1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ultralisk?

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by abomination21, Oct 6, 2007.

?

Does the zerg ultralisk needs a new metamorphosis????

1. Yes

50.0%
  2. No

25.0%
  3. give me messages and ideas

25.0%

Ultralisk?

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by abomination21, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Overling

Overling New Member

Still no good: Ultras would still bounce in the same problem as Firebat and Reaver, the same height restriction. As long as enemies can cross between higher and lower grounds to escape them, they're dead meat.

A good choice to an obstacled world would be to replace the Ultra with something similar, but with flexible legs to climb steps too. This way they could ambush small units taking a shorter path, or get through blockades such as supply depots, if the terrain enables them to. Instead of target practice, a terrifying menace. I sure would like to see that!

@ Quanta: The Dragoon was replaced because it lacked mobility greatly. It was much cheaper to build cannons if it was meant for base defense. They were also good for tanking. But their size and movement speed got in the way. Immortals and Stalkers improve each of these features, by becoming more specialized forms of dragoon.

2. Quanta

Quanta New Member

I cannot disagree with you about the dragoons lack of mobility but that wasn't a very big problem in SC1. It was a problem but a unit having a flaw isn't a bad thing. So they had no need to replace it; however in SC2 Blizzard decided they would make ground units in general more mobile. This would make poor mobility a bigger liablity so replacing the dragoon with stalkers, which are very mobile, and immortals, which are excellent tanks, was a good idea, but that didn't need to be true. They could have decided not to make ground units more mobile and left the dragoon as is.

This is the counterpoint I am trying to make against the argument that ultralisks are fine as is and dont' need replacing. Alot of units that are fine as is are going to be replaced simply because Blizzard wishes to change dynamics.

3. DeathRot

DeathRot New Member

that why they make sc2 if u were to make all sc1 unit return and in 3D what the point of making sc2 but just sc1 in 3D mode? that why they had many of the old units gone so that to change the dynamic and the gameplay with the new units i doubt ultralisk would even return same as the the guardian u see that most of the protoss and terran air units are completely change only the BCs drop ship and carriers still around i doubt that the zerg air units will return with the same thing again they have to try out new mechanics for the zergs we all hope that the new units would fill in a better role or a slimliar role to the previous old unit just that adding in interesting concept on it to counter the new mechanics of the protoss and the terran

4. Does the ultralisk has a new upgrades can I ask what??? it's now okay for me. hehehe just asking.....

5. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    The Ultralisk hasn't even been announced. It might not even make it into StarCraft2. I would love to see it return, but it should pretty much keep it as it was. After all, the Zergling and Mutalisk are pretty much the same thing, so it's not like they just won't keep any units the same. Terran have the Marine, Ghost, Siege Tank, and Battlecruiser, which are still pretty much the same as StarCraft1. Protoss have Zealot, Archon, Dark Templar and the Carrier returning as well. Keep the Ultralisk as is. Pretty much the only thing that I want it to have is the ability to walk over smaller units, similar to Colossus.

6. L0ck and L04d

L0ck and L04d New Member

the zerg are a SWARMING species, not a big powerful tanker one leave that to the protoss, so what if a battlecruiser can kill a mutalisk, theres gona be at least twenty more were that one came from!

7. Overling

Overling New Member

But they should be allowed to use a strategy opposite to their current, even if they require an effort (spending a lot of minerals/gas) for it.

But imo, Zergs are in fact stronger and tougher than Terrans: zerglings have almost the same HP as marines, although they have 1/2 food cost and deal the same damage. Hydralisks have 80 HP, more than any Terran infantry unit. If we take out Scourge (and Drone of course), all other zerg units have more HP than Hydras. Hive is the biggest HP "Command Center".

So it IS a Zerg strategy to have high HP and be averagely hard to kill. I personally find some terran players more swarming than some Zergs. In mid-game, a terran will have a few barracks and some factories, and the only thing delaying their production is base size: there's not enough room for this many buildings.

Thus, I don't see how this label should be fair to Zergs. Starcraft is a game of big armies fighting big armies. Zergs have a faster reestablishment, but so far they have not been restricted to throwing zounds of units at the enemy. As every race, they should be allowed diversity in strategies.

8. Larvitar

Larvitar New Member

I wouldn't think it would be wise to spam infantry when lurkers came out. Multiple barracks would not be that good. The best would be Terran pure tank and vultre (was that called gundam?). That owned protoss.

Btw, how do you counter Terran pure machine?

9. MarineCorp

MarineCorp New Member

England, United Kingdom
    I like the Ultealisk its cool however there should be something to replace it or keep it with new abilities

10. Ursawarrior

Ursawarrior New Member

somewhere....not sure
    hmmm.... evolve it to make it 6x larger, 4.5k health and 4 armor? LOL!

............no

11. Larvitar

Larvitar New Member

Actually, after read the the post before this one, there is a good reason why the ultralisk, or a version of it would appear.

The Zerg still need a tanker to tank for them. Why?
    1) Crowd Control
    In the video, 2 colossuses, 18Zealots pwn about 100+ Zerglings? I don't wanna count and I certainly don't wanna know if it's more than 100.

2)Versatiliy
    Do the Zerg wanna super spam ultra small units or spam normal strength units? Restrict it to ultra small and Protoss are going to own you. Colossus certainly own Zerglings and Siege tank/marine/firebat-like reapers/supply depot/ own any hydralisk/baneling rush. Even if you argue that the guardian will break such blockades Protoss can just use carriers and Terrans use Vikings to great pleasure.

Not to mention that ultralisk can be considered the strongest solo unit. That's why a version of it at the very least would appear.

12. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

idea for the ultralisk: it takes the hits for all units beneath it

13. SD-Count

SD-Count New Member

I see no reason to increase its health, if your stupid enough to send ultralisks in to die without a swarm over its head then theres not much I can say. Ultralisks do their jobs well outside of swarms or between swarms also, I see not much you can improve on it.

14. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    @ SD-Count. The Ultralisks shouldn't have the damage taken away from them, they should be there to take the damage away from the rest of the swarm. That is why they might have its health or armor increased. You shouldn't have to send in a whole swarm to support your Ultralisks, instead you should have to send in Ultralisks to support your swarm.