1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thor

Discussion in 'Terran' started by ShoGun, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Thor

Discussion in 'Terran' started by ShoGun, Jul 17, 2007.

1. I)4rk

I)4rk New Member

So wait, the Thor is created from SCVs together? You probably need to research it right? Because I mean it'd be pretty cheap just to watch a thor pop up in your base in like 5 mins into the game WTF!!!! hahhaha Hopefully it is a lategame upgrade. This way even the CC will be useful in battle unit production. Haha a great way to keep pumping SCVs...

2. GuiMontag

GuiMontag New Member

The THOR will be built like a building, likely under the advanced building section.

3. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

It sounds weid being built by a SCV.

I mean with enough resources, you can make like 15-20 thors quite easily :)

4. GuiMontag

GuiMontag New Member

its not that odd considering its bigger than a factory :p
    with enough resources you can build 20 starports and then bulid 20 battlecuisers quite easily :p

5. WuHT

WuHT New Member

Reasons why i dont like the new Thor :

1) It's got some strange fantasy feel to it (it's still Sci-Fi). It looks more like a Giant Robot than a vehicle, especially when we know that it's going to have strong firepower. In fact..the first thing i thought of was Warhammer 30k...and i dont even play it!
    There was comparisons about starcraft being very influenced by it and if anything, Blizzard should steer AWAY from this.
    I mean the Terran are efficient, practical, with very specialized units to fit certain roles (you can't A-click ground and expect to win). Thor looks very "all-purpose/dominate-all" type of unit, and to me, thats VERY un-terran like.

2)I always imagined the Terran to be the underdogs, the pioneers, the guys who have to not only defend themselves from alien threat,s but settle and build from literally nothing. Thor looks like a mecha that only well-established civilizations can muster, and the terran to me seem more nomadic and still settling.

3)Are units just going to get bigger and bigger ? Protoss got the colossus, and now the terran get the Thor. I'd imagine that the SC2 zerg "ultralisk" is going to be freakishly monstrous.

6. GuiMontag

GuiMontag New Member

i wouldnt count on the THOR being that powerfull, all the info we have is from magazines who have played the game for half an hour. When blizzard gives us the real info, then it will probably seem alot less powerful and make sense story wise.

i realy like the direction there going in making a larger difference in top tier units to first tier, it was really gay in sc1 when ultralisks were taken out by M&M with stims really easily. or when battlecruisers got owned by hydralisks.

as for the feel of the THOR, i think its great even though it will probably end up like the ultralisk in sc1, but the graphic is hardcore.

7. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

Yeah, but you need the building where as you can only pump with SCVs is what i ment.

As for the power of thor, we dont know it yet, is he using gattling guns, or miniguns or artilry or missles, or his range, or the type of damage. I really want some statistics...Cant wait for Blizzcon(not going just the news from it:)

8. JudicatorPrime

JudicatorPrime New Member

The Colossi and Thor need to be big if they're to traverse cliffs or shoot over them... But I agree, I have no clue where this came from. They're better off with just a simple artillery unit... maybe a bit bigger than the siege tank because it has to fit all them guns.

9. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

all i can i say is that now is the time that the Terran build something huge and destructive unit like thor and bring it to the battle field. why not? they are in the future.metal gear have the rex mech, so terran can definitely build something like the thor. its about time.

10. WuHT

WuHT New Member

well.. i mean goliaths are a mech. Bascially it's a rocket-pack on legs + small gatling gun. But having something with 8 giant guns stickin out of it is a little farfetched (more fantasy than sci-fi). If the protoss had a "thor" archon/colossus hybrid unit..that wouldn't be too surprising...but humans ? I'm not too sure.

11. Alasdair

Alasdair New Member

Toronto
    well, the terrans have always been guys who like big guns, why not make a REALLY big mobile gun/guns, i think it fits perfectly with their theme, protoss like technology, zerg like massive amounts of units, terrans like thick armor and big guns!

12. Lombar

Lombar New Member

Buenos Aires
    Dude.. if you think that of the terrans, then you DID NOT played starcraft or have any clue about Terran game history. Think about the Terrans as the Imperialistic bit***** we are. We are allways looking for bigger and more destructive weapons (NUKE) and are allways trying to expand our territories. I read the Terran history the other day.. Dude, we've been here for centuries! What are you talking settlers my ass!

Some guy posted that the terrans has not a single strong assault unit, and he's right!.. A bc is OH so expensive and can be taken down by 4 hidralisks.

As for the "Big siege tank" function, i think it'll probably has the siege ability + some gatling guns (strong ones plz, not another goliath.. ><) + maybe some AOE missiles every now and then. In my opinion, it'll take a different role than the siege tank, taking more the role as a sixpack of goliaths maybe, with the ability to siege everynow and then.

I personally think THOR is a good name and it'll separate even more the terran from the other races. It's about time a terran unit could kick ass some toss. ^^ Thor'll pwn in Thor vs Colossi battles.. :)

13. JudicatorPrime

It's not a question of whether or not they can build it, its whether or not it belongs... Zerg might as well get an invincible Vampire unit that drains blood and cannot be killed... And the Protoss get the Metal Gear Ray >.<

I question its ability to actually assault an enemy considering its hard of turning... That alone would get it pummuled by the weakest unit attacking from behind (unless it has guns coming out of its ass too)... And if it IS meant to be a "stay-away-from-fight-artillery" unit then it makes you ask what the hell happened to the siege tank, and why does it need to have legs?

I'm guessing the developers really want you to havem ore diverse units, instead of a bazillion BC's they want you to use Thors for the punch, but also have a lot of other units supporting the Thors..

14. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

exactly. thick armor and big guns = thor.

15. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Well, what's the reasoning behind mechs being more Fantasy than Sci-Fi? I mean, mechs are really the only vehicle that we haven't actually created yet. We have tanks, jet fighters, bombers, spacecraft, and even some hover vehicles, but we don't have mechs. Mechs are like the pinnacle of military technology. You think mechs would fit in better with elves and orcs or whatever than they would with aliens and space? Seriously, mechs do fit in with Terran, they're theoretically more versatile and maneuverable than tanks, aircraft, or even a hovercraft. As for why everything keeps on getting bigger... well, they just want to kill more faster with less casualties. The thicker the armor, the longer you live, the bigger the guns the faster you kill.

16. GuiMontag

GuiMontag New Member

actually the Japanese have created a mech, it walks really slowly and has a belly mounted chain gun

17. JudicatorPrime

Theoretically a hover vehicle would be far superior to a mech... The Thor is far from practical...

Japanese have made a Transformer, albeit only 2 meters tall and no plasma cannons and it doesn't make the trademark sound.

18. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

so like japan will rule the world someday =)

19. SirBaron

SirBaron New Member

Oh, but they already do... they've just invaded us peacefully, you see...

20. DontHate

DontHate New Member

The thor looks so good. I mean u build it from scv's!! A big drawback i see is if you're retreating though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.