Unit Redesigns

Discussion in 'Graphics, Wallpaper, Fanart, Signatures, etc' started by ArchLimit, Aug 20, 2007.

?

Two Options available per unit; Please choose your preference for each

1. Existing Cobra

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Cobra Redesign

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Colossus Beam (Red)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Colossus Beam (Blue)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Reaper Dual Pistols

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Reaper/Firebat Cross

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Unit Redesigns

1. burkid

burkid New Member

the banshee looks fine for terran. i think its one of the only units i dont have any gripe with.

the entire shape of the seige tanks barrel looks like its shooting disks.

remy, congratulations at joining the 1k club!

2. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Thanks Burkid.

I think I'm OK with the banshee model as well, but I can't remember what it looked like in-game atm.

3. FlyingTiger

FlyingTiger New Member

CT
    Awesome redesigns. :powerup:

I personally love the banshee model because it has a unique terran feel that I can't explain. Maybe it's the rotor blades? ^_^

For the redesigned Cobra, I feel as though it looks thinner than the Blizzard's Cobra. By thin I mean the width of the model and not the thickness (up and down). Maybe I'm seeing it a bit wrong... I like thin though because in my mindset... a fast vehicle should be thinner and more curvy for more aerodynamics. Your model might be a bit boxy. Yeah.... take my opinion with a grain of salt. ^_^

I love what you did to the beams of the colossus. The blue beam has a definite protoss feel and it blends well with the model. haha I actually do like LightMare's idea of having different colors for different team colors; however, thats if they are powered by psi energy.

The reaper's flame looks badass. I rather have that than the dual pistols. The attack animation is awesome.

4. ArchLimit

ArchLimit New Member

@FlyingTiger, yea, the thickness for the cobra that I was trying to change is the vertical thickness. I did sort of want to "narrow" it a little lengthwise to facilitate aerodynamics but yea. I think u'r right in that thickness takes away from it being a "faster" unit, but I felt like the cobra seen so far looked so thin that it could be flipped over by a gust of wind. And also, the speed of movement shown in the demo looked too slow for the visuals. I mean, if u'r gonna have a thin and sharp looking unit like the existing cobra, you should be moving like the vulture. Anyway, that's just my take.

Wow, seriously guys, the feedback and constructive criticism is overwhelming. The powerups haven't bothered me much either, HAHa! Thanks so much.

Well, this definitely is encouraging for me to bust out a couple more for you. I have a semi-gripe with a few more units that might be fun to tweak. Sooo I guess stay tuned for another update :)

5. paragon

paragon Guest

better not desecrate the banshee...

6. ArchLimit

ArchLimit New Member

HAhaha, not even touching it Paragon. The positive attention you give the Banshee is well deserved. I think it's one of the units that look great as is.

7. VortecX

VortecX New Member

From what I have seen, the Banshee is currently my fav Terran unit.

As for the polls, I like the cobra redesign(way cooler), blue laser for the colossus and dual pistol wielding reapers.

8. needler

needler New Member

Good work, thought the only change I voted for was the Colossus beam.
    I liked the old Cobra more, because the new one had too big guns. They seemed more like rocket launchers to me.
    I liked the blue beams of the Colossus and i have always thougt that the colossus should have blue beams. And its good to hear that other people would like it too. The blue bullets/fire/something do seem more like protoss weapons for me, maybe because of the original Starcraft.
    I think that the old reaper was good, because the pistols are more like street fighting weapons combined with the jump packs. But even better idea was the thing that someone said about reapers having uzis.
    I like the new tank, but it looks strange in siege mode. The tank that was in the original starcraft was good. And the new Thor idea is good. I'd like if it would have caterpillar tracks, not legs.
    But i think that Blizzard make new models for some of the units, as they made new models for the tank. (and that can mean that the greenlight tank maybe stays)

9. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Lol, wow Arch, I think you may have found a never-ending source of power-ups. You should post them one at a time every 72 hours :p. Then you'd be beating Remy!!!

But I seriously vote for your Cobra. SC2 needs to look a little more realistic than craptoony and you've provided a solution! :D

10. -LT-

-LT- New Member

I like the blue colossus beam better. Nice article :powerup:

11. ChocoNite

ChocoNite New Member

If you do this kinda stuff on your free time you ought to WORK for blizzard. :powerup:

12. PancakeChef

PancakeChef New Member

United States
    Those are some nice renders like always Archlimit.

Although, I don't think the Cobra and the Reaper would look much different when rendered with the game enigne. I do however, prefer the blue over the red on the Colossus. In my opinion it makes the Colossus more "scifi" and "protossy" like you have said it makes it look more "alien."

I personally don't think anything is wrong with the unit designs thus far except for the nomad.

13. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

yes and protoss looks like a carnival.. amusement park specially the phase canons! change the design!
    this is starcraft 2. hahah. make it look powerful and shoot POWERFUL! not lame energy balls!

arch try to make the canons of the siege not arching upward that much. i dont know why it has to look like that. how about just make the canon straight. not slanting upward.

14. ArchLimit

ArchLimit New Member

Well I think there needs to be a bit of a slant to facilitate the "range" of it. I mean siege mode is about both power and range, and an angled shot makes it farther.

I learned my ungodly physics knowledge from Kitty Cannon :D

15. paragon

paragon Guest

45 degrees results in the farthest shot.

16. danhillman693

danhillman693 Member

The Colossus looks awesome, and I want to make my avatar, if you don't mind.

17. Nuclear Launch

Nuclear Launch New Member

Blizzard´s cobra looks like a skateboard. I didn´t really like yours but it´s a lot better.

18. ArchLimit

ArchLimit New Member

@Danhillman, go ahead man, have at it :)

19. ArchLimit

ArchLimit New Member

Starcraft I didn't quite get u'r question, what are you saying exactly? If u'r asking how I made my avatar I did it using Maya, a 3D modeling/animation program.

20. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Looking forward to your other redesigns, ArchLimit. Especially the tanks. The new tanks are cool, but it doesn't look scary enough. More grit and bigger, stronger looking guns. I think you should try making some Zerg buildings as well. They might be a lot harder, since your only references are 2D sprites, but I think you could pull it off.