not good is because the Viking name has a better relationship with the unit. If it's meaning had a good relation to what the Vikings do, then it would be an option. They're not random arguments, or don't seem like that at all. It seems to me like he really thought it through, differently from you and your reply.

8. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Who, Reaker? Who suggested that Chimera is suddenly an English word? It's always been Greek. Just because it can be related in English doesn't mean its an English word.

Also, he claimed my arguments were random. I was just applying his term to his own argument as mine have just as much credence as his do. If not more, since I'm not citing false facts.

Never assume that my arguments aren't well-thought out. I've seen quite a few of your posts that don't hold up to that standard. Think about that before you claim that about my posts.

9. GrahamTastic

GrahamTastic Member

Pegasus would make sense, since it is a horse with wings. It doesn't really sound right for the Viking though.

Lol...Baba Yaga...

10. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    I haven't seen too many good ideas for names on this thread, myself included, but notice I didn't press my name for an extended number of posts.

For some reason the Banshee fits the unit. Reminds me of an attack helicopter, which is pretty much what it is. The other names just don't fit the Viking.

11. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

how about we call it the Whirlwind? a threat to both land and air

12. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    I actually like that approach. I still don't apply the name to the unit though. But I like the line of thought.

Maybe something more with that idea along the "storm" lines....

The Protoss Tempest is the same thing... its synonymous with a Blizzard....

I'm thinking:

Mirage, Specter, Bandit(its a raider, isn't it?)

Or if you go with the Norse theme:

Volga or Volrag (Volrag was the Russian name for the Vikings, it means "the enemy")

13. Eye_Carumba

Eye_Carumba New Member

You guys can argue as much as you want. I'm still against saying someone should stop debating, or trying to impose their opinion on others. No one's opinion matters more than other's. Saying "the name sucks, period, stop trying cuz your idea sucks", is very different from debating. There's no way I would approve that.

And it indeed sounded like a "shut up" to me. An order to "stop trying" is imposing your opinion in my vocabulary.

14. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    Oooh Volrag. I like that one.

Rolls of my tongue.

15. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    I never said to stop debating. I was implying the point is moot and it has been defended over almost an entire page. No other posters have rallied to its standard. I'm regretful it turned into the situation that it did, especially your inability to correctly interpret my OPINIONS in relation to someone else's. I was also defending my earlier post which he claimed was "random" which to me implies he is saying my post is unsubstantiated.

Once again I think you may have failed to read the rest of this thread.

EDIT: Thanks Willy ;)

16. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

NO U

...volrag? not everybody would know what that means...i mean, even fenrir beats out volrag in poeople knowing what it means.

17. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Lol fine with me... although I'm not sure people really need to know the meaning of a unit's name.

If you think it won't work, that's cool :D Just a suggestion.

18. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    If I could roll my R's right now I'd probably be driving everyone under this roof insane.
    Volrrrrrrag.
    Volrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaagggg.

19. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    lol It makes me think of a giant monster.

Kinda like Kraken, cept it has a better meaning and to me fits the Viking theme as well as the unit's ability.

Since the Vikings themselves were Raiders, and this unit is a Raider, using an alias for the title Viking seems perfect.

20. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

oh man, you totally don't get it do you Joneagle_X,..

the argument is not about whether chimera is a good name for the viking,
    it's a suggestion and I've never argued afterwards whether chimera it's a good name or otherwise.

my point was against you for making illogical arguments against the name.
    we all know you don't like the name, that's absolutely fine, you are entitled to your own opinions. however if you can't state any valid reasons why it's a bad name then you don't have too... you don't have to give random crap like:

"the chimera is a dragon"
    no, it is not, and how is that fact relevant anyway?

"the word chimera is too long"
    wtf?? it's 7 letters, i guess your forum name is crap then because it's too long.

"chimera is used in wc3... but the bashee is ok coz it's different"
    explain how is it different.

"yeah the chimera is a Greek word, it's not a English word"
    check the dictionary, or better wikipedia

they are not valid arguments