1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thor

Discussion in 'Terran' started by ShoGun, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Thor

Discussion in 'Terran' started by ShoGun, Jul 17, 2007.

1. SOGEKING

SOGEKING New Member

I suggest for the THOR to be able to lift up like for the Terran structures. Ther Colossus can climb mountains, now the Thor can fly through islands.

I don't know the HP of the Thor, but as it is a huge unit it should get 600 hp. Maybe if Blizzard decides to create a smaller Thor (same one, but in more lttle) the lift ability can be thrown away of course, and the hp can stay at its current level : 300

2. blindoutlaw

blindoutlaw New Member

Australia
    Thor should be more than a mobile AA unit, it should be the terrans heavy hitter unit, the big tough unit that goes hard at the enemy dealing massive damage and taking its fair share before dropping out of the fight
    The Thor's attacks should be made completely opposite to one another, its ground attack should be strong and directed at single targets with no area effect making the Thor's ground attack good at bring down large ground targets but wasteful against smaller units.
    As for the Anti air attack, make it the opposite, area effect and light, great against weaker air units but can be overpowered by larger air units.

As for the barrage ability, forget it, leave the shelling to the seige tank, the Thor is for direct assault not siege

3. Juggernaught131

Juggernaught131 New Member

America
    [img width=428 height=316]http://www.armyvehicles.dk/images/m270a1_1.jpg[/img]

I would still be happy if the thor was an AA mainly unit... as long as it follows the MLRS (Multiple Launch Rocket System) rule, where ther is not one or two strong missles, but many weaker ones over a period of time. for example, maybe the THor could fire a volley of 60 missles at a time, 15 out of four boxes to replace the cannons that fire rockets, then has a long cooldown for the next volley which would have a cool animation... like an SCV needed to reload the aa ability... Otherwise, the thor does not seem like its fire could keep up with the speed of an aircraft

[img width=500 height=309]http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/vehicles/self_propelled_artillery/mlrs/mlrs_9.jpg[/img]

P.S. i would love to see the thor need an SCV to reload the thors missle volley if it had that, an animation where the boxes fall, and an SCV loads on new missile boxes lol

4. Chax424

Chax424 New Member

A
    Does anyone actually know what the current Thor is?
    Small AG, big flack cannons, an AA, barrage.
    What is the current deal with the Thor?

5. Ronin

Ronin New Member

Beware
    I still couldn't find anything on the thor, yet i cant find the mayo jar in the fridge. however i still hope that it gets pumed back up to jumbo sized and is more assult based instead of its more supportive role.
    My only problems with the terrans was that they had no frontliner and the thor showed hopes for that and now thats its smaller....well...KABOOM... there goes the hope, along with the thor and~~ 20 banelings

6. SOGEKING

SOGEKING New Member

I want the Thor to stay as it is now, I mean a huge unit with the big canons which were able to destroy the CC in the cinematic (its special attack), and with its current size.

To be added : - a bigger HP than the Ultralisk
    - the ability to lift up.
    - no smaller size, so no possibility to be dropped inside a dropship.
    - built by a SCV, not inside the factory. It has the size of a structure

ps :
    for the last suggestion, the Thor should be built outside a factory because of its size. But what about the battlecruiser. This is also a huge unit that had, normally, not to be built inside a structure, the starport.

7. DontHate

DontHate New Member

Samir, the thor will not be able to destroy a CC as fast as it did in the cinematic because its "special attack", barrage was cut.

I really think going this way with the thor isn't too bad. Blizzard needs an anti-light air unit, and instead of building another fighter jet or small mech with rockets, they decided to turn the thor into a mobile flak cannon. I think the idea of the thor's barrage guns into flak cannons with splash damage is pretty neat, and i don't really mind about the size because it's still pretty big. This ties up problems like the overlapping units and the lack of terran GtA.

8. Juggernaught131

Juggernaught131 New Member

America
    i agree that its okay that the thor is a gta attacker, but i do not like the idea of the thor being called the thor and even being speculated whether it should be made smaller or not. People should not shrink THOR or they should name it something else.

P.S. @Samir i agree that the battlecruiser is seeming to be too small for the relative size in the cinematics, but it should still be made in the starport. the starport is a large platform which can make large items on top, while the factory is a closed building that cannot allow huge items. Also, the BC was not a super secret project as explained in the thor's lore

9. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    I agree, why is a unit that is named after a GOD not used in the front line, and is instead used as an anti-sir support vehicle. The Thor should simply be made into a mobile fortresses no abilities, just slow and powerful.

10. blind_outlaw

blind_outlaw New Member

Australia
    Pimp my Thor

This may of been said but anyway here it is

I believe the Thor should be customizable just like the Battlecruiser giving the player the ability to choose what type of Thor will suit them. The original Thor built from the factory (or SCV if it goes back) should have no abilities, can only attack ground with only moderately good attack, from here you can take it in either of 2 directions. Assault or Support

Assault Thor - The Assault Thor is basically a walking fortess, it gains extra health and its attack, while still only GtG, has increased damage. The Thor however loses speed and becomes large making it harder to move around. The increased size however allows it to also become a mobile bunker with 4 units of infantry able to garrison it. (The mobile bunker part was not apart of my original idea, just thought i see how people like it)

Support Thor - While keeping its original GtG attack, the Support Thor gains more speed and mobility as well as a additional attack against air targets, the new Flak guns on its back have a aoe and are extremely effective against swarms of enemy air targets, the Zerg inparticular

11. Darktemplar_L

Darktemplar_L New Member

Bay Area
    No because you could just mass Thors of different types making the army unstoppable. Each different type of Thor makes up for the other's weakness. I like the idea of the whole "being able to choose the type" Thor.

12. blind_outlaw

blind_outlaw New Member

Australia
    Well yeh there is that, but the cost of building the thor plus the added cost of upgrading it should keep them from being massed in huge numbers

but i see what you mean though

13. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    i want a nice pink thor with televisions in the stupidest places and a fountain in the backseat....o sorry

I like this idea, and as you said blind_outlaw, the upgrades would hopefully keep players from massing an army of Thors.

14. leealvin1984

leealvin1984 New Member

i like the concept of having two different types of thor. one would be a strong siege unit, much like the thors original design, the other one would be the thors current design which is a powerful anti air unit as being described by blizzard.

if ever blizz would be able to view your idea and decides to implement it, lets leave the balancing to them. but hell, good job for the two types of thor idea.

15. leealvin1984

leealvin1984 New Member

Thor Concepts For Blizz

hi. most of us terran lovers do not like the current build of the thor unit. and the thor has been a major issue ever since it was changed from its original design. Im not expecting blizzard to bring back the old thor. because blizzard made it clear that they did not want the thor overlapping the siege tanks role.

however, i came up with an idea for the thor. this idea popped up when i was reading the thread entitled "pimp my thor".

the idea is pretty much in league with blind_outlaw's concept. having customizable thors. but this would be a whole new different mechanic.

my idea is, how about when you create a thor, you get to choose a weapon for each one of them. for "EXAMPLE" if the thors cost 200m/100g right now in the current build "(just an example, i dunno how much it cost)", why not make it cheaper, like cut down the cost to 100m/50g, but when a thor comes out of the factory, it currently has no weapon, now you need to buy or choose the parts for your thor manually for an additional cost. like maybe you can choose to have it mounted with a Gatling gun for light armored units, siege cannons for armored units, or a flak cannon to deal with air units. something like that. now you only get to have one weapon type per thor. now about the weapons or parts, the moment you buy one, it will automatically appear. there's no wait time. its just that you need to buy the parts and each parts cost differently. because if there's a wait time, then fresh thors would be a bit useless especially when your enemy is already at your base.

as for ability, i think this would be a bit overpowered, but might as well bring it up. an idea is still an idea. instead of having the artillery strike. why not give the thor the ability to change weapons but you need to buy the replacement as well.

please give me feedback. thank you guys.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
  16. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    I think this would make the thor too weak when it is first made. It would better if you could select the weapons on the thor while its being built, rather that having to wait for it to be completed first.
    other than that, good idea

17. leealvin1984

leealvin1984 New Member

cannonfodder, do you think someone from the dev team is actually reading this thor thread? i created a separate thread for my idea, then after a few mins, it went here without me doing anything. i also noticed that most of the threads about the thor is sorted here. like they're compiling everything.

18. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    even many of us non-terran players aren't satisfied with the new thor.

I think they need the bombardment ability back, and become mainly anti-ground with a small AA attack. To help the overlap, they could limit the number of thors allowed, like they did with the mother ship to help with overlap issues. However, it should not be limited to only 1, but probably 4-5.

19. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    @ leavealin1984 i noticed that, i not sure why it happened but you could be right that BLIZZARD or the site managers are collecting all the info on the thor and placing it in one thread.

@EonMaster IMO the bombarment ability was the reason for the Thor downgrade as it caused the the Thor to be too similar the the siege tank. I say just give the Thor lots of health and nice big slow attack. :)

20. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Damnit, the Thor never had an overlap with tanks! I hate saying this over and over again. Thor = heavy assault mech, tank = long range siege artillery

Jeesh.

[/rant]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.