1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viking Fighter's name sux, let's find it a new one!

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Remy, Jul 18, 2007.

Viking Fighter's name sux, let's find it a new one!

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Remy, Jul 18, 2007.

1. kehmdaddy

kehmdaddy New Member

My favorite ideas for its name would be Loki (it's mischievous like him! switching back and forth, back and forth) and Manticore (as someone else suggested). Try to think of names that can fit both forms of the unit.

2. Itsmyship

Itsmyship New Member

Where only cool people live... So Cal!
    Eh...Loki to me sounds like the name of a harassing unit, not an awesome Starscream-esque mech.

3. paragon

paragon Guest

Praetorian is another good one.

4. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

viking = crusader.

air crusader and ground crusader.

5. BaneOfHumanity

BaneOfHumanity New Member

Alternate name for Vikings.. hmm

Dread Wings

Though I like the idea of changing them to thor and changeing the Thors name to something else..

Perhapd Dreadnought

lol they should make the BC transform too lol

6. kehmdaddy

kehmdaddy New Member

If they call the Thor a dreadnaught, everyone will immediately call shenanigans upon Blizzard because it really is just a complete clone.

7. BaneOfHumanity

BaneOfHumanity New Member

LOL I know LOL thats kinda why I said it lol

Blizzard rep: "Whatever do you mean...we didnt copy Warhammer 40K" :D

8. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    I suggest Griffin for the Viking Fighter, based on what the mythical beast is. Body of a lion(king of beasts on the ground) and head and wings of an eagle(king of birds).

I like the Chimera name for the same reason. The multi-aspect nature of the creature and the unit.

Another one would be Raider, but might suit Reapers better. I don't really like the name of Reapers either to be honest, the name itself is alright but doesn't suit the unit.

Other names I like for Viking Fighter are Fenris and Sentinel. About all the Norse mythology related names, screw Zerg brood names.

I like the name Thor for the Thor unit, but other name that I find equally appealing are Behemoth, Titan, and Juggernaut.

9. Itsmyship

Itsmyship New Member

Sentinel is a good name for Viking. Although I'm still quite partial to calling it Centurion. Roman terms make some of the best names.

At the same time, I also wonder if Blizz would look into not giving them certain character/creature/god name but maybe even like Terran names, especially for aircraft. For example, how Messerschmidt wasn't a creature or how MIG was just the initials of the designers. I personally find that interesting, but then again thats just me.

10. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

I like the Sentinel idea a lot.

On the Norse myth stuff, I spent like half the year in English learning it in 11th grade, so I think I know a little bit. So, here's my two cents. No one else will go for this, but I like it. Change the "Thor" to "Jotun," which, in Norse myths, is the race of giants. It fits the whole "massive instrument of destruction" and change the "Viking Fighter" to "Mjolnir," which is Thor's hammer.

Wanna know something funny? Everyone associates the Terrans with Norse stuff, but the Zerg have the Jörmungandr Brood, and a hero Overlord named Yggdrasil. Jörmungandr is the World Serpent, eating its tail to create the boundaries of existence (He and Thor kill each other eventually), and Yggdrasil is the World Tree, where all life exists.

11. Itsmyship

Itsmyship New Member

Haha, I learned most of Norse mythology in a book at Barnes and Noble, but I forgot a lot of it :p

Thor looks like an Odin to me. However, im not a big fan of giving the Terran norse names, just kinda sounds odd on them to me.

My personal forte is on Greek myth....however, I still have believe Roman/Greek names make some of the best ones out there. I still like my idea of not giving them creature/myth/such and such names though and just kinda going with certain names, like i explained above...or maybe im just spamming my idea, sorry if i did :p

12. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    I actually don't mind Jotun at all, it looks(as opposed to sounds) pretty good. But how is it properly pronounced?

Jote'n, Joe-Toon, Joe-Tuhn, Jauh-Toon, Jauh-Tuhn...

I think it's main advantage over Thor is that it's two syllables. Although I like the name Thor, Terran Thor doesn't sound too comfy just yet.

13. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

I think it's "YO-tun" but I could be wrong.

That's the biggest problem with Norse stuff. I have no freaking idea how to pronounce Mjolnir

14. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    OMG it's a swarm of Mew-Joe-Lay-Ners coming this way!!

If it's anything like Yote'n like I imagine what it is that you meant, then it sounds pretty good to me.

15. Itsmyship

Itsmyship New Member

I think its said May-yol-ner. However, i think Meh-jol-ner sound cooler to me

16. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

I looked it up on Wiki to find a pronunciation. Freaking worthless. [mjolnər] is what it said.

LAAAAAAME

EDIT: dictionary.com was waaay more useful. They said "myawl-nir" I think the "yawl" bit sounds like y'all type thing.

Mmm y'all near. I think it sounds better if you have oatmeal in your mouth.

EDIT OF THE EDIT: Jotun is "yaw-toon". I liked mine better.

17. Outcaster

Outcaster New Member

How about Striders for a name??

18. TEDurden

TEDurden New Member

Haha nice post fenix. Norse mythology is basically awesome. Sentinel is a pretty sweet name for the viking though, but if you wanted to keep woth a Norse theme, maybe call it Heimdall or Einherjar? Heimdall is the Norse god who guards Asgard, the realm of the gods, and the Einherjar are Odin's warriors in Valhalla. For Thor, I would go Greek and rename him the Atlas. Atlas is a Greek immortal who holds up the earth.

19. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    LOL funny Fenix.

How about Terran Vanguard?

20. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Yeah, but can you imagine "OMG help!! I'm being Einherjar rushed!!" Heimdall would be cool, but since it's an actual god, it would have to be a hero unit or super weapon...So, it'd work for the Thor