1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thor

Discussion in 'Terran' started by ShoGun, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Thor

Discussion in 'Terran' started by ShoGun, Jul 17, 2007.

1. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    Gripes on the name being overused, not just used. And not every cool name that can be used has been used, unless you define cool by it having been used in a game before....

2. burkid

burkid New Member

^with some of them, i wouldnt be suprised lol

3. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

Thor kinda overlaps with the siege tank for me for some reason. I mean yeah, it will turn slowly and whatnot, but how many times have you fought battles from front and back ? Not many...

So just deploy 3-4 thors and wait for the enemy to drop?

EDIT:

I heard Thor is going to be a base,large unit killer, and makes me wonder what his ability to deal with zerglings,zealots,hydras and so on is.

And how slow is his moving speed, because i have a feeling we'll have a lot of Thor vs Colossus fights...

4. burkid

burkid New Member

the thing with the turning is fast units like the cobra can get behind it and pound on it without it being able to hit back.

5. Ych

Ych New Member

It is confirmed that the Thor will work like a siege unit.
    Itz special ability is the Artillery Strike, in that it can do area of effect damage over a long distance. Of course, itz weakness is that it takes forever for it to turn around, and move. I'm absolutely with you DKutrovsky, in that the Thor's role is kind of overlapping the Siege Tanks? Siege Tanks are basically siege units. Artillery Strike sounds very similiar to the Siege Tanks attack. Yea, it is a special ability, but I don't see why anyone would build Thor if you could just call in Siege tanks. Their roles just seems too similiar.

6. burkid

burkid New Member

maybe siege tanks do less damage, but cost a lot less.
    and the thor might have an air attack.

7. Hadean

Hadean New Member

Hamilton, Ontario
    Coming from the two people with 300+ posts thats really cute.

But yeah anyways. Thor is cool and all, but I really doubt it's usefulness.

8. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

i wonder if thor is also anti air. if it is, then they are twice as useful than any other units.

9. Frost

Frost New Member

I'm 100% with you on that one Hadean, seems like a crappy upper tier unit that is going to try and sway you to stop making siege tanks, or combine them with each other to form some super omega transforming wave of endless siege. I hope it gets made a bit smaller, and has some kind of bullet weapon or something else useful.

10. kehmdaddy

kehmdaddy New Member

It makes sense to me to not have the Thor be able to hit close units, just like Siege Tanks in siege mode, because if it did it would probably tear itself apart with its own splash damage, and it will probably be an even further proximity. This gives it another weakness to counter its all powerful attacks.
    But, the problem with that is, the Thor will basically be a big, mean Siege Tank in siege mode who can walk around slowly. Maybe this is one of the unique aspects that we'll mainly see for the Terran- siege weapons and powerful base destroying powers.

11. Hadean

Hadean New Member

Hamilton, Ontario
    A whole row of these things assaulting a base may be deadly but so is a wave of siege tanks. And Siege tanks can get the hell out of dodge a lot easier. The only advantage that I might see is being easier to micro.

12. kehmdaddy

kehmdaddy New Member

We don't know any of its statistics yet, so don't be hasty. I think the Thor is going to have a longer range than a Siege Tank in siege mode, atleast for its ability, and it will probably have 650-800 health. It will be easy to take down with lots of quick moving units (and maybe aircraft), but it will make up for that by basically destroying anything in its path from a great deal away. I also think it won't be able to hit units in a further proximity than even the Siege Tank in siege mode, because otherwise it would either rip itself apart from splash damage or just be too unfair.

13. Ych

Ych New Member

Oh man, just imagine how hard it is going to take and break down a Terran Turtler.
    Planetary Fortress, Improved Suppy Depot, Bunkers, Siege Tanks, and THOR!!!

Err, I know I wouldn't be enjoying my time trying to crack down the new and improved Terran in SC2. Mass Immortals FOR DA WIN??? ;D ;D ;D

14. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

and i think thor is a better "tank" and better damage dealer than the siege tank. its the most destructive thing ever so hell its useful.

15. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

I still dont see how Thor is different than the siege tank, especially if it has minimum range.

More expensive and more damage vs less expensive less damage and earlier, but with more "mobile" firing mechanics, and possibly longer range...Probably faster built too.

Thor should do these things to not be like the siege tank.

1. Not have a minumum range
    2. Be as deadly to all opponents, zealots/zerglings and stalkers/hyrdas alike
    3. Have an Air attack mode

If not its just a robotic version of the siege tank and its rather useless

16. mc2

mc2 New Member

It is now obvious that the Thor is not and will not be an ultimate unit for the Terrans. The last several posts has been discussion of siege tanks and possible siege weapons, that does not relate to the Thor.

There are topics for the Thor and Siege Tanks in the Terrans board. Thank you

EDIT: topic reopened after merging with the Thor topic

17. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

just build the thor together with the siege tanks for utmost destruction. i think the thor normal attack damage is like that of a siege tank in siege mode. plus a thor can be a tank compared to the usually always retreating siege tanks. thor i think is equivalent of 5 siege tanks.

18. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

I guess we have to see him in action before we can speak up. Numbers and speed are important here

19. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

yes but if you have enough thor in hand plus your regular units, numbers(siege tanks) and speed(not in siege mode) means less.

i always like strength compared to agility maybe thats why i lovethe brute thor. 8)

20. Lemonparty

Lemonparty New Member

Awesome unit, it seems like it's stronger vs biological units, like the siege tanks. The name is good, better than naming it Zeus or Ra..or even Jesus. Thor sounds more ''warrish''.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.