1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thor

Discussion in 'Terran' started by ShoGun, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Thor

Discussion in 'Terran' started by ShoGun, Jul 17, 2007.

1. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Even if it does target units close to it, it's not going to be an "anti-melee" unit. One unit is almost never good against a swarm of units. That's the philosophy of the Zerg in the first place.

Since it only has a regular attack that does 30 damage and no AoE effect, it's not going to be stopping large swarms of Zerglings. Or even small ones.

2. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

but that doesn't justify giving it such a weakness allowing one single zergling to kill it if it got close. it's just beacuse some is stupid does not justify putting him in a mental hospital.

3. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    I wasn't suggesting that it have a minimum range. I think it should be able to hit any and all units that come in range. I thought you would have read my previous posts. I was just saying that even if it does, it won't change its weakness, etc....

4. Overling

Overling New Member

Well, on one side, in case the Thor is heavily armored (anyone got any data to base at?) small units will deal small damage too. Even surrounded by lings (w/out adrenal glands upgrade) they would do 1 damage each, or close to it. Even divided by 10 simultaneous lings, it would take 70 attacks to kill it. Adding an SCV on the back, even more than that. If it has got an armor tougher than 4 points (upgradeable by 1 point per level) lings won't kill him as fast as we are thinking.

Command Centers don't have high armor, and can be more easily surrounded as they're larger. That's what's getting us the idea that Thor would fall to lings like butter. But that might not be the case.

If anyone got any data about Thor armor, surely would help! ^_^

5. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

@jon: sorry i misunderstood your previous post, i thought implied that you thought it doesn't matter if the thor have minimum range or not. if it makes people happy maybe it will damage itself slightly when shooting at its feet?

6. ShoGun

ShoGun Guest

My thoughts on the Thor:

First of all, I think it shouldn't do splash damage, but rather focused on doing higher amounts of damage to single targets only.

The high amounts of armor and hit points it has could be a good thing; the Thor could be used to draw enemy fire away from other units. But that would make it seem similar to the ultralisk, so I don't know if that’s such a good play role for the Thor to have. Any thoughts on this? And sorry if there was some huge discussion about it that I missed, I just don't feel like checking back to 40 pages of posts, but I still would like to know what anyone else thinks.

On another topic about the Thor, I posted an idea on giving the Thor an ability like the Viking, to transform into a massive aerial juggernaut. This new unit could even replace the battle cruiser, with different abilities but still emphasize the same strategies as the original battle cruiser used in starcraft 1. The transformation would take time unlike the Viking, so guerilla raids would not be as possible. Besides being tactically versatile, it would also solve the problem for transporting thors around.

7. Hadean

Hadean New Member

Hamilton, Ontario
    LOL @ the fact that Thor might be getting cut from the team. Shitty deal really, cause it looked to be a really sick unit.

8. LxMike

LxMike New Member

I saw on Starcraft Armory that the Thor cost 300 mineral, 300 gaz, 10supplies. It has 900hp but cost 50 mineral less then a Battlecruiser.

Oh and just imagine a thor with a normade... active defense matrix on thor ( takes 50% less damage) + nano repaire ( instant +200hp) OMG...

Edited out quotes. Please read the forum rules and refrain from quoting unnecessarily.

9. Ursawarrior

Ursawarrior New Member

somewhere....not sure
    I'm still wondering why only the protoss race has an ultimate weapon, it sounds kinda unfair and/or unbalanced........ (and where are the new zerg units?)

10. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Or, it could be unique races. *gasp* "Holy cow, Batman!"

11. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Because the other races don't need a super unit to get the job done. Remember in its original form it took 1000 minerals and 1000 gas to get one mothership operational. That is quite a liability once you add the cost of the fleet you have to protect it with unless you want a 500/500 fleet shooting it down.

12. Heavyarms2050

Heavyarms2050 New Member

so according to the new batch, #24, thor has to be killed twice in order to be completely destroy. The first will only immobilize it but due to its massive size, its still capable of attacking. It can be repair to walk again. Also note, the thor is a heavy anti air unit now.

13. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Oh.
    My.
    God.
    They tried the Thor as a superunit. I fell on the floor. Almost.

Now with Cobras gone, Vikings would fit in the Factory again.

14. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    So if they finalize the Thor as a superunit that means only one Thor which would suck. I just hope they don't touch the Thor any more and work on the other issues as the Thor seems pretty much balanced out with the earlier issues.

15. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Cobra isn't for sure gone guys.

They said REPLACING. They didn't say anything about the Cobra being cut. It could just have had a role shift. ;)

But I still vote for the Viking to move back to its rightful place ;).

16. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    I'm not sure if I'm happy with the changes or not. For example making Thor a GTA unit seems rather odd to me.

What they really need to address is how Thors will be transported.

17. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    They shouln't be. But if so, they should be salvagable.

18. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Also keep in mind Blizzard said the Thor was a heavy and air attack unit, which means the Thor will also be good against units such as Siege Tanks and Colossi, which would make it much better than if it was just an anti-air unit.

19. Maelstrom

Maelstrom New Member

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Info on the batch was a tad bit limited.. but for what it said, we could say that the Thor is getting into Superunit grounds. It seems to have massive GTA cappabilites, Huge hitpoints (900hp?), possibly a very good armor (most of the mech units that have over 200 hp have at least 1 base armor, so we could assume it has at least 2 base armor due to its gigantic hp), and it even seems to have a decent GTG attack as well. And if it still retains the bombardment ability, then as you can see we have a uber unit in our hands, no matter its cost.
    It would make sense, because the Protoss now have the Mothership as their superunit.
    Still, I liked the old Thor better. You know, it reminded me of the Trebuchet (Age of empires anyone?), mighty siege unit with poor to none AA capabilities. But well.. as I mentioned in other threads, I'm confident that Blizzard will even things out and eventually when the game comes out we're gonna love it no matter what.

20. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.